EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

A little help for driving a lot of miles - engine-maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 03:48 PM
jeg6214
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little help for driving a lot of miles - engine-maintenance.

All,

I drive my Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost truck for work. I am currently going on a trip from PA to Myrtle Beach, SC for the week. Driving the truck has treated me really well.

Few questions for this topic. I purchased the truck in November 2015 and it has right now 70,500 miles on it. I would say at least 60,000 of those miles are highway at least 55+ mph. I only replaced the front brakes once. The back brakes are still good and the second set of front brakes are good for now. Put new tires on at 67,000.

For driving a vehicle a lot of miles in a short time, what types of PM should I do for it, for this trip.

Do you think I would need the timing belt replaced?
Anything else I should replace quicker than normal? Never had a vehicle in which I drove this many miles in a short amount of time.

Thank you.

Last edited by jeg6214; 07-09-2017 at 03:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-10-2017, 12:30 PM
Beechkid
Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by jeg6214
Do you think I would need the timing belt replaced?
Thank you.
Hi Jeg!

Ford doesn't use timing belts.....they use timing chains.....and are much more durable than belts....only replaced when the guides or hydraulic tensioners fail...which causes engine noises....ticking type sound.

The type of driving you do is really the easiest & best for any vehicle....you should get many many years of good service. In regards to maintenance, although ford does have a maintenance schedule that I am sure you have looked at in your owners manual, this is what I have done on all my vehicles for 30+ years....

Engine Management System
• 100,000 Miles Oxygen Sensor Replace

Electronic Fuel Injection System
• Annual Throttle Body & Assembly Inspect, Clean & Lubricate as Necessary

• 6 Months Fuel Injectors Add Redline or BG Brand Fuel Injector Cleaner to Fuel Tank

• 30,000 Miles Fuel Filter Replace

Cooling System
• Annual Anode/Cathodic Protection Inspect
• 5 Years Radiator Drain & Flush System
• 5 Years Hoses Replace

Power Steering
• 5 Years Hoses Inspect & Replace as Necessary
• 30,000 Miles Fluid Drain & Refill

Belts
• 5 Years Serpentine Replace

Transmission
• 30,000 Miles Automatic Transmission Fluid Drain & Refill
• 30,000 Miles Automatic Transmission Filter Replace as Necessary

Note: we deal with a lot of heavy traffic in SoCal & hot temps in the summer......which is why I change it with such frequency, running the freeways as you do, IMHO, I would just do this on an annual frequency.

• Annual Drums, Rotors & Linings Surface Sand, Degrease, Inspect & Replace as
Necessary

• 3 Years Fluid- Conventional Type Bleed System

Wheels/Tires
• 6 Months Tires Rotate, Inspect & Adjust Pressure

IMHO, the biggest impactor to the Ford engines as far as the drivetrain goes are the extended engine oil drain frequencies....Additionally, issues that are typical of turbo’d gas engines are a continued “Dominent”, and when combined with the higher boost, extended oil changes and smaller (lower capacity) filters, this is not what I would call “A Good Thing”. A few comments from Ford Master Techs……

Black oil from Ecoboost motor - FORD - FlatRateTech

“You are supposed to go 5K-7.5K on an LOF. That way, Ford can sell you either another vehicle, or an engine, after 100K pops up on the clock. Providing it makes it that far. But in honesty, I think the main problems now are the size of the oil filters today.”

“You could try and get into the habit of letting your vehicle idle for a minute or” 2 prior to shutting it off every time you park it.”

“Turbo engines beat the **** out of oil like motorcycles.”

“Knowing the Ford engines and my experience with Mazda, I wouldn't push the oil change interval past 4k miles regardless of synthetic or not. Especially if you beat on the car.”

“Car manufacturers use the customers as lab rats for testing. I'd be concerned that the oil is taking a beating due to the DI, heat from the turbocharger working overtime, and so on. The turbo won't be the only thing taking a beating either.”

Primary (engine) oil filters cannot filter (for design reasons) below 10 ppm, like industrial power plant filter do (about 5ppm), because it would restrict the flow to the engine causing possible oil starvation....most are around 20 ppm.....and most every of the oil filter mfgs conceed, that after about 90 days of use, the bypass valve in the filter opens to some degree. While the stored/caught particulates do not escape, the oil is allowed to flow straight through to prevent starvation.....this IMHO is another parallel to the hydraulic timing chain actuators failing at around 100k miles as compared to their design specs which say they should be good for 150K+ miles. Those who have experienced these specific failures, the majority report they are on extended oil drain frequencies- most of the Ford Master Techs i have spoken directly too regarding this, agree their gut instinct says there is a relationship between the two.

Specific to the turbo'd engines, spark plugs......although they are spec'd for 100k ....I wouldn't for a variety of reasons.......although the highway miles are absolutely the best use with this truck, a single mis-fire on a turbo'd engine can cause real substantial damage (burned piston, piston rod through the side of the block, etc.)......IMHO, I would swap out the plugs about every 50K miles.