Sumosprings with Bilsteins 4600 shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 03:26 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sumosprings with Bilsteins 4600 shocks

Sumosprings were installed on my F350 yesterday as well as Bilstein shocks. The Sumos are sort of a passive airbag. A look underneath shows they come to about 1/2" from the bump arms on the driver side and 3/4" on the passenger side so they will engage sooner than Timbrens, but they are softer than Timbrens. I had measured a 2" sag with my fiver hooked up prior to installation. That sag is now 1.5" which is a relief as my fiver has gone from 1/4" nose high to 3/4" nose high and I can live with that. I have a trip scheduled in a week and can report on the ride after that. With the fiver hooked up, the Sumos are fully engaged and are more like passive airbags than bump stops like Timbrens. I am a little bummed that I can't accurately judge changes made by the new Bilsteins as the Sumos engage on all but the smallest bumps. On my 2011 F150, the Bilsteins on the rear were a significant improvement both towing and unloaded.
I believe the Sumosprings could reduce sway as they should limit lean to one side or the other.

40 mile ride review of Sumosprings and Bilstein shocks on the rear. Since I was only able to put 5 miles on the F350 after the install, I took it out for a 40 mile trial and fun ride. It is hard to tell what did what for the ride, but I went on some moderately rough country roads and the truck seems to ride a little better than OEM. The slap seems to be gone when I hit a bump. The real surprise was "S" curves. I mentioned that I thought the Sumos would limit lean, but it felt very similar to when I put a Hellwig sway bar on the rear of my 2003 Tundra. I was taking mountain curves at about 10 mph over the caution speed signs. Instead of rolling to the side, the truck cornered flat, rotating through the curves instead of plowing through them. I had planned to install the Bilsteins anyway, but the Sumosprings were an after thought as I don't have much sag while towing. If I had it to do over, I would do it sooner. Recommended!
https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...SR-114-54.html

Old 08-08-2017, 07:04 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,517 Likes on 1,318 Posts
Good report, keep us updated as they get a little age and settle in if they do.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:09 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by scraprat
Good report, keep us updated as they get a little age and settle in if they do.
Since the Sumos don't touch the bump stop arms while driving unloaded on smooth roads, I expect very little settling until I do some towing. I have measured the distance from the arms so I will be able to tell how much settling occurs over time. I do have a significant trip planned for the fall of about 2000 miles and it will be interesting to see how things look at the end of that.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:43 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
After about 500 miles of towing, I can see no "settling" with the Sumosprings. The towing feels a little more stable, probably due to the anti-sway effect I mentioned. In searching for information on them, I found they are popular with motorhome owners as Sumos are made in several configurations for front and back, as coil spring packs (between the coils) to stiffen coil spring suspensions, as Timbren like bump stops like mine and like an airbag that connect to both the frame and axle. I didn't really have a sag issue, but, if I get another fiver, it will be much heavier and I'll be ready. I think these would be really good for F250 trucks that have more sag than the owner likes. These are a cheaper maintenance free solution than air bags and not as abrupt as some Timbren owners have described. Recommended.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:21 PM
stufarmer
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
After about 500 miles of towing, I can see no "settling" with the Sumosprings. The towing feels a little more stable, probably due to the anti-sway effect I mentioned. In searching for information on them, I found they are popular with motorhome owners as Sumos are made in several configurations for front and back, as coil spring packs (between the coils) to stiffen coil spring suspensions, as Timbren like bump stops like mine and like an airbag that connect to both the frame and axle. I didn't really have a sag issue, but, if I get another fiver, it will be much heavier and I'll be ready. I think these would be really good for F250 trucks that have more sag than the owner likes. These are a cheaper maintenance free solution than air bags and not as abrupt as some Timbren owners have described. Recommended.
you answered my questions about SumoSprings. Thanks for your report !

Old 10-22-2017, 08:28 AM
Krazyhorse
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I added Timbren springs on this and my last truck. They are a similar product and I would not tow without them. Huge improvement in towing stability. I have not yet swapped out my rancho shocks, and have been quite pleased on my current 7000 mile towing trip in the Rockies. The F-350 suspension is way better than my 2011 Chev 3500.

I think that I will leave the stock shocks on until about 15 k.....

Old 10-22-2017, 09:07 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have looked at these over the years. One of my questions has been which is the better route to take. The Timbren system is rated for 8,600 pounds where the Sumospring is a much lower rated I believe the number was 3,800 pounds plus or minus a pound.

I can see where the higher rated Timbren may give a much stiffer ride or slap simply due to the rating of 8600#.

As well I can see where the Sumospring would be a much softer slap due to the hollow construction and lighter load rating.

But, is the Sumospring set up, up to the task or am I over thinking the Bigger and Bader is BETTER thought process.

I am also having trouble finding out if the Sumospring version will fit a Dual Rear Wheel F350 2013.

