Sputtering turd

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 08:09 PM
Yepitsaford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sputtering turd

Alright bought a Expedition 3 months ago,ran great no issues.. has alil over 168,000 once it started getting warmer out noticed at stop signs it would sputter like running out of gas.. then had a cold streak and it stopped. Let my parents use it to haul a boat now have issues check engine light came on had it scanned was told it was a thermostat code could be thermostat going bad or the sensor wire.. never had heating issues.. ac worked when bought it but parents said it started blowing hot air at times before light came on.. took to a shop was told it wasn't the thermostat or wire that my whole AC unit took a crap $900 to fix it and that's why check engine light came on. Didn't have them fix AC said screw it don't need it. Now today it started sputtering and driving like I'm hauling 3 semis and a tank behind me just no power at all. Any ideas what the hell is going on with this turd would be greatly appreciated

Old 06-16-2017, 05:53 AM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Yepitsaford
Alright bought a Expedition 3 months ago,ran great no issues.. has alil over 168,000 once it started getting warmer out noticed at stop signs it would sputter like running out of gas.. then had a cold streak and it stopped. Let my parents use it to haul a boat now have issues check engine light came on had it scanned was told it was a thermostat code could be thermostat going bad or the sensor wire.. never had heating issues.. ac worked when bought it but parents said it started blowing hot air at times before light came on.. took to a shop was told it wasn't the thermostat or wire that my whole AC unit took a crap $900 to fix it and that's why check engine light came on. Didn't have them fix AC said screw it don't need it. Now today it started sputtering and driving like I'm hauling 3 semis and a tank behind me just no power at all. Any ideas what the hell is going on with this turd would be greatly appreciated
Could be multiple things. It would be helpful to know what year of Expedition this is? And to post/ mention the actual codes tripped. Drop by your local parts store & get it rescanned.

IF I were to hazard a guess, I would say that you are getting a misfire. That could be cause by a number of things. Some are simple like dirty air filter or fuel filter, or under performing COP ( Coil On Plug). Could be other things too, but start there. If you have this checked at your favorite shop/garage you also might want to have the fuel pressure checked too.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:21 PM
Yepitsaford
New User
2005 Eddie Bauer not 4 wheel drive... code at part store simply said thermostat sensor malfunction I didn't see the code number.. air cleaner is new.. did it's sputter action yesterday now today it's driving normal gonna take back to shop next week have it re scanned and looked at

Old 06-16-2017, 03:11 PM
KeyKeeper
New User
Find the source of the code issue. These trucks are programmed to disable the AC when they have overheating problem. With AC off, radiator cools better without the AC condenser getting hot. What was the code number, thats whats really needed here.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:46 AM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Is it really overheating or do the instruments just say it is? Could be a weak fuel pump, test the fuel pressure. Could be clogged exhaust as well.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:24 AM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Just another thought....Are you loosing coolant at all??
The heater core hoses can leak over the passenger side plug wells and COPs making it miss too. Maybe because the T-stat isn't operating correctly or the radiator need a good flushing?