Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

3.5 Ecoboost gen 1 versus Gen 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 12:36 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 92F350CC
He's a teenager troll. Stop feeding him.

He claimed to have inside knowledge that the Raptor would not be an ecoboost. He's just trolling
Teenage troll with a join date of 2004? Unless the account was compromised by said teen, I highly doubt it.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:50 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 215 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul
Teenage troll with a join date of 2004? Unless the account was compromised by said teen, I highly doubt it.
Curious that there were a bunch of posts in 2004, then a 12 year gap when the latest round of ecoboost bashing started in late 2016. No posts whatever in 2005 through 2015.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:56 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
and here is a forum devoted just to the ecoboost....issues are listed by subject and year...including 2017

F150 Ecoboost Problems

Old 06-26-2017, 01:20 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Yep, Sasquatch77, You also sound like Rex Reed! another basher that never had an Eco, just a mouth. They like you as much over there as we do here. I even went though and found where you sent a second link to a different thread. Only one person actually drilled a hole and nothing came out!! You are now on my ignore list.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:43 PM
93Cobra
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course nothing will come out when you are sitting there. Condensate is produced in the drive cycle and consumed in the drive cycle. The weep hole is designed to get that condensate out before it blows out spark.

It is complete fine that you have not come to terms with the reality of the 3.5 ecoboost. I get that you made a large investment and you hope it doesn't happen. But... it will. The point of this thread was to see if the issues were addressed. They were not, so expect the same failures. We are already seeing these failures, so I don't want the ecoboost cheerleaders leading anyone on by saying it is problem free.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:32 PM
JKBrad
Received 805 Likes on 590 Posts
93Cobra,

What year EcoBoost F150 did you own? Did you buy it new? Do you have links to the posts you made during your time of ownership that describe your problems and the steps you took to get them resolved?

As you may have gathered, if you spent any time browsing these forums, this 2015 and up one in particular, there are very few posts about 3.5 EB issues. Even after 3 years of production. Go to the previous generation section just below this and you will find more posts about problems, but not just EB problems. Those trucks are aging and many have over 100K miles, so there will be lots of posts from people trying to fix things. Engines, transmissions, suspensions, etc.

7 model years for the EcoBoost in F150s. It is now the top selling single engine in the line. It has the best trade in value. So maybe you had a bad one. It happens, with everything man made there will be a defect now and then.

You compared the 3.5 EB to the 6.0 PSD. Not even close. The amount of problems and complaints filled the forums, the 6.4 as well. 5.4 3Vs had all kinds of issues as well.

I know that everywhere you post you hope to get people to jump on board with you and start talking about all the problems they've had. You have had very few respond with issues and no one who will stand up with you and back you up.

So, share you personal experience so it can be a topic for discussion or simply go away. I'm asking you to show your hand, so to say.

Not trying to start a fight or even ask that you get banned, as you've not been nasty to anyone. But your arguments just carry any water.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:52 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by excaliber551
Thanks for the info. I'm looking at a 2018 F150 XLT Super Crew with a 6.5' bed with the 3.5 Ecoboost and 3.55 gears. When we last drove the 3.5 EB it was a couple years ago and man what a rocket ship.
I can't speak to the longevity of the EB motor, besides anecdotal evidence that my parents have had a couple of them with no issues.

For folks talking about MPG's of the Gen 2 and 10-speed.....similar to what you listed, I got a 2017 2 weeks ago. It is a Super Crew, 3.5EB,. 6.5' bed, 3.55's, and 4x4. While I only have 1000 miles on it, the lie-o-meter claims a 19.9 mpg average since I got it. Hand calculating from my very first fill up shows 18.75 mpg....but that was filling up from what the dealership put in there...it showed full when I got it, but I don't know "how full" it really was. With the 36 gallon fuel tank, I have not filled it again since then. Get the big gas tank, it's nice to have more flexibility on where you stop for gas.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:55 PM
93Cobra
Senior User
My experience was in the gen 1 ecoboost. I had a fleet of work trucks, then had my own as well as a SHO. The work trucks all developed the misfire, so I looked in to that. I realized the root cause was the intercooler condensate buildup and Ford had no idea how to fix. Nothing worked. My truck also began doing it, and I also noticed a drop in mpg. I drilled the weep hole in all of them and things were fine. Next came the cam phaser rattle. I had that fixed with new chains and phasers. The SHO was fine because of its transverse design. However, it began misfiring and I had to drill the weep hole in it too. All is fine now except for a finicky fuel pump control module. That was a recall, but the new part is already failing.
If you follow the web and talk to people, you will find them having these same problems all over again.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:04 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Oh... so that's why you dedicated your life to ecoboost bashing on every F150 forum that you haven't been banned from.
I've owned 3 and never had an issue with any of mine...dating back to early 2011.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:17 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ Smith
Yea, its a big deal.

The truck runs way better.
It makes a very pleasant growl when needed.
Feels way quicker.

I only have 2500 miles on the new one.
Lifetime mpg on my '13 was an even 19 mpg.
The new one is at 20.8 and still climbing.
I have been getting between 21.6 and 21.9 on mine so far.
From what I have seen, the city driving mileage is much better.
City mileage was terrible in my '13.
The "growl" you speak of is sound piped into the speakers.

Your 17 is 500 to 700 lbs lighter than your '13 was which makes a big difference on fuel economy- especially city driving. The biggest change in fuel economy was from the '14 to '15 model years when the aluminum body appeared. The '17 only gets about 1 mpg better than the '16 on the hwy. If your city driving is way better than your '13 then it due to the weight savings over the '13 as well as the auto start/stop.
Your '17 is also faster than your '13 because it's so much lighter. The extra 10 hp helps slightly as does the first gear's ratio.

I have had an '11, '13, '16 and now '17, all 3.5 ecoboosts. I don't care for the skip shifting or the auto start/stop and these are actually disabled on my truck by a tune.
My '17 gets about 1 mpg better all the way around than my '16 did. Both were CREW Lariat's with the 3.55. The '17 also gets slightly better fuel economy towing but don't have enough data yet for a good comparison. This is mainly due to the 10 speed

The main reason to get a '17 or '18 as far as I am concerned is the addition of port injection which will take care of the carbon build up that DI engines have.

None of the aluminum bodied F150's ride as smooth empty nor do they handle as well as the steel bodied trucks. They also aren't as stable towing either due to the lighter weight and softer suspension.

The perfect F150 to me would be my steel bodied '13 with the next gen ecoboost and 10 speed.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:51 PM
storage_man
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks

But the First thread there - Idle drops down when AC is on when coming to a stop. To bad the op there didn't state in his first post that he is using a tuner (he waited until Page 3). Good luck with that. All bets are off after using a tuner. More Like FAKE NEWS in my book.

But I will pursue the other Threads

Old 06-26-2017, 03:57 PM
JKBrad
Received 805 Likes on 590 Posts
I'm going to guess that quite a few Raptor owners who are on a forum are going to mod their trucks to some degree or another and drive them hard. A few will drive them to the point of destruction. Nothing wrong with that, just don't blame Ford when something breaks.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:26 PM
Mr. Mcbeevee
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 93Cobra
My experience was in the gen 1 ecoboost. I had a fleet of work trucks, then had my own as well as a SHO. The work trucks all developed the misfire, so I looked in to that. I realized the root cause was the intercooler condensate buildup and Ford had no idea how to fix. Nothing worked. My truck also began doing it, and I also noticed a drop in mpg. I drilled the weep hole in all of them and things were fine. Next came the cam phaser rattle. I had that fixed with new chains and phasers. The SHO was fine because of its transverse design. However, it began misfiring and I had to drill the weep hole in it too. All is fine now except for a finicky fuel pump control module. That was a recall, but the new part is already failing.
If you follow the web and talk to people, you will find them having these same problems all over again.
How many trucks in your fleet doing what kind of work?

Old 06-27-2017, 10:46 AM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Mcbeevee
How many trucks in your fleet doing what kind of work?
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say....zero trucks....doing no work.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:56 AM
93Cobra
Senior User
6 total in a construction/restoration business.

Quick Reply: 3.5 Ecoboost gen 1 versus Gen 2