Thanks for all of the sharing and impute.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:04 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
There is no slap. Don't forget the truck suspension is still doing the majority of the work and you are not going to add 8600 lbs over the truck rating, so I am not sure what those numbers mean. I had a few places on Virginia highways where the asphalt highway and concrete bridges were not aligned with no warning signs and bottomed on the stops and that is why I got the Sumos. When I hit those with the Sumos (they are always a surprise), the hit is not as severe. What I like most is less lean in curves whether loaded or not. The Sumos are longer than Timbrens so they engage sooner and are always engaged when the fiver is hooked up. You can call Supersprings about fitment for your application. I was concerned because I have the factory fiver prep, but it was not an issue.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:40 AM
kurthb
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Skismuggs..wondering your thoughts on the Summosprings, whether you think, from your experience they will help stabilize the tow vehicle? I upgraded to a bigger 5er earlier this year and although it is heaver than my previous (weighing in at 8300#) it wants to wiggle the truck. I think the pin is a bit light as never had any issues with the previous 2 5ers. (but I am very limited on being able to increase pin weight)
I did upgrade to Bilstein 4600 and added a Hellwig rear sway bar, but wanted more stability.
Was also thinking air bags

the truck only squats about 1 1/4" loaded.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:06 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Given they help flatten the truck through curves, I imagine they will stabilize the rear under load. You will be on the Sumos by 3/4" of squat. Had you gotten the Sumos first, you wouldn't have needed the Hellwig. However, if the wiggle is caused by the fiver not having sufficient pin weight, then you need to resolve that first. You can upgrade the single Grp 24 battery to a pair of Grp 27 or 31s, place heavy items in the front of the basement, etc.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:54 PM
kurthb
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Getting the camper to behave is a work in progress. I upgraded from grp 24 to 27, but just a single battery. Don't have much room for more in the basement, other than to try to make some room for a couple buckets of wood.
Camper weighs 8180 loaded with a weekend worth of stuff. Pin weight is about 1340 which is about 16%. Looks like if I am able to add about 400# I can get pin up to 20%. (although 400# is allot given the lack of available room)

Old 01-09-2018, 09:23 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Not to bring an old thread up from the deep abbess. But after dragging my feet for a few months I did receive my SumoSprings yesterday and look forward to crawling under the truck this morning to do the install.

I'll come back and post how it goes.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:40 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
I had mine done (both Bilsteins and Sumos) by a shop that prices fairly and I am sure glad I did. They ran into a problem with one of the OEM bump stops having so much undercoating on the threads that it took them over 20 minutes to finally cut that bolt off.
No updates and I am still pleased with them.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:55 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
I had no problems removing the OEM bump stops. I did shoot them down with a shot of WD40 yesterday however.

That being said, the Sumo bump stop on the passenger side went on without a hitch other than being a little limited on room turning the ratchet. The studs are very long compared to the OEM studs, I was glad to have a set of pass thru sockets.

Now the driver side is a little more difficult to get to the nut and bump stop stud due to the wire harness running almost directly on top of where the stud comes thru the frame. Not impossible to deal with, but not as easy as the passenger side. My issue came when just as the nylon lock nut touched the frame it stopped tightening. It just started to spin, I hadn't even made to a solid contact point yet. I had to remove the Sumo bump stop and discovered that the threads were stripped on the stud. I'm guessing that I received a merchandise return, which would make sense since the bump stops looked an off colored yellow. I tried calling the Sumo Springs customer service and also the Tech line for Sumo. After going though the button pushing, listening to a poor sounding recording that leads you back to a place to leave a message and not hearing back from the company I gave up. I called Amazon and explained what I needed and they are sending out a new complete box that will be here on Thursday.

Amazon Customer Service to the rescue. But makes me wonder about a Limited Lifetime Warranty of the Sumo Product when they don't answer the phone nor return your inquiries.

I'll update when there is something to update.

ON EDIT:
I did take some extra washers and place on the top side of the frame as spacers so that I could bolt down the driver side Sumo bump stop in place until the new replacement arrives. I didn't want to be without my truck for 2 days and this seemed like a quick temporary fix.

UPDATE ON SUMO SPRINGS:

I did receive a phone message from Sumo yesterday afternoon. It came from a cell phone so chances are that I would not have answered the call had I been home thinking it was another telemarketer.

The message was that he had received a message that I was experiencing a problem with an installation of their product and wanted to see what he could do to help me out.
Seems with all of the flooding in CA. they have been temporarily displaced resulting in a delay getting back with me and the reason his call was coming in from a personal cell phone.

So, as I sit here getting ready to eat a big ole helping of "eating crow" I would like to state that it appears that Sumo Super Springs does provide top notch dedicated customer service even in the worst of natures flooding wrath.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:51 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Sounds like you took personal initiative to adapt and improvise.

Quick Reply: Sumosprings with Bilsteins 4600 shocks