1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Wheels and Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 03:05 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All the technical stuff aside, if this is not a daily driver and you are not parallel parking it every time you take it out, buy what YOU think will look the best and make you happy and can somewhat afford. Unless you are always going long distance it won't matter. You will most likely be so happy just driving it the tires will not make one damn bit of difference. Enjoy the truck, enjoy the satisfaction you get from redoing the truck but most of all have fun.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:56 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I have driven a lot of old Fords with both bias and radial tires. My observations are that everybody, and all the conflicting information above, is correct.

Cheap tires handle badly, whether bias or radial. The worst in my experience were lower price 6.00-16 wide white bias tires. These followed every groove and bump in the road. Cheap radials with wide tread is hard to turn at very low speeds.

6.50-16 bias ply seem to handle better on trucks, probably due to less tire flex. This slightly larger size is appropriate considering the heavy duty use your truck was ordered for.

I agree with Ross, 215/85R16 tires are a good choice, particularly if you make sure the all black side is mounted facing out. We swapped a set of wide white bias plys for this size radials on my brother's F-1 a while back. His truck drove a lot nicer after the tire swap. Here is what his truck looked like for reference:

Old 07-07-2017, 09:25 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 867 Likes on 423 Posts
As you know if you've been following this thread, there are strong opinions on both sides of the radial vs bias tire issue. In coming to a decision, I was bound to disappoint some of you.

I went to the Iola Car Show today. A Coker Tire vender was there, and after visiting with the rep and looking at the various options, I came away with Bias built tires. The radial tires with the classic tire look were more expensive by quite a bit, and to my eye, ended up looking less like my original surviving spare tire than the bias tires did. The rep assured me that at the speeds my truck would be going, I would not be disappointed with the performance of the bias tires I ended up purchasing.

My spare tire is OLD. I think it is probably representative of how the original tires on my truck looked. Here is a picture:

This is how my new tires look:

I was half thinking of going with a rugged military jeep type tire. What I ended up with has a classic period correct look, but still comes across with some of the aggressiveness I was looking for. It seemed like a good compromise. The salesman (of course) was convinced that I would be pleased with the ride and handling. The price was right. The look was right. I went for it.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your opinion. I'm sorry for having disappointed some of you. After I ride to Kentucky and back, I'll let you all know what I think of my new tires. LOL.

Jim

P.S. The guy I was with, my mechanic friend, has an old Mustang and also a Cougar. He has run both radial and bias built tires on his classic cars, and he greatly prefers the ride and handling characteristics of the bias tires. His experience was a factor in my decision.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:31 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I see you went with 6.50-16s. I think you will be happy with how they drive and they will look good on your panel.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:50 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
I hope so Fred. I wasn't necessarily thinking I'd be buying tires at Iola, but the opportunity presented itself, and I went for it. The sales rep worked with me some on the price, and I saved shipping costs. The tires I bought seem to have good on-line reviews. I'm anxious to get them mounted and see how they ride and handle.

Jim

Old 07-08-2017, 09:37 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,455 Posts
Originally Posted by 38 coupe
I see you went with 6.50-16s. I think you will be happy with how they drive and they will look good on your panel.
I bought 6.00 x 16 for my 54. Which I had bought 6.50, however.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:56 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
The tires that were originally on the truck when I got it were 6.50x16, so that's the size I went with. Compared to my spare (the only original tire I still have) it looks like my new tires will have a slightly bigger diameter at 29.90 inches.

Jim

Old 07-08-2017, 10:27 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,455 Posts
That's good, it will help give you better rpms.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:08 AM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 970 Likes on 864 Posts
Just, keep in mind, Jim, like the original tires, those Coker's have no where for the water to go, once in the tread. In water, they will hydroplane very quickly and easily. I'm sure you don't plan to do a lot of wet driving, but, should it happen...
To the hub cap issue, leave them as is. Many of the vehicles, used by the military today, have standard chrome or stainless hub caps. I know that wasn't the case in the early 50's, but, only a purist is going to know or care about it. And, for me, they take away just a bit of the, "bland" of an otherwise good looking ride.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:00 AM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Thanks for weighing in, Denny. You're right about driving in the rain. Right now, the truck doesn't even have wipers. The caution yellow and black bumpers and door insignia may help to add interest to the "bland" grey color as well. I'm getting more used to the shiny wheels.

My wife, when I was proudly showing her the new paint job, said the truck didn't look any different to her. She described it as still looking like a giant grey marshmallow. She's too polite to have used a more vulgar expression, but maybe she was thinking it. Most vehicles that are new look good to her--old ones not so much--old grey panel trucks even less so.

Jim

Old 07-09-2017, 09:07 AM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 970 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel
Thanks for weighing in, Denny. You're right about driving in the rain. Right now, the truck doesn't even have wipers. The caution yellow and black bumpers and door insignia may help to add interest to the "bland" grey color as well. I'm getting more used to the shiny wheels.

My wife, when I was proudly showing her the new paint job, said the truck didn't look any different to her. She described it as still looking like a giant grey marshmallow. She's too polite to have used a more vulgar expression, but maybe she was thinking it. Most vehicles that are new look good to her--old ones not so much--old grey panel trucks even less so.

Jim

Maybe I should have added a caveat to my comment. I did not mean to say your truck is bland, as an insult. I was speaking of the look you are intentionally seeking. That said, I've seen a few "OD Green" trucks and Jeeps, with all the markings, at some shows. They do draw a lot of attention.
And again, my vote is to leave the wheels as they are. I think they will make a great addition.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:19 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel
As you know if you've been following this thread, there are strong opinions on both sides of the radial vs bias tire issue. In coming to a decision, I was bound to disappoint some of you.

I went to the Iola Car Show today. A Coker Tire vender was there, and after visiting with the rep and looking at the various options, I came away with Bias built tires. The radial tires with the classic tire look were more expensive by quite a bit, and to my eye, ended up looking less like my original surviving spare tire than the bias tires did. The rep assured me that at the speeds my truck would be going, I would not be disappointed with the performance of the bias tires I ended up purchasing.

My spare tire is OLD. I think it is probably representative of how the original tires on my truck looked. Here is a picture:

This is how my new tires look:

I was half thinking of going with a rugged military jeep type tire. What I ended up with has a classic period correct look, but still comes across with some of the aggressiveness I was looking for. It seemed like a good compromise. The salesman (of course) was convinced that iI would be pleased with the ride and handling. The price was right. The look was right. I went for it.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your opinion. I'm sorry for having disappointed some of you. After I ride to Kentucky and back, I'll let you all know what I think of my new tires. LOL.

Jim

P.S. The guy I was with, my mechanic friend, has an old Mustang and also a Cougar. He has run both radial and bias built tires on his classic cars, and he greatly prefers the ride and handling characteristics of the bias tires. His experience was a factor in my decision.

Nice choice on tires I have not heard anything negative about the Tornel's
be sure to post a pic and give us an update on how they drive/ride when you get them mounted.
I'm sure many of us would like to know how you like them.

Be sure monitor tire wear and adjust tire pressure accordingly if you can find the factory recommended pressure for your truck use that as a starting point and adjust from there according to tire wear. And don't forget the 5000 Mile tire rotation that bias ply's need and unlike radials they should be cross rotated.

See below for Bias Ply rotation with and with out the spare included.

Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2017, 05:47 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Thanks Matt for the heads up on tire rotation and inflation. Young guys in tire shops these days probably have no idea. I was in Canada last week fishing. Now that I'm back, hopefully I'll be able to get the new tires mounted tomorrow. Fishing was terrible BTW. The guys I was with were veterans, and said they had never experienced a week of fishing like we had.

Jim

P.S. I bribed my wife with ice cream and finally got her to go for a little ride in my truck. She hated it. No seat belts...lots of strange noises...a bouncy seat that wasn't adjustable...an inability to keep up with traffic on the highway...there was a lot for her to find fault with. A 15 hour trip to Kentucky does not appear likely for her. Going out for ice cream again may be a hard sell.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:56 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jim tell her you want to go to TS to get ideas of how to fix the things she doesn't like. You need her expert advice and judgement on which ideas would work best.
Good luck, have fun. You may just be sleeping in that truck

Old 07-16-2017, 06:17 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Thanks Dave for the marital advice. Just because you're old and and been married forever, doesn't mean you really know the first thing about the motivations and inclinations of the fairer sex. A little help from our friends is always appreciated. LOL. I really could sleep in my truck, but I'd rather not; all things considered.

Jim

Quick Reply: Wheels and Tires