1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

AC Compressor issue? (Magnetic clutch?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 10:02 AM
Brett_N
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC Compressor issue? (Magnetic clutch?)

I'm probably answering my own question, but....has anyone had the AC clutch fail?

2006 Expy 5.4L

I just replaced the serpentine belt and ALL the idler pulleys (was getting the dreaded belt whine around 1800 RPM)

PO just replaced the alternator but not the belt, so I went back through everything and figured at 170K miles the idlers probably needed to go, and I was right. Half the bearings where so caked with dust I'm surprised they turned at all.

Anyway......after a drive to the lake, on the way back the AC would intermittenly just turn off. I'd also have a nasty nasty nasty belt whine / screech from under the hood.

Looks like $75 to replace the magnetic clutch assembly, but am I better off just replacing the whole compressor? Not sure where these things fail....does the compressor "lock up" or does the magnetic clutch lock up and cause the belt to slip, screeching like a banshee?

Old 07-24-2017, 10:52 AM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Brett_N
I'm probably answering my own question, but....has anyone had the AC clutch fail? ...
Our 2003 5.4L had the compressor develop a leak at 168k in the case gasket.
Had the compressor/clutch replaced with a Ford unit.
Worked fine for 2 months then the clutch bearing went out.
The clutch would grab intermittently at first giving spurts of cooling, then stopped completely so turned off the AC.
We were 3 hours from home and it was 115 deg.
By time we reached home there was a noticeable growl coming from the clutch bearing with the AC off.
The AC shop said the clutch bearing was bad, but replaced the entire unit under warranty.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:55 AM
Brett_N
Freshman User
Thanks R&T

I'm going to futz with it when I get home tonight.

Howling like a banshee is the best way to describe it. I'm guessing something has just siezed right up and the belt has to slip around the pulley causing the noise. If it howls with the AC ON, I'm betting the compressor is siezed up...ugh....and I live in Phoenix so it's going to have to be fixed LOL

Anyone know if you can replace the compressor at home without pulling the engine?

Old 07-24-2017, 11:13 AM
Hamfisted
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Yes you can remove the AC compressor without lifting the engine. It helps if you jack up the front right side and remove the front tire though. Is it a 4x2 ? Then it's not a bad job. If it's a 4x4 you might wanna take it to a shop LOL.

-Mike

Attached Images
Old 07-24-2017, 11:16 AM
Brett_N
Freshman User
4x4 of course LOL

thanks for the doc's.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:18 AM
Brett_N
Freshman User
Ham - any chance you can post up section 412-00 for me as well? Or did these finally end up on a repository somewhere?

Old 07-24-2017, 11:23 AM
Hamfisted
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Brett 412-00 is just the Climate Control table of contents. Is there something specific you were looking for? You can pickup a service manual on CD over on Ebay for a few bucks. Since it's a 4x4, crawl under the front right side and see what you think. If it's something you want to tackle.

-Mike

Old 07-24-2017, 11:50 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
Before doing anything else, remove the serpentine belt and check the compressor pulley's operation. I've had several where the bearings in the pulley failed with a lot of noise and one that even locked the whole engine up so that it wouldn't even crank. Got a ride home on the back of the AAA flatbed on that last one.

The clutch plate and the pulley are readily changed without removing the compressor.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:55 AM
Brett_N
Freshman User
Yep, that's going to be the fun for tonight if it's not raining here in the desert (my pool over-flowed last night, so yes, it does rain in Phoenix!)

just kills me that I had the serpentine off on SATURDAY and didn't check it LOL

Old 08-01-2017, 09:28 PM
Brett_N
Freshman User
The saga continues....

So, after 3x3 hour sessions of wrenching outside in 105* heat (Arizona) I FINALLY got the old bearing and clutch off.

I'm also the proud owner of 2 new sets of snap ring pliers, and a new 3 jaw puller set....

As I mentioned, I got the OLD BEARING off..... pop quiz.....how many different AC bearing sizes are available for a 2006 5.4? Ding ding ding...more than one.

Lucky me, I'm the proud owner of some random 2006 model with all stock AC, but the bearing is a totally different size than what all the parts shops and internet parts shops recommend. Yay.

Anyway the "recommended" Timken bearing is nowhere close to the one that was on there. So, the hunt begins...

Old 08-02-2017, 06:07 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
Why are you trying to replace just the bearing? A new pulley comes with a new bearing already installed.

At some point, you might decide it's easier to just replace the whole compressor.

All of the 2006 Expeditions should have come with the same SC115 scroll compressor. There were no other choices.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:47 AM
2trux
Mountain Pass
There should be a part number on the edge of the bearing or the plastic seal. That would be your best bet for finding a new one.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:23 AM
Brett_N
Freshman User
SHO, I would agree with you if I wasn't holding 2 different bearings - and it's "just" a bearing - this isn't supposed to be this difficult.

Trux - yes - old bearing has a part number but it doesn't come up in any searches.

NSK 35BD502ODUM1

Oh well, I'll order a whole new clutch and see if it's the right size

Old 08-02-2017, 10:28 AM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Brett_N
... Lucky me, I'm the proud owner of some random 2006 model with all stock AC, but the bearing is a totally different size than what all the parts shops and internet parts shops recommend. ...
I've had good luck taking the bearing to a bearing shop where they can measure it and match it up.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:30 AM
Brett_N
Freshman User
I just ordered a new clutch assembly, so fingers crossed that bearing is the right size. Worse comes to worse, I'll take it downtown to Bearing and Chain

Quick Reply: AC Compressor issue? (Magnetic clutch?)