Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 12:07 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Charmalu
LMC has the Cowel seals.
Truck Parts and Truck Accessories
LMC's quality on parts of this kind is generally questionable. Was it Gary? who suggested using garage door bottom seal as a cowl seal replacement? I just did that on my '85, haven't even done the RTV bead yet, and it's already sealing WAAAY better than the crumbling piece that it replaced. Something like $15, for enough to do at least three trucks.

Originally Posted by Charmalu
At PNP you can buy cables for about $5 bucks. There is a model of BMW that has the battery in the trunk. The Poss. cable runs along the rocker panel inside the car to the firewall. Its` about 12ft long.
What gauge is that BMW cable?

Old 07-10-2017, 12:30 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,477 Likes on 962 Posts
Awesome tech guys, i may try the garage door seal out soo.

Did injectors this weekend, appears it still had the original BB injectors in it from the looks of it and from talking to the PO, who had only done an injector pump not long before i bought it.

Truck only has 97k miles but lots of low speed idling in a farm operation in north Georgia.

I reluctantly went with the cheap Rock auto ULTRA-POWER MFI258 injectors for $187.11 shipped overnight.

Runs a good bit better, less smoke once warmed up, noticeably more torque in part throttle acceleration, dropped about 50-100* WOT EGT pulling hills at 70-75. Idle is noticeably smoother as well. Did a return kit while i was in there

I would say the toughest part of the install was cleaning the bores of rust/soot/gunk to a level of my satisfaction.

Attached Images  
Old 07-10-2017, 12:33 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
anyone know how to reduce image size on the forum, or do i have to go back and re-size my pictures?

Old 07-10-2017, 12:42 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Resize, edit, lighten, darken, tweak, whatever, THEN upload.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:22 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
done, maybe yall's eyes wont hurt now

video of the new smooth idle, she has never idled this smooth before

timing it bumped about dime width pass. side. I think i need to rent a meter

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_7363.MOV (3.66 MB, 56 views)
Old 07-10-2017, 03:45 PM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Hood to Cowl Seal
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
thanks for the tip! Holy crap that could have ended up much worse!
The worst case is water collecting on top of the air cleaner cover and then draining through the cover bolt hole directly down the intake and into cylinders which can very easily result in hydro-lock. If the piston is in the intake or compression stroke of the cycle with water in the cylinder and you try to start it, the water in the cylinder won't compress and as the piston moves to the top of the stroke the water (as if it was a solid block of wood or concrete) stops the piston from reaching the top resulting in a bent piston rod or broken rod and piston, possibly in more than one cylinder.

This has been discussed in past topics here going way back and just recently (past 4-6 months) one of the members mentioned in an unrelated topic when this happened to him. (Jayro88?) He was very unhappy about it.

Also it's a very good idea to
make sure you have a good seal washer under the bolt head or wing nut that holds the air cleaner cover on. That may be the only thing that saved your truck (and others) from a hydro-lock catastrophe.

Something to add: your headlight lenses are very fogged. The only fix that really works long term: These plastic lenses need to be sanded down to remove the deteriorated surface layer(s) which might include an original clear coat (that doesn't matter. Wet sanding using 2 or 3 grits getting to at least as fine as 800 for the final sanding. You'll hardly be able to see through them when finished sanding. THEN mask them off and spray a couple of coatings of clear coat which must be also for use on plastics! INSTANTLY CRYSTAL CLEAR!!

NOTE: For clear coat I used
Rust Oleum 280702 American Accents Ultra Cover 2X Spray Paint, Gloss Clear, 12-Ounce

"Also bonds to plastics"<- in a yellow band on the label. I found it at Walmart.
Looks like this:

Amazon Amazon

*CAUTION WARNING (from me): "2X ULTRA COVER" means that twice the volume of paint comes out of that spray nozzle! YOU MUST move the spray pattern across the surface you are painting at least twice the speed of a normal spray pattern from a regular spray paint can or you WILL get runs! USE LIGHT COATS <---- You will be very tempted to paint heavier to see the crystal clear result BUT DON'T. Follow the directions on the can for wait time between coats and by the second or third coat you will have crystal clear lenses with no runs!

Old 07-10-2017, 04:48 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
thanks for the tips! I am aware of the hydro lock issue and luckily my seal is good, i plan to do something very soon with the cowl seal. I hate to waste any time on my headlights,it wont be long before i smash one into a rock or tree and have to find a replacement

Old 07-11-2017, 03:15 AM
Charmalu
Fleet Mechanic

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
LMC's quality on parts of this kind is generally questionable. Was it Gary? who suggested using garage door bottom seal as a cowl seal replacement? I just did that on my '85, haven't even done the RTV bead yet, and it's already sealing WAAAY better than the crumbling piece that it replaced. Something like $15, for enough to do at least three trucks.

What gauge is that BMW cable?

I don`t know the size, but as big as Ford put in my 86 F-250. I know it isn`t any smaller.

Iwas doing a Google search trying to find the size of the cable, and ran across a thread I did on a Mercedes forum Iam on back in 09. There is 3 pictures posted and one showing the cable laid along side my MB.
Forgot I even posted this. One guy thinks it`s a 1/0 gauge.

BMW Battery Cable for Battery relocation - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

There is some on E-bay, but in the $70 - $100 range. A little time and what ever they charge now ain`t too bad for about 20 lbs of copper.

Charlie

Old 01-19-2018, 08:08 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
I must say i am still very happy with these. Turns her over ice cold in 10* weather like the glow plugs are out

Old 01-19-2018, 09:29 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If everything is right you really do not need them but how often is everything right on these old trucks ? Mine has a few bad glow plugs and the 31's get it going with no problem in cold weather.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:19 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
the selling point for me on them was mostly the cost, cheaper than the smaller batts that are supposed to go in it, $120ish each, These group 31's I payed right at $85 a piece for them. only two months old

Old 01-19-2018, 02:40 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
sounds like a heck of a deal to me, and way cheaper then them gel ones everyones goinng to paying 250$ a battery

Old 01-19-2018, 07:31 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
I can get stock size Group 65s, 875 CCA, made by East Penn / Deka, 84-month pro-rated warranty, 36-month FREE replacement, for aprx. $100 any day of the week at Farm & Fleet. I haven't seen a group 31 with more than a 24- or 36-month pro-rated warranty. Wouldn't be worth saving only $15 apiece.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:49 PM
DrCharles
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
It'll be worth the $30 if your 65's die just before your engine catches on a cold WI morning

Old 01-19-2018, 09:38 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes do the cowl seal. A bad on cost me a 7.3 engine. Ran on to the air cleaner down the bolt and hydro locked a cylinder.

Quick Reply: Group 31 batt's and cables