Shrink wrapping boat

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 01:13 PM
Capt. Ted
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Shrink wrapping boat

I'll be towing a 33' Hydra-Sports with triple yamahas on an aluminum Myco trailer with my 2017 F350 6.7 CC LWB from Lake Erie to the Gulf of Mexico.

I feel I have the right truck and the right trailer to do job.

My canvas isn't as good. It's tight, but not tight enough to hold in 70+ winds going down the road. I don't want to take it off, I'll never get it back on.

I'm considering stretch wrapping all or part of the boat.

Will this help with the aerodynamics?
Do I wrap the whole boat, engines, just around the helm area?
Do I use 7 mil or 10 mil?
What do I use for heat gun? Propane?

I'd appreciate you guys sharing your experiences.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:41 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts

Shrink wrapping my 30" RV for winter. WOW...photo posted MUCH larger than expected!!! They used propane with a wide burner.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:42 AM
JayTheCPA
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Recently helped haul a used boat and bumped into a guy that delivered expensive little ski boats (~$75K+ variety) for a living. He recommended that we strip the boat bare as that was what he always did and stated that no matter how well you think you have something secured or the tarp tight, the wind will find a way to mess with / shred it.

So, we yanked all the covers, cushions, and awnings and stowed them either within the boat or the truck. 3 hours later we got home with no issues.

Toward aerodynamics of shrink wrapping the boat for towing, suspect that the wind benefit is a 'maybe' depending on the rigging. Sure, the plastic will help lower parasitic drag from the rigging, but depending on any structures (radar bridge, etc . . .) can see where that any benefit from reduction in parasitic drag will get lost to resistance from the sail area.

My vote is to go with the experience from the professional hauler. Also, look for a new canvas to start using when you get to the Gulf.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:56 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,107 Likes on 1,795 Posts
After hauling a car less glass but inside full of stuff from CT to NC on an open car trailer I first laid down blankets and then a plastic tarp.
I got the tarp as tight as I could and when I pulled everything off the car body it had rub spots all over it from the wind moving the tarp & blankets.
The car was not painted was only in primer but you could tell it would have been ugly if it was painted.

I did think about the shrink wrap but timing & $$ would not allow it before the move.
I would remove anything from the boat that may poke thru the wrap up top but don't think you would need to remove the motors just wrap around them.
Unless they add too much weight off the back of the trailer making the front of the trailer too light for towing.
My .02
Dave ----

Old 07-24-2017, 08:15 AM
Capt. Ted
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, I'm worried about rubbing. I believe I can wrap around the boats frame, and not touch the isinglass.
As for the canvas. To replace is $5000-$7500 not an easy purchase.
It's $700-$900 to have wrapped professionally. I don't need the whole thing done. And don't want to spend an entire day removing it.
The engines are fine. I have M-YWedges to support the outboards. And they supplied wedges for the steering, so they don't move back and forth.
I just need some reinforcement around the cabin area. It will have a sail effect. I will open the tuna door. That should have a similar effect as leaving a tailgate down, relieving back pressure.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:18 AM
mrollings53
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You do realize that this is a boat right? They are meant to move through a fluid much more dense than air. You should only need to cover it to protect it from bugs, debris, and rain. Secure any loose items below deck, or in the truck. The boat was also tested to 62.5 mph, so I bet it should be able to handle freeway speeds.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:02 PM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I would get an estimate from a large marina in your area. They will have tons of expierence shrink wrapping boats and will have the equipment on hand. I see lots of boat MFGs shrink wrap prior to shipping boats out to dealers or for delivery. The canvas is an unknown. I think lots of Great Lakes boats get shipped South during the winter. I know New England boats get trucked south.