1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

VIN location

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 11:25 PM
zrae
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VIN location

Hey everyone. I am wondering where you will find the VIN on a 49 Mercury M68. I have found the one on the firewall. The insurance company is required to sight 2 VIN's before they will let me do a "registration while in restoration" so I can have proper ownership of the vehicle before I start sinking money into it. The vehicle currently will not pass an out of province inspection. Thanks.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:45 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Where did you bring the vehicle from ? And it should be on the top of the frame by the steering box.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:22 PM
zrae
Junior User
Originally Posted by matthewq4b
Where did you bring the vehicle from ? And it should be on the top of the frame by the steering box.
The truck is originally from Alberta. It was my great grandfathers farm truck.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:38 PM
Grey Beard
Senior User
Or it could be on the passenger side top of the frame rail. That's where mine ended up being. Someone told me it depended on if the stamper was left or right handed. (That could be an urban legend as I have no proof).

Old 07-28-2017, 04:10 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
If you have a bill of sale from the estate, family member etc from Alberta that is all you should need.

Alberta does not title vehicles though Motor Vehicles, the vehicle registration in Alberta is NOT legal proof of ownership.
Even in Alberta if you sell a vehicle and the vehicle registration is completed and signed to the new owner it MUST be accompanied with a bill of sale. As the bill of sale is the legal proof of transfer of ownership.

Proof of ownership documents in Alberta are as such.

- Be original
When the purchaser signs a carbon-copy ownership document (i.e. Bill of Sale from dealership), the carbon copy is considered an original ownership document because the signature is transferred to all copies at the same time

- Contain the following elements which must not be altered in any way unless the changes are initialed by all parties to the document [buyer(s) and seller(s)]:
o Date of purchase and / or agreement
o Buyers/lessee’s name and signature
o Sellers/lessor’s name and signature
o Vehicle description (e.g. Make, Model, VIN and year)

An Alberta bill of sale is the legal proof of ownership and of course the VIN should be on that as far as the vehicle ownership is concerned what the VIN is on the vehicle ownership documents from Alberta is what it is.
That is all ICBC needs to transfer the ownership to you.
They will do it but you have to stand your ground and tell them that they can not refuse the legal transfer of ownership documents from Alberta otherwise you end up jumping though a pile of hoops for ICBC and they even state on their website a bill sale is all that is needed to title in B.C for an out province vehicle (excepting Nova Scotia).

If you have a bill of sale with VIN there should be no need to supply verification of the second VIN.

ICBC likes the bureaucracy and will make it as difficult as possible and get you do a pile of unnecessary leg work, cause you know... Government.