Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

hello everyone

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 04:30 PM
rock strongo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello everyone

Just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. My names Matt Deacon and I live in Knoxville. I graduated from UT last year (go vols!!). Anyway, I have this weird affliction where old VWs follow me home and die slow horrible deaths in my arms/driveway. I decided to get real and hock a couple vw's to get a modern vehicle. I needed a vehicle I can tow a non-operable vw around with, and something I could rely on. I trusted my dad and ended up with a 95 f150 with a 300ci six. I drove my dads 91 straight six in high school some, and know a little about these trucks, but I'm really looking forward to trading in some of my VW knowledge for Ford truck knowledge.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say hi.... "HI".

p.s. I'm looking to swap a tach cluster into my truck, anyone know of a good JY around that might have one?

Later,

Matt

Old 09-05-2003, 08:17 PM
retired2001
Elder User
hello everyone

Hey Matt, welcome to FTE from Canyon Lake, Texas! VW's are hard to get out of your system. Good luck with the '95 and have fun!

Old 09-05-2003, 08:43 PM
theologian
Postmaster
hello everyone

Welcome to the Tennessee chapter house, Matt.

Theo

Old 09-07-2003, 03:52 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hello everyone

Hey Rocky! Welcome to the zoo, man!

Me personally - I kinda lean towards the HOT RODDER perspective when it comes to adding guages. I like the original panel to be as simple and clean looking as I can get it, but show me to the guage department of the local parts store and look out!

I love adding goodies to my trucks, and if I can do it in a way that saves me having to dismount a ton of stuff to do it that is exactly how I go about it...

Therefore, I'd rather get a single nice clean tach guage and mount it somewhere else that is convenient and easy to visually locate than up in behind the wheel. Stock consoles can be a bit cluttered, unless of course you like the original look and want to fill in the great big area that may have been left blank if the original owner didn't want to have a tach installed.

If that's the case, you can use tape and a marker to mark any stray wires as they come off. Also work slowly - pulling dash assemblies down should be done with great care, since there is a lot of brittle plastic involved. Be super careful of the screws when you reinstall things - NEVER overtighten them, because it's better to have them a bit loose than to break the tabs the screws go through.

ACCOUNT FOR ALL OF YOUR FASTENERS! As they come out, have a ziplock bag ready to put them in. This will keep them all together, and once again - a small permanent marker can be used to mark what each bag of fasteners and whatall are for (IE: 'Dash cover", "Center Console", "Glove Box", 'Heater Controls", etc...).

While you are in there, it's a great time to replace all of the instrument panel lights too - they're usually pretty cheap, and if you do them all now, you won't have to go in later one at a time.

While the panel is apart - look over the ducting for your A/C and heater blower. Don't be suprised if you see gaps between sections! Filling those gaps in, even if you have to use duct tape (which is after all what duct tape is for) can radically improve the performance of your 'critter comfort' cooling and heating system.

All depends on how much you have to (or want to) take apart. Most of the under dash can be accessed by just removing the top piece from the dash - the part with the upholstery on it between the window and top of the panel.

And obviously - never force anything. Again, most of that stuff is made from plastic, and can break real easy.

Take your time, and do it up smooth buddy!

~Wolf