6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Tuning the 2017 6.2

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 05:10 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by wyo2track
I find those gains in the new 2017 impressive over the 11-16 SD trucks.
65 lb-ft in torque and 40 hp better. Looks like the new Torqshift-G transmission is WAY (~15%) more efficient than the previous 6R140 in the 6.2. To not change the 385 HP rating and to pick up 40 HP and ~35 torque just thru the transmission....impressive.
I'm not arguing the fact that the new transmission is lighter and more efficient, but I'm sure new cams and larger valves had something to do with that. My guess is, this is the last redesign of the 6.2 before the 7.0 comes out. So ford left a little in the bag for a future date, so they could bump that factory HP up a little in their advertising without spending a dime on the motor.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:27 AM
shaneinga
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron94150
I'm not arguing the fact that the new transmission is lighter and more efficient, but I'm sure new cams and larger valves had something to do with that. My guess is, this is the last redesign of the 6.2 before the 7.0 comes out. So ford left a little in the bag for a future date, so they could bump that factory HP up a little in their advertising without spending a dime on the motor.
Agree, and a great point.

It looks like on 5star's webpage they are releasing tunes on 8/1 of this year.

Anyone have the N Gauge tuner thing 5Star sells? Looks to be something you keep in the truck and mounts on the windshield.

5Star if you are still following this page, when do you think you are going to do an f350? As you know, the 350 and 250 do not share the same transmission.

Is this a case of needing a 350 to come in the shop to do some tuning on before you can get a baseline?

Thank you for any information you can share.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:25 PM
wyo2track
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron94150
Agreed....the internal changes helped move that torque curve lower into the rpm band and added ~30 lb-ft of torque. But.....the advertised HP output did not change for the 2017 6.2 from the previous SD's and 5 Star is showing an additional 40 HP at the wheels. I'm no mechanic and don't know how to argue how Ford got more power to the wheels. I just have to think that the drivetrain is much more efficient with the new TorqShift-G tranny or Ford is sandbagging the rated HP a little on the 2017 or maybe a little of both... It's all good stuff.

The 7.0 huh.... I may be in the market for a new truck by the time its released...

Old 09-01-2017, 03:01 PM
shaneinga
Elder User
Ordered mine today. I will let you know if it was worth the money.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:56 PM
Omega Man
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shaneinga
Ordered mine today. I will let you know if it was worth the money.
Looking forward to your review!

Old 09-08-2017, 10:29 AM
shaneinga
Elder User
Waiting on 5star to send back my tunes. I will let you know. It will probably be Monday before I get it tuned, unless they get it back to me by the end of the day today.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:57 PM
shaneinga
Elder User
Well I got my tunes emailed to me. The adapter they sent for the mini sd card is having issues, so I am not able to download my tunes to my device. It will download fine to a standard SD card, but I can not get them to go onto the mini card via the adapter.

I am having my company IT guy help me with it. Not that it is needed, but when I could not get it to work I enlisted him. Now he is mad and is wanting to see it done as bad as I am. He is bringing his adapter on Monday and hopefully we will have this bad boy tuned then.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:30 AM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
What tunes did you go with? Which one are you going to run first? Hope you can make it work today.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:31 AM
Omega Man
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nothing is ever easy

Old 09-11-2017, 07:03 PM
shaneinga
Elder User
Hurricane had my shop shut down here in Ga. IT guy doesn't work Tuesdays, so Wednesday it is. ****. Taking a lot longer than I was hoping for. I might stop and get a SD card adaptor tomorrow and do it myself. Idk, work is going to be nuts tomorrow with us a day behind. Wednesday might just have to be as quick as I can get it done.

I will update when I can. Sorry fellas, I thought this was going to be easy. My last truck tuned easy.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:04 AM
shaneinga
Elder User
Ok, I got it tuned. Turned out it was a bad SD card, not the adapter to the SD Card. New card and it was good to go.

I ordered 6 tunes from them.
87 performance
93 performance
87 tow
93 tow
87 economy
93 economy

I run 93 octane in my truck, so I jumped right to the 93 octane performance tune.

Quick review:

It is raining down here in Ga, so the wet roads will keep me tame today. However, the initial take off definitely did put a smile on my face. It is definitely faster than it was. Gear shifts are greatly improved and it is faster. No dyno proof, but 5star has that.

Leaving work as I turn right to head home I have an uphill section that is under a 1/4 of a mile. In the rain I hit 60MPH going up hill without getting to crazy with it. I can't recall the last time I have ever done that in an Superduty truck I have owned. So that was a first, in the rain at that.

Is it worth the investment? As of now, yes. I am happy with the purchase and I know I have definitely paid more for less for other truck purchases.

I leave out of here on Saturday to head to the beach. I might hook up the econo tune and head south on the high way to see how many MPGs I can squeak out of it.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:45 PM
devongarver
Tuned
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
Excellent!

Ok, I got it tuned. Turned out it was a bad SD card, not the adapter to the SD Card. New card and it was good to go.

I ordered 6 tunes from them.
87 performance
93 performance
87 tow
93 tow
87 economy
93 economy

I run 93 octane in my truck, so I jumped right to the 93 octane performance tune.

Quick review:

It is raining down here in Ga, so the wet roads will keep me tame today. However, the initial take off definitely did put a smile on my face. It is definitely faster than it was. Gear shifts are greatly improved and it is faster. No dyno proof, but 5star has that.

Leaving work as I turn right to head home I have an uphill section that is under a 1/4 of a mile. In the rain I hit 60MPH going up hill without getting to crazy with it. I can't recall the last time I have ever done that in an Superduty truck I have owned. So that was a first, in the rain at that.

Is it worth the investment? As of now, yes. I am happy with the purchase and I know I have definitely paid more for less for other truck purchases.

I leave out of here on Saturday to head to the beach. I might hook up the econo tune and head south on the high way to see how many MPGs I can squeak out of it.
This is great to hear. And after seeing those dyno sheets...good lord. I have been planning on keeping my truck another year or two but this makes it hard to wait haha! Glad to see 5-Star is still kicking butt, I have been running his tunes in a few trucks since 2011. No issues at all, can do nothing but recommend his work.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:35 PM
shaneinga
Elder User
Here is a quick little 0-60 while hopping on the Hwy.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:54 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

That's quick. Do us all a favor. Put the stock tune back in, go to the exact same spot and film a stock run so we can see a good comparison.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:15 PM
Randy_270
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDBerKPIqZ0
Not bad, what are the specs on your truck??

Quick Reply: Tuning the 2017 6.2