2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Line-X bedliner question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 03:49 PM
TomD1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by manowell
I got the premium level with a color match to the King Ranch Caribou color, only had it a couple of months and like it a lot. Previous truck had liner put in by the dealership that was "just as good", it was fading in less than two years. NEXT previous truck had a Line-X which looked good for more than five years.

X1 It looks just like mine except I have a long bed and I love it.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:05 PM
lanedecamp
Junior User
We had one truck with the Ford factory sprayed bed. Like you we had it done as part of ordering a 5th wheel setup. Because of the hardware in the bed, it doesn't get the abuse that a flat bed would in our hands, but it still gouged and had localized wear faster than LineX. We had a 1200 mile drive with a large trailer on the 5th wheel and had a 160 lb steel tool chest sitting in the back. It slid around a bit -- perhaps six inches or so -- constrained by a couple straps to the sidewall of the box. After 1200 miles of highway driving, it had rubbed through the factory spray in the corners. Now when we have it on a trip like that we always put a piece of 3/4" ply under it to protect the liner. Subjectively, the LineX feels tougher, and it seems to be more resistant to a utility knife than is the Ford. Also, we've seen trucks delivered both with the spray liner stopping at the bed hardware and other factory jobs where the bed got sprayed before the hitch hardware was installed. We had to take our hardware off on one occasion and we had a big square of bare metal in the center of the bed. It was not cool. And these were both factory installs (definitely not dealer jobs) so Ford seems to be a little inconsistent about how they do it. Again, a reason to use Linex and do it right.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:05 PM
j759ll
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Larrymac52
question. Is the Line-X significantly tougher than the factory sprayed bed? I plan on a Bakflip cover and a 5th wheel/gooseneck prep so it sounded less complicated than doing it later and worry about the bed bolts etc. But if Line-X was significantly tougher, I might reconsider.
I heard the company they send it out to uses the linex product Ford doesn't spray it

Old 09-15-2017, 06:25 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by triniexr
This may be a stupid question but can you line a trailer with this stuff? I have a 12 foot dump trailer and I would like to protect it and increase its life as much as I can.
yes you can, just saw a superduty at our dealer that was completly sprayed inside and out.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:00 AM
kylant
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts
I had my liner done last week. I went with the Premium. Felt it would suit my needs just fine.

I was very reluctant about having them remove the bed bolts and spray under them. I was assured they do it on every truck and it would be fine.

Against my gut feeling, I went ahead and let them remove the bolts.
When I picked up the truck, I noticed the bed was not even and lining up with the cab the same on both sides. It may have been like that from the factory and I never noticed. However, now I was specifically looking for it and noticed it.

So yesterday, I decided to try an adjust my bed. I loosened the bolts, but when I got to the driver side 2nd bolt back (the one right above the fuel tank), it just spun.
After investigating, discovered the bolt was not threaded into anything!
Dammit. They managed to dislodge the clip nut and not bother to try and put it back.
Of course this is right above the fuel tank. With luck, I found the clip on top of the fuel tank. It has been up there for about 500 miles.
I struggled contorting myself into a pretzel, but with my dad's help and a lot of luck, I was able to get the clip back in and get the bolt to thread.
I was unable to shift the bed, but did get the bolts torqued down appropriately.

So, to anyone else debating about having the bolts removed to have the liner sprayed in, I would think long and hard about it. If I were to do it again, I would not

Old 09-26-2017, 09:48 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
I did not experience this when Line-x took my bed bolts out and sprayed my bed.

If I had, I would go back to them to address. Especially if I found what you did. Line-x is not cheap and asking for quality work you paid for is perfectly acceptable.

imho

Old 09-26-2017, 10:41 AM
78Fords
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fvevrervege

Old 09-26-2017, 11:14 AM
Mgjfam
Senior User
I went into the LineX dealer and firmly said that I wanted the more expensive premium (black color)....to my surprise, he talked me out of the it. He was willing to do the premium if I wanted it. He said the only thing the premium has over the standard is the UV protection -- other than that, they are the same.

After a period of years, the standard will loose it's shine, but the bed protection is the same---your just paying more for the shine.

Frankly, I normally keep a tonneau cover over mine, so it doesn't get much UV.....and the inside of the pickup bed being super shiny is not important to me.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:14 AM
HangtownMatt
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Paw's 150 Lariat
Put a heavy bed mat on top of the liner to stop things from sliding and cushion your knees if you have to do anything inside. The mats work great too with no spray in liner.
I agree. I can get an 8' x 4' x 3/4" rubber horse stall mat at my local feed store for $45. How can you beat that? No bed liner required.

Matt

Old 09-26-2017, 11:33 AM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kylant
I had my liner done last week. I went with the Premium. Felt it would suit my needs just fine.

I was very reluctant about having them remove the bed bolts and spray under them. I was assured they do it on every truck and it would be fine.

Against my gut feeling, I went ahead and let them remove the bolts.
When I picked up the truck, I noticed the bed was not even and lining up with the cab the same on both sides. It may have been like that from the factory and I never noticed. However, now I was specifically looking for it and noticed it.

So yesterday, I decided to try an adjust my bed. I loosened the bolts, but when I got to the driver side 2nd bolt back (the