Adding an Inverter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 07:37 PM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Adding an Inverter?

Looking for brand recommendations for adding an automatic pure sine wave inverter.

I have not decided if I want to only set up a few outlets yet or all of them. I'm thinking price will determine what I eventually end up doing because I'm planning on adding solar also.

If anyone has found so good write ups on this subject and wouldn't mind sharing them I would appreciate it. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before buying anything.

As always thanks in advance.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:00 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
No clue on the pure Sine Wave. I installed a cheapie Schumacher 2000w modified Sine Wave recently. The kids are watching TV and we have phones charging. I have run a small vacuum cleaner. A tire Inflator compressor. Ceiling fan. Air conditioner fan only not ac.

I just plugged in my 30 amp main cord to the inventor and turned off the circuit breaker for the stock 12v converter. Not the best way but it was simple and works for what I need. I also have a 1000w I am going to hook up to see if it is more efficient.

I was looking at pure Sine Wave first and decided to give this a try. Please post pictures of your install when complete as I am not thrilled with mine yet.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:17 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
no advice on Pure Sine wave.

I use a Harbor Fright 400 watt.. for 32 inch flat screen TV and a Directv satellite box.. a few chargers for phones....laptops.

wife reports the electric blanket will not work on it.

No problems.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:40 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 908 Likes on 328 Posts
My cardinal came with a xantrex prowatt 2000w inverter wired with auto transfer switch to power the residential refrigerator. Works great, but it is dedicated to just the reefer, so can't really speak to the rest.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:14 AM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
After doing some more research I really leaning towards setting up a system with an automatic transfer switch and tying the converter into my sub panel. Reasons being, 1, I don't want it forgotten that the inverter is in service and the generator get started and cause an issue. 2, I will be the one have to go out side in the middle of the night flipping the switches.

Chuck, from what I have read, your wife's electric blanket will not work unless you use a pure sine wave inverter.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:17 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bkuuz1
Thanks for the replies.
After doing some more research I really leaning towards setting up a system with an automatic transfer switch and tying the converter into my sub panel. Reasons being, 1, I don't want it forgotten that the inverter is in service and the generator get started and cause an issue. 2, I will be the one have to go out side in the middle of the night flipping the switches.

Chuck, from what I have read, your wife's electric blanket will not work unless you use a pure sine wave inverter.
yes, I know.. she can use the third blanket..

funny.. blanket will not work.. but a Smart TV and a satellite receiver will...

Enjoy your New project...

Old 07-17-2017, 08:53 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

i installed a Xantrex 2000 watt, which of course has the transfer switch. I have all my circuits except the AC and the water heater on it. That means I have two panels, the inverter has its own. Standard set-up. I think all the diagrams are in the Xantrex manual online. As long as you feed your inverter transfer from the original panel the generator is a non-issue.

I worked on on some pretty scary do-it-yourself projects, so be careful! I also have solar on the roof.

Steve

Old 07-18-2017, 12:00 PM
Sancho
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I added a relay that disables the converter, when on the inverter

Old 07-18-2017, 02:30 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Sancho
I added a relay that disables the converter, when on the inverter
what about your water heater and air conditioners?

Old 07-18-2017, 03:10 PM
Sancho
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Inverter is only 1000 watt,just for TV and dish dome.No air, and propane for the water heater.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:35 PM
Terryd91
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Looking for brand recommendations for adding an automatic pure sine wave inverter.

I have not decided if I want to only set up a few outlets yet or all of them. I'm thinking price will determine what I eventually end up doing because I'm planning on adding solar also.

If anyone has found so good write ups on this subject and wouldn't mind sharing them I would appreciate it. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before buying anything.

One of our companies builds and repairs inverter systems for coaches and the alternative energy field. if you want, PM me and i'll give you the contact info.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:31 AM
ibdagriz
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

This looks to be a pretty interesting unit. A bit pricey, but does a lot of things in one.

Griz

Old 09-08-2017, 10:52 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
All the major players have similar models that do the same things. Average lifespan according to the manufacturers is 9-10 years. However, most can be remaned when they go down. Normally they have to be sent to an authorized repair center. They will not simply sell you the parts.

Repair costs last time I sent one in was under $300 and turn around time was very fast, less than one week.

Here is a link to an industry standard http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Inv...-01_rev-2).pdf. The wiring diagrams are at the end. I would suggest if the diagram does not make sense to you, do not attempt the install yourself.

And yes they are pricey.

Steve

Old 09-08-2017, 11:09 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
All the major players have similar models that do the same things. Average lifespan according to the manufacturers is 9-10 years. However, most can be remaned when they go down. Normally they have to be sent to an authorized repair center. They will not simply sell you the parts.

Repair costs last time I sent one in was under $300 and turn around time was very fast, less than one week.

Here is a link to an industry standard http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Inv...-01_rev-2).pdf. The wiring diagrams are at the end. I would suggest if the diagram does not make sense to you, do not attempt the install yourself.

And yes they are pricey.

Steve

looks like it installs between the shore power cord and the rv fuse panel if I read option #1 correctly?

Old 09-08-2017, 11:18 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Correct, but option #1 means you have to remember to shut off the AC and water heater when inverting. I never used Option #1 and have never actually seen anyone use that Option. It's simple, but problematic as the end user has to remember to do something. A sure ticket for trouble!

Steve

Quick Reply: Adding an Inverter?