Transmission 'Flush'?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 10:07 AM
guessrow
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission 'Flush'?

Hello,

I recently bought a 2013 F150 XLT crew with the 5.0 engine (50K miles). It replaced an '04.

Anyway, I plan on doing ALL my own maintenance, so I am searching a bit on how to flush my transmission as best as possible by myself. Any thoughts or links to DIY flushes would be appreciated.

good luck -Jim

Old 07-16-2017, 12:07 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't do a flush rather just an outright fluid change, drop the pan, change filter. There are videos on youtube.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:32 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a great one. Not a flush but the filter/pan drain and refill. I know others will break the line at the trans cooler and use the transmission's hydraulic pump to pump it down; you just turn the engine off once the steady stream slows. Whether or not you are comfortable with doing that is up to you.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:48 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Here's what I have done on every vehicle (auto trans) that I have owned for 30 years....

At 20k miles, I change the filter (due to possible residual/initial wear particulates that may be floating inside) and either drain the torque converter (if so equipped with a plug- yours doesn't have one) or disconnect the trans cooler line at the radiator, fill the pan with fresh fluid, my wife starts the engine and when 2-3 quarts drain into a bucket, she shuts it off, I refill the pan and repeat until the fluid is clear and in case of the f150, 14 quarts of fresh fluid is in.

In regards to gaskets, the oem unit is a permanent reusable, with regards to filters, oem is fine and lifetime as well, but I typically use Wix and only replace after the 1st change.

In regards to trans oil, both in sticks and autos I have always used Valvoline.....
I have also never had a trans failure in any vehicle I own and typically keep my vehicles for 10+ years, with over 100k on the odometer.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:54 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
How frequently do you do the service?

Old 07-16-2017, 12:56 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They could've sped up the pan drop (in that video) and I wouldn't have a complained one bit

Old 07-16-2017, 01:17 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
The 6r80 has an internal thermostat which makes conventional flushes difficult. I have been reading and watching videos on this and ultimately decided to do my own pan drop, filter and partial fluid change despite the fact that there is no dipstick and checking the fluid after refill in increased in difficultly.

The dealers have flush machines equipped to heat the fluid enough to open the thermostat to allow flow in order to do an exchange. My dealer quoted me $279 to do this. For a bit over $100 I can do the partial change myself AND clean the pan and magnet. There is lots of good information on the subject here.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:21 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250
They could've sped up the pan drop (in that video) and I wouldn't have a complained one bit
Yeah, I forgot to mention the part where you should feel free to skip ahead frequently. It is thorough though!

Old 07-16-2017, 08:19 PM
guessrow
Tuned
So, how many quarts do you get when you drop the pan? 5 or 6 quarts? It appears to hold 13.1 quarts? A little less than half on a drain? I think I read a thread a while back where someone pot in an aftermarket pan that added 7 quarts to the capacity? If the capacity was 20 quarts and you got 12 or 13 on a drain, that would be somewhat better.

Anyone know of such a pan?

Old 07-17-2017, 07:13 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 341 Likes on 207 Posts
This has been debated and discussed many times on the forum, with some people swearing by the "life time fill" and never changing their fluid, others doing it every 50K, and then some in between like me who do it every 100K.

In a nutshell, best thing to do on these trucks is to drop the pan, replace the filter (available for around $20 bucks online), wipe out your pan and magnet really well, replace the pan with the reusable metal gasket (be careful not to bend the gasket or damage it), and then fill the trans with 5 quarts of fluid. You will have to then start the engine and add the additional 2-3 quarts of fluid to top it off.

Mercon LV fluid only!

To check fluid level, there IS a dipstick but it's located on the transmission housing right next to the right side catalytic converter, so you will have to be very careful OR do what I did and purchase a heat glove from Amazon.com or some other online vendor. A heat glove makes the job much easier so that you do not get burned during that last 2-3 quarts that go in, or during fluid level checks.

If your trans. temp is cold (just started the truck) use the first line on the dipstick. If the truck is hot, use the second line on the dipstick.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:14 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 341 Likes on 207 Posts
And as a side note, I put a larger aluminum aftermarket pan on my Mustang and so NO real reduction in temps. It was a waste of money. More fluid means that it's going to heat up slower, but it's still going to get to the same temperature and then it's going to take longer to cool off also.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:00 PM
FiveOJester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 242 Likes on 188 Posts
Getting ready to do this job. Looks like a big mess waiting to happen and I hate getting oil all over the garage floor. Any tips for containing all the fluid draining out from the pan?

One thing wonderful about the 5R110 in the Superduty's. They put a drain plug on the transmission! Super easy drain/refill, don't know why they don't do it here, I guess the whole "lifetime" fluid negates the need.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:27 PM
guessrow
Tuned
Originally Posted by FiveOJester
Getting ready to do this job. Looks like a big mess waiting to happen and I hate getting oil all over the garage floor. Any tips for containing all the fluid draining out from the pan?

One thing wonderful about the 5R110 in the Superduty's. They put a drain plug on the transmission! Super easy drain/refill, don't know why they don't do it here, I guess the whole "lifetime" fluid negates the need.

My thought is A: Go slow and have big pan AND B: Lots of floor dry. My plan is to install an aftermarket pan when I do my 1st drain. First benefit will be the drain plug and the second will be the added capacity for better peace of mind.

good luck -jim

Old 07-17-2017, 09:28 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Pull the cap and dipstick, then evacuate as much as can with a suction gun or other device. I have a glass gallon jar with a length of vinyl tubing/copper tube that I can connect to my MityVac or a/c vacuum pump. I can draw most of the fluid out before removing the pan. I also have a gallon pump up sprayer outfitted with a hook-shaped tube and ball valve for refilling the transmission. I originally rigged it up with some adaptors to fill my '05 Explorer that uses a standpipe and plug in the pan, instead of a dipstick.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:48 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I love reading about these DIY transmission oil changes. So much experience here and so many good ideas.

I did a fluid change on my '99 Taurus and I swore to core that I'll never loosen up another transmission pan again.

Ford is making this too hard IMHO. I'll pay for the flush.

Quick Reply: Transmission 'Flush'?