Sponsored by:

Excursions are a "bargain"....

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 01:43 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by jh818
The drive by wire is scary because you do not have a direct control of the throttle.
I remember when I first got the Ex and I tried to find the throttle linkage....

There was a steep learning curve for this first diesel of mine. It was really eye opening.

Stewart

Old 06-28-2017, 02:40 PM
ShockwaveRider
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd have to say, even as an electrical engineer (36 years) all those electronic gizmos make me nervous. I enjoy the simplicity of older vehicles, even with their primitive throttle cables and rear view mirrors.

Like I've related before, I had one of the last steel F250 Super Dutys, brand new, all washed up all nice and pretty, red with cool yellow cab lights, all lined up for $33K. In my mind, that's dirt cheap for a brand new pickup truck. But you know what, I just didn't like it. I couldn't pull the trigger. Then I found the 2004 Excursion for $15K (which I realize is a lot more than many of you guys paid) and I just thought it was "the most truck for the buck", even with 125,000 miles on it!

Does it **** me off at times? Of course it does. But it sure drives nice and has a kick-*** sound system (the stock one) and it looks boss and it hauls my keester home for the weekend and back (400 miles round trip) at a carefully driven 14.1MPG.

I think this is "a keeper" and I've already been scouring for another one.

I only wish I had bought the 2004 brand-new back in 2004.

Shockwave

Old 06-28-2017, 10:25 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ShockwaveRider
I'd have to say, even as an electrical engineer (36 years) all those electronic gizmos make me nervous. I enjoy the simplicity of older vehicles, even with their primitive throttle cables and rear view mirrors.

Shockwave
As a retired Air Force Avionics guy and a current Electronic Technician, I agree with you. They make me nervous to a point. It doesn't make me nervous enough not to buy new vehicles though and I love all the gadgets in our Expedition. I remember fuel injection made everyone nervous years ago as well. My hope is that the aftermarket begins to include spares, or at least repair capability, for the various modules on these later cars. My C6 Corvette with its myriad of modules and networked components scares me more than any other vehicle in my fleet. The number of relays clicking away when you hit the start button is mind blowing and I always have in the back of my mind that today could be the day it doesn't start. I do however appreciate the simplicity of my 69 VW Bug. It might not start either but it is so pleasingly basic.