Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Slave Cylinder Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 10:34 PM
Lucca
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slave Cylinder Removal

Recently I had to have my clutch master/slave cylinder system replaced. Before I took it to the shop, I looked in this site and other places to see if I could do it myself. The first problem was that, according to the instructions, the slave cylinder was supposed to be pushed in then turned in order to come out. I tried to push it in, and it wouldn't budge. I tried to just turn it, and that didn't work either. I noticed that on the cylinder it had a label for turn clockwise to lock, counter to unlock. I also noticed that there were flat sides to the back of the cylinder which appeared to allow someone to get a crescent wrench and turn it. I'm going to be installing a Luk clutch in the future, and I know I will have to tackle this to get the slave cylinder out. My question is, can I use a crescent wrench to just twist it off, or does it really need to be pushed in first, then twisted to avoid damage ? Are there any special tools other than just gripping the flats sides to turn it. Maybe a roller pin at the spot where the cylinder attaches to the line that needs to be taken out first ? Also, what's the best way to take that cylinder out without dropping the push rod in there into the tranny, which would mean the tranny would definitely have to come off ? It would also be helpful to know this since it appears this master/slave system seems to be prone to malfunction quite a bit, and I might have to replace it again in the future. Any tips/advice would be GREATLY appreciated !

Mike