Cat Scale Weights and Weight Distribution - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Cat Scale Weights and Weight Distribution

Old 08-10-2017, 07:43 PM
Posting Guru

HRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to behold
If you need air bags to make your WDH work then maybe you need a new WDH. They come in different ratings. My Blue Ox had 1,000 lb bars but could go up a lot higher as well as lower.

A high PSI in the air bags will certainly stiffen the ride of the tow vehicle, but it beats the heck out of riding on the bump stops.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:55 AM
Post Fiend

seventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
It looks like your WDH is doing its job.
Does it tow OK in that configuration? If it does then I wouldn't be worried about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Tech View Post
wonder if you expectations are the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simps View Post
I just needed some direction on weights because the back end sags and feels different than my past tow vehicles.
Just going back over the start of this thread, I would argue that your current WDH is working well. if I'm reading all this correctly, your main complaint is that the rear end is sagging too much, which isn't what a WDH is supposed to fix.

And just to be 100% crystal clear, you aren't happy with how it feels going down the road, but can you describe that a little more? It's entirely possible that changes to WDH and suspension will not make it feel "like it isn't there".

I'd hate to see you throw a bunch of money at this issue and still be unhappy.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:22 AM
Junior User

Simps is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventyseven250 View Post
Just going back over the start of this thread, I would argue that your current WDH is working well. if I'm reading all this correctly, your main complaint is that the rear end is sagging too much, which isn't what a WDH is supposed to fix.

And just to be 100% crystal clear, you aren't happy with how it feels going down the road, but can you describe that a little more? It's entirely possible that changes to WDH and suspension will not make it feel "like it isn't there".

I'd hate to see you throw a bunch of money at this issue and still be unhappy.
Thanks for checking in. I have adjusted the RAS a couple of times. Trying to find the balance between harsh rear ride and rear sag. I understand that the wdh is there to redistribute weight to the steer axle.

Just looking for a good balance that will provide for reduced sag, weight distribution, and bearable ride.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:40 AM
Post Fiend

seventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud of
Sounds like you are on the right track. it's a balancing act, and the rear suspension that provides the best towing experience isn't likely to prvide a great unloaded ride.
My preference would be to own two trucks, but for me and most people, that's not feasible.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Posting Guru

HRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to behold
On my half ton truck the WDH made a significant difference on the rear end sag. Maybe it just pushed the front end down to make the sag look better or maybe it actually raised the rear end some, I dunno. But it sure made a difference. Visible as well as how it felt when towing.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:36 PM
Post Fiend

RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
On my half ton truck the WDH made a significant difference on the rear end sag. Maybe it just pushed the front end down to make the sag look better or maybe it actually raised the rear end some, I dunno. But it sure made a difference. Visible as well as how it felt when towing.
it does raise the rear, just measure the wheel wells. With too stiff wd bars you can actually unweighted the rear axle making for s whole other handling problem.

Steve
Old 08-13-2017, 11:33 AM
Post Fiend

I'm not trying to say that it doesn't take weight off the rear axle, but that's not (in my mind) the primary benefit/function. You absolutely can have a well adjusted WDH system and still have too much rear end sag.