Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official Happy Hour Thread - Pull Up A Chair, Sit A Spell, What's The Latest?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 07:36 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
I think my car is invisible at times, I came up on one at about 100 ( I didn't bother slowing down). Thought he was coming for me.

Came across another going opposite direction, again about 100. When I noticed I gave her a little more juice to discourage him from coming after me.

I don't think I have much to lose, haven't had a ticket or insurance claim in well over 30 years.

LEO's imo for the most part have better things to do than stop a capable sports car on an empty stretch of highway with a 55 year old driving it.
If my logic failed, I would have paid and been happy to do that.... just kept her at 79 through Virginia they have a law that was not clear to me
HaHa I love it! I've been watching some VinWiki videos on Ed Bolien and his cannon ball runs, your post just gave me a hint of his mind set...if it happens it happens

Would VA be one of those states that anything over 80 is reckless driving?

Last time I lucked out was coming home from Fairbanks in the F-150 with the cruise set at 78 in a 65. The AK State trooper coming the other way just flipped his lights on for a second and I slowed but he kept going. It was in one of the long boring straight stretches that seems to go on forever...

Old 10-25-2017, 08:15 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx

Maybe someone from VA can chime in, think they use to lock you up for 11mph over.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:26 PM
travs66
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Does VA still have the no radar detector law as well? It’s been a few years since I’ve been in that neck of the woods.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:44 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Maybe someone from VA can chime in, think they use to lock you up for 11mph over.
Holy crap! The two tickets I've had have both been 20+ MPH over the limit. Luckily just cost me a few bucks...

Old 10-26-2017, 03:56 AM
Patrick McLevaine
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldguyfl
That will buff out !

Can't wait to see your upgrade !
I'm in Anchorage Good looking Ex before the wreck but i'm sure it'll be even better once you're done. I fixed and sold one last year that had minor front end damage also. Made a pretty penny on it
There's definitely a ton of opportunity up here!

Originally Posted by Stewart_H

Ouch!

Stewart
Here's the new face:

Bolted right up! Problem I've got now is that the PO was apparently obsessed with LEDs and put them in EVERYTHING in the truck! He used some hob **** Ebay junk to setup the head lights and had to splice in the units. I got the factory pig-tails but I have no blinkers now. My hazard flashers work but I get nothing when I activate the turn signal stalk tail or front. Also, the driver side head lamp seems to have some kind of high resistance in the circuit somewhere as it only gets enough juice on low beam to burn red with no light and the high beam is dim too the Passenger side seems to work fine though.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:44 AM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by travs66
Does VA still have the no radar detector law as well? It’s been a few years since I’ve been in that neck of the woods.
§ 46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit.
A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

§ 46.2-868. Reckless driving; penalties.
A. Every person convicted of reckless driving under the provisions of this article is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

B. Every person convicted of reckless driving under the provisions of this article who, when he committed the offense, (i) was driving without a valid operator's license due to a suspension or revocation for a moving violation and, (ii) as the sole and proximate result of his reckless driving, caused the death of another, is guilty of a Class 6 felony.

C. The punishment for every person convicted of reckless driving under the provisions of this article who, when he committed the offense, was in violation of § 46.2-1078.1 shall include a mandatory minimum fine of $250.

§ 46.2-1079. Radar detectors; demerit points not to be awarded.
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth when such vehicle is equipped with any device or mechanism, passive or active, to detect or purposefully interfere with or diminish the measurement capabilities of any radar, laser, or other device or mechanism employed by law-enforcement personnel to measure the speed of motor vehicles on the highways of the Commonwealth for law-enforcement purposes. It shall be unlawful to use any such device or mechanism on any such motor vehicle on the highways. It shall be unlawful to sell any such device or mechanism in the Commonwealth. However, provisions of this section shall not apply to any receiver of radio waves utilized for lawful purposes to receive any signal from a frequency lawfully licensed by any state or federal agency.

This section shall not be construed to authorize the forfeiture to the Commonwealth of any such device or mechanism. Any such device or mechanism may be taken by the arresting officer if needed as evidence, and, when no longer needed, shall be returned to the person charged with a violation of this section, or at that person's request, and his expense, mailed to an address specified by him. Any unclaimed devices may be destroyed on court order after six months have elapsed from the final date for filing an appeal.

Except as provided in subsection B of this section, the presence of any such prohibited device or mechanism in or on a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth shall constitute prima facie evidence of the violation of this section. The Commonwealth need not prove that the device or mechanism in question was in an operative condition or being operated.

B. A person shall not be guilty of a violation of this section when the device or mechanism in question, at the time of the alleged offense, had no power source and was not readily accessible for use by the driver or any passenger in the vehicle.

C. This section shall not apply to motor vehicles owned by the Commonwealth or any political subdivision thereof and used by law-enforcement officers in their official duties, nor to the sale of any such device or mechanism to law-enforcement agencies for use in their official duties.

D. No demerit points shall be awarded by the Commissioner for violations of this section. Any demerit points awarded by the Commissioner prior to July 1, 1992, for any violation of this section shall be rescinded and the driving record of any person awarded demerit points for a violation of this section shall be amended to reflect such rescission.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:53 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Originally Posted by unleashd
§ 46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit.
A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

§ 46.2-868. Reckless driving; penalties.
A. Every person convicted of reckless driving under the provisions of this article is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

B. Every person convicted of reckless driving under the provisions of this article who, when he committed the offense, (i) was driving without a valid operator's license due to a suspension or revocation for a moving violation and, (ii) as the sole and proximate result of his reckless driving, caused the death of another, is guilty of a Class 6 felony.

C. The punishment for every person convicted of reckless driving under the provisions of this article who, when he committed the offense, was in violation of § 46.2-1078.1 shall include a mandatory minimum fine of $250.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth when such vehicle is equipped with any device or mechanism, passive or active, to detect or purposefully interfere with or diminish the measurement capabilities of any radar, laser, or other device or mechanism employed by law-enforcement personnel to measure the speed of motor vehicles on the highways of the Commonwealth for law-enforcement purposes. It shall be unlawful to use any such device or mechanism on any such motor vehicle on the highways. It shall be unlawful to sell any such device or mechanism in the Commonwealth. However, provisions of this section shall not apply to any receiver of radio waves utilized for lawful purposes to receive any signal from a frequency lawfully licensed by any state or federal agency.

This section shall not be construed to authorize the forfeiture to the Commonwealth of any such device or mechanism. Any such device or mechanism may be taken by the arresting officer if needed as evidence, and, when no longer needed, shall be returned to the person charged with a violation of this section, or at that person's request, and his expense, mailed to an address specified by him. Any unclaimed devices may be destroyed on court order after six months have elapsed from the final date for filing an appeal.

Except as provided in subsection B of this section, the presence of any such prohibited device or mechanism in or on a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth shall constitute prima facie evidence of the violation of this section. The Commonwealth need not prove that the device or mechanism in question was in an operative condition or being operated.

B. A person shall not be guilty of a violation of this section when the device or mechanism in question, at the time of the alleged offense, had no power source and was not readily accessible for use by the driver or any passenger in the vehicle.

C. This section shall not apply to motor vehicles owned by the Commonwealth or any political subdivision thereof and used by law-enforcement officers in their official duties, nor to the sale of any such device or mechanism to law-enforcement agencies for use in their official duties.

D. No demerit points shall be awarded by the Commissioner for violations of this section. Any demerit points awarded by the Commissioner prior to July 1, 1992, for any violation of this section shall be rescinded and the driving record of any person awarded demerit points for a violation of this section shall be amended to reflect such rescission.

Holy crap! Almost as bad a Germany in the 40s

my worst, 23 mph over cost me $190 and 4 points with 2 removed for taking a "driver training course" so not terrible.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:49 AM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
FWIW, There are a bunch of other conditions leading to a reckless driving citation....and not just speeding

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacodef...ter8/article7/

Old 10-26-2017, 01:58 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
In GA, 20+ over and you get a "Super Speeder" fine which for my buddy that got one last month headed to our conference, the fine is $587 and double the points on your license.

Howdy guys! Long time no see!

Old 10-26-2017, 02:27 PM
travs66
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by unleashd

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth when such vehicle is equipped with any device or mechanism, passive or active, to detect blah blah blah...
Looks like it is still there

Old 10-26-2017, 02:31 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by golfmedik
In GA, 20+ over and you get a "Super Speeder" fine which for my buddy that got one last month headed to our conference, the fine is $587 and double the points on your license.
30+ MPH and you get some new jewelry.

Handcuffs.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:01 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
Good of you to stop by Monty!

Old 10-26-2017, 05:47 PM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 240 Posts
Yeah the commiewealth of VA is draconian in their traffic code and in the enforcement. I only recently moved to Texas from VA and in VA you constantly felt like you were being hunted.

Texas has been a welcome respite.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:18 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thought this was interesting, somewhere in New York State.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:06 AM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Thought this was interesting, somewhere in New York State.

Must have been close to NYC-Bronx-Yonkers area. With all the narrow roads and densely populated housing, it is difficult to send out the regular buses.

Quick Reply: The Official Happy Hour Thread - Pull Up A Chair, Sit A Spell, What's The Latest?