1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about downgrading to a gasser from Power Stroke...looking for inputs

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 05:24 AM
Cwsocks
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes Cpap, a larger TT or maybe a fiver.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:49 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 944 Likes on 581 Posts
I keep hearing 5 Star. I've had their tunes in a 2014 6.2 and my current 2016. Mileage did not improve. Towing a 7x18 enclosed with 4 motorcycles from the Canadian border area of New York to Daytona did not show me any noticeable improvements in power or towing ability. 7.5 to 9 mpg. Save your $400+ and drive it the way Ford engineered it.
As noted, it may seem like it's screaming in the hills and will sometimes drop down into 2nd gear in extremes. But that's what they do. At least the 3.73s anyway.
I just took a 150 mile round trip on the interstate yesterday with no load, no trailer. Driving 70-72 mph most of the time it did high 13's to 14.0 mpg. Local towing of my other 7x18 enclosed business trailer (about 5500# worth) I'm in the 9-10 mpg range. Bringing home an empty 21' PJ 14k tilt bed from PA a couple weeks ago it was in the 11's. About the same when hauling a Bobcat 709 backhoe (attachment only, no skid steer) on the PJ about 120 miles from home.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:18 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I live just south of Knoxville. Last year I towed my old 30' travel trailer that weighed 6k dry to the outer banks of NC. Right through the gorge then across black mountain east of Ashville. But I also had a golf cart in the bed. It scaled out to a 8500lbs load. With the the stock 245/75r17's and 3.73 gears, the truck did great and I averaged just shy of 10mpg keeping my speed at 65mph. The truck will have zero issues running the speed limit or 5 over through the mountains, and black mountain will be your hardest pull, but you will never see 2nd gear unless you get stuck behind a semi and have to speed back up. My butthole puckered when I saw the state trooper at the top, because I was running <10 over in 3rd gear(not on the floorboard) when I got there. You may or may not have to lock out 6th on the flats, depending on the frontal area of your trailer.

My thoughts is this, if you can keep it under 70(which you should because of the 65mph speed rating on trailer tires), you will not regret the switch. If you want to try and run 75-80, your going to hate it, because the truck will feel like it is working hard all the time. A diesel will not give a $#\+ how fast you want to pull it. I prefer the 4.30 gears myself(my dad owns a 4.30 truck), but I think the 4.30's really shine daily driving around town. If you get a truck with 20" wheels, I would consider 4.30's a necessity, at least with pre '17 trucks for my liking.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:32 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
800 pound feet of torque.... is great going over the Rockies.... otherwise its good for QUICK acceleration.. but towing a trailer

like others have said.. most trailer tires are only rated to 65mph. trailer frontal area kills mileage.

my last trip ... down and back.. NE Ohio to South Texas 1,800 miles x2 = 3,600 miles
cat scaled weight .. truck, motorcycle, cargo, trailer.. = 16,980 pounds..
I averaged 9 mpg... there and back. I stay between 55 and 60..
remember my truck has 150,000 miles... and it still does NOT consume any oil..

diesel is a 10K up-charge, 4x4 is a 9k up-charge... fancy trim = Big $$$$$$$$$$$.

your life, your money, your truck..
if you can see my signature.. it details my rig.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:30 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,630 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpap
I have owned a 2013 F250 Powerstroke for ~2 years and have had more problems with it than any other vehicle I've owned (no drive train related problems). Combining this fact with the maintenance costs of the Powerstroke I am considering switching to a cheaper gas 3/4 ton and would like input from anyone who has had the experience of gas vs diesel in a 3/4 ton truck. I understand I will lose power and fuel economy but will I regret it the 1st time I tow to the mountains? Right now I tow a 6500 lb travel trailer and go to the NC/Tenn mountains about once a year; the rest of my towing is flat. I can see getting a larger camper in the future. In the past 2 years I have towed about 5000 miles so I do tow a fair amount. Any input would be appreciated.
Do you know a friend that owns a 6.2L gasser?? If so, maybe you and he could hook up and tow with his rig to see if the high rev's are something you could live with. While the 6.2 is a great platform, I found that towing with it was like having a job/going to work!! The worst part was the noise level inside the cabin when the 6.2 spun up (had a Lariat,BTW)!! Drove me nuts!! And if you go with a larger, heavier trailer the 6.2 is going to spin even more. And remember...................even the 6.2 gasser will have a whole bunch of electronics that can go wrong! Electronic gizmo's are just that! The reality is likely about the same percentage across the board whether one has a PowerStroke or a gasser. But since there are many more diesels out there it SEEMS like they are more problematic. Hope you get it figured out!!!

Old 08-09-2017, 08:53 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpap
I have owned a 2013 F250 Powerstroke for ~2 years and have had more problems with it than any other vehicle I've owned (no drive train related problems). Combining this fact with the maintenance costs of the Powerstroke I am considering switching to a cheaper gas 3/4 ton and would like input from anyone who has had the experience of gas vs diesel in a 3/4 ton truck. I understand I will lose power and fuel economy but will I regret it the 1st time I tow to the mountains? Right now I tow a 6500 lb travel trailer and go to the NC/Tenn mountains about once a year; the rest of my towing is flat. I can see getting a larger camper in the future. In the past 2 years I have towed about 5000 miles so I do tow a fair amount. Any input would be appreciated.
I wen from 5.4 V8 to 6.8 V10, than to the 6.4l. what a mistake I made getting ride of a perfectly good and trouble free paid for 2008 f-350 v-10 CC LB 4.11 with 58K miles for a ford diesel. for what you are towing...a low miles v-10 f-350 would do you fine.

with the diesel's is one thing after the other and everytime to think you cleared one problem , you discover another.

Im going with evans coolant next at a cost of 600. hoping it will prevent the fuel pump cavitation, coolant rust related egr and coolant exchange issues.

long way to go before I am comfortable taking my truck on a long multi state trip.

I would have take the 6.8 anywhere with out a second thought.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:52 AM
PROSTOCK
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
You guys are nuts, there is no comparison from a 6.7 to a 6.2. Totally different beasts. I have had 15 years experience with a V10 and 4.30 gears and now the 6.7, different leagues. A friend has a '14 6.2 I borrowed for a test pull when considering my latest purchase and it was just about the same as my V10 . My camper is 7700lbs dry and while the V10 could handle it, the diesel doesn't know it's there, especially in hills and more especially at high altitude. No tune is going to compensate for lower air density other than forced induction. I've towed over 3,000 miles since June 1st and I couldn't be happier with the performance. MPG while towing is about 12, the V10 about 7.
Not bashing the gas guys, because I was one, but there is no comparison.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:16 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 944 Likes on 581 Posts
Originally Posted by PROSTOCK
I don't think it's a question of bashing anyone. I think guys are just trying to help the OP figure out what's best for his particular needs.
If he's not towing heavy and/or often, I wouldn't (and didn't for myself) see the need for a $9k option engine that costs much more to maintain. And where I live, diesel always costs more than gas. So I'd have to put a million miles on for enough fuel savings to make up that $9k and additional maintenance cost.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:23 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
You guys are nuts, there is no comparison from a 6.7 to a 6.2.
You said guys, plural? There's been one person that kinda compared the power of the two as close. Most, have commented that the diesel is a much better towing option. No ones bashing your 6.7 here, pipe down just a little. at least he is sticking with a ford

Old 08-09-2017, 10:43 AM
PROSTOCK
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
People? (piping down) LOL Totally not bashing the 6.2, and certainly not Ford. And I also don't hold the 6.7 as mightier than anything else. Just want the OP to know there is a huge divide between the two. He knows what diesel is all about and had "problems". He may not know what a gasser is like, and that it too can still have "problems" regardless of towing ability.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:39 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Pipe down was not intended as derogatory, I just meant to calm down, and the term I should have used. I apologize. Regardless if you think the diesel and the gasser are the same with reliability(which I don't), you can't deny the out of warranty cost of repairs is much higher on a diesel. He doesn't specify what issues he has had, but I'm guessing it's not a lot of gas/diesel interchangeable stuff since he is looking to switch. I'm betting its warning lights or things like fuel/DEF. just a guess. OP, please elaborate on those.

You can go back and read my post, bragging on the 6.7's ability. Would I have a 6.7? Certainly would, but I would need to be towing heavy very often or the truck making me significant money before I ever thought about going back to diesel.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:57 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
You guys are nuts, there is no comparison from a 6.7 to a 6.2. Totally different beasts. I have had 15 years experience with a V10 and 4.30 gears and now the 6.7, different leagues. A friend has a '14 6.2 I borrowed for a test pull when considering my latest purchase and it was just about the same as my V10 . My camper is 7700lbs dry and while the V10 could handle it, the diesel doesn't know it's there, especially in hills and more especially at high altitude. No tune is going to compensate for lower air density other than forced induction. I've towed over 3,000 miles since June 1st and I couldn't be happier with the performance. MPG while towing is about 12, the V10 about 7.
yep, im nuts. on a 1000 mile trip using your MPG numbers and NYC fuel costs the savings in MPG to use a diesel vs a gasser is 167 dollars.

Diesel 12mpg @2.81 per gallon 1000 mile trip = It will take 83.33 gallons or 315.45 litres of gas with fuel cost of $234.17.

Gas 7mpg @2.81 per gallon 1000 mile trip = it will take 142.86 gallons or 540.77 litres of gas with fuel cost of $401.43.

Diesel advantage in MPG= on this comparison is a savings of 167.

but the true cost of operating a diesel goes beyond just fuel. all you need to do is add all your maint and repair cost and divide that cost by the miles you used it and get the operating costs...add that number to the fuel costs...and it becomes obvious.

I just spent 125 in 16 gallons of oil to do an oil change....my last change was about 1500 miles ago. I cant get 2500, 5000, 10000 miles between an oil change due to fuel dilution. Once I hit 1 gallon excess oil due to fuel dilution, I change my oil. Every week I check the oil and pour about 1qt excess into a 1 gallon clear container. when that container fills up, time to change the oil.

edit: I have to run 15W40 or greater knowing as it dilutes..it will thin out. wouldnt dare put 5W40 in it.

I do a lot of local less than 20 minute trips. when the regen time comes...I have to drive the truck on the highway fo 40 minutes at 50mph to complete the regen.

I would not recommend a diesel to do a job a gasser can do.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:19 PM
Cpap
New User
Originally Posted by Ron94150
Pipe down was not intended as derogatory, I just meant to calm down, and the term I should have used. I apologize. Regardless if you think the diesel and the gasser are the same with reliability(which I don't), you can't deny the out of warranty cost of repairs is much higher on a diesel. He doesn't specify what issues he has had, but I'm guessing it's not a lot of gas/diesel interchangeable stuff since he is looking to switch. I'm betting its warning lights or things like fuel/DEF. just a guess. OP, please elaborate on those.

You can go back and read my post, bragging on the 6.7's ability. Would I have a 6.7? Certainly would, but I would need to be towing heavy very often or the truck making me significant money before I ever thought about going back to diesel.
The problems I've had have had nothing to do with it being diesel... all stuff that would've happened to an equivalent gasser. Window regulator, power mirror, ABS module, premature front end parts are the things I have had problems with. I am actually considering Ram/GM also because I have had so many problems.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:19 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
My V10 loves to rev, but even with headers and a Magnaflow, it's not that loud in the cab. And, "loves to rev" is relative: compared to a diesel, yes, it winds up pretty high. Compared to any other gas engine, it's completely normal. The 4.7L Ram I drive for work cranks past 5k regularly if I have to make it get up in a hurry (of course it sounds like it's going to hemorrhage its rods after 4k).

Old 08-09-2017, 12:54 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just got back from NH. Towing a 10,000 lb. 5ver. Easy as pie. Anyone that says a 6.7 is as reliable as a 6.2 is either misinformed or a diesel fanboy. Fear not and enjoy!😊

Quick Reply: Thinking about downgrading to a gasser from Power Stroke...looking for inputs