Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official Happy Hour Thread - Pull Up A Chair, Sit A Spell, What's The Latest?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 10:26 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
.... "concrete galoshes."

Stewart
Originally Posted by mecdac

Stewart

Old 07-13-2017, 12:46 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Happy hour Baja estilo !
What the heck is that? And do you have more pics?

What are its capabilities?

Stewart

Old 07-13-2017, 05:18 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Kinda looks like it's based off a Unimog, which means it's capabilities are incredible for a vehicle of its size

Old 07-14-2017, 08:32 AM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Third hobby besides the X and the camper....the boat. Volvo put a fuel pump on that was painted inside for a period of time. It's a combination lift and high pressure pump. The lift pump fills the bowl, the high pressure supplies the injectors. They have little screens in the ends of the pumps that get tiny paint chips lodged in there. Downside is they aren't serviceable (or so the mechanic told me). You get to buy the whole thing to the tune of ~$1200 when they "go bad". I decided to take it apart and clean it. This is the second round in 3 years and may have to be a seasonal thing. At least it's easy to get to and take off the motor.

Attached Images   
Old 07-14-2017, 09:09 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
All you need is a hammer to remove and take it apart? Nice work!

Old 07-14-2017, 09:55 AM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
All you need is a hammer to remove and take it apart? Nice work!
yep! well...that and 3 screws. I've never seen an unserviceable part so serviceable

Old 07-14-2017, 10:05 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by EXSwap
I've never seen an unserviceable part so serviceable
Well, if you have a 4x4 Ex, that's about to change when you grease the non-serviceable hubs by greasing them through the ABS hole!

Although I do have a question regarding the inside of that fuel pump. Why don't you remove all the paint so the chips are no longer a problem?

Stewart

Old 07-14-2017, 10:27 AM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I am spending the day with 3 guitar amps. All dual 6V6 tube amps with 2 or 3 tube preamps. One has a 15" Emeinence Legend speaker in a combo configuration, and the other 2 are heads going through a 12 inch Eminence Tonkerlite. What I am doing today is deciding on which amp to keep. I am swapping brands of tubes to see what sounds best in each amp and then decide which amp will work best for me. It is possible that I may keep the 15 combo ans one of the 2 heads.
Here are the contestants
Fender Excelsior w/pro speaker
Ibanez TS-15H
Egnater Tweaker 15

Yesterday morning I had some fun. I have this old Sencore Mighty MiteII tube tester, so I ran all my tubes(spares too) thru and had a blast. When I was a teenager, I had a tube tester and fixed tractor radios for farmers. It mostly consisted of replacing tubes and blowing all the dirt out and cleaning the pots. Frequently, they would come in with the wrong tubes as farmers figured if it fit the socket it must be the right tube! So they would grab tubes out of old clock radios and try to fix it themselves. I had a blast those few summers.
so how's that for "what is the latest"?

Old 07-14-2017, 10:30 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
Third hobby besides the X and the camper....the boat. Volvo put a fuel pump on that was painted inside for a period of time. It's a combination lift and high pressure pump. The lift pump fills the bowl, the high pressure supplies the injectors. They have little screens in the ends of the pumps that get tiny paint chips lodged in there. Downside is they aren't serviceable (or so the mechanic told me). You get to buy the whole thing to the tune of ~$1200 when they "go bad". I decided to take it apart and clean it. This is the second round in 3 years and may have to be a seasonal thing. At least it's easy to get to and take off the motor.

Injectors? Heck mine has the electric pump and a Holley double pumper.

What engine do you have? My 4.3L Volvo Penta actually had a prior life as a truck engine from a 2007-2014 Silverado or van.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:33 AM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Well, if you have a 4x4 Ex, that's about to change when you grease the non-serviceable hubs by greasing them through the ABS hole!

Although I do have a question regarding the inside of that fuel pump. Why don't you remove all the paint so the chips are no longer a problem?

Stewart
I've just not come across a good way to do it. The inside of the barrel where the float is probably wouldn't too much of a problem, but not sure how I'd get to all the little passages and such. I wouldn't want to not get it all and have a bunch break loose in the middle of a run and have to do the clean out on the water. I'm totally up for suggestions of things to try though! Hot tank it maybe?

Old 07-14-2017, 10:37 AM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
Injectors? Heck mine has the electric pump and a Holley double pumper.

What engine do you have? My 4.3L Volvo Penta actually had a prior life as a truck engine from a 2007-2014 Silverado or van.
Mine's a 4.3L Volvo as well (GXi-D)...it's for sure a good little motor that Chevy Vortec. Some days I wish I had a carb. I've spent the last two nights chasing electrical "issues" that hopefully will turn out to be a bad ground. TPS low voltage and Coolant temp sensor low temperature = engine alarm and limp mode

Old 07-14-2017, 10:48 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
I've just not come across a good way to do it. The inside of the barrel where the float is probably wouldn't too much of a problem, but not sure how I'd get to all the little passages and such.
I hate to assume, but I kind of figured that was the case.

I'm totally up for suggestions of things to try though! Hot tank it maybe?
Not being familiar with the pump, I assume (here we go, LOL) there are seals and O-rings that wouldn't allow something caustic to be used to soak the interior of the pump with, to remove the paint, yes?

Stewart

Old 07-14-2017, 11:07 AM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
I hate to assume, but I kind of figured that was the case.

Not being familiar with the pump, I assume (here we go, LOL) there are seals and O-rings that wouldn't allow something caustic to be used to soak the interior of the pump with, to remove the paint, yes?

Stewart
I believe that all the o-rings can be removed and all the parts taken apart (there are some brass fittings, and SS float, etc.). The material seems to be cast aluminium and I'm not sure what corrosion, if any, would occur with the gas stored in there all the time.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:22 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
Mine's a 4.3L Volvo as well (GXi-D)...it's for sure a good little motor that Chevy Vortec. Some days I wish I had a carb. I've spent the last two nights chasing electrical "issues" that hopefully will turn out to be a bad ground. TPS low voltage and Coolant temp sensor low temperature = engine alarm and limp mode

Without Fuel Injection the 4.3L is easy to work on. I agree, it is a tough engine. When I bought mine the PO used RTV on the riser gaskets and carb gasket resulting in one blown head gasket and one bent valve plus milkshake oil. I fixed that, overhauled the carb, and many other things it ran great but had an oil leak. I had to drop the oil pan, replace the gasket, timing cover gasket, front seal and add a balancer sleeve. The drain plug has a small drip still but that can wait till my next end of season oil change. I now run with 40-60 oil PSI, 160 degrees and 14 volts from the charging system. All is good! Labor of love.

Fortunately the engine parts can be bought at Advance and Amazon has the marine parts (starter, gaskets etc.)

Old 07-14-2017, 12:42 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Picked this up a few weeks ago. Now got to learn all the things associated with the 6.0. This is going to be fun.

Name:  0623172006.jpg
Views: 4050
Size:  1.42 MB

Name:  0623172007a.jpg
Views: 4152
Size:  1.89 MB

Quick Reply: The Official Happy Hour Thread - Pull Up A Chair, Sit A Spell, What's The Latest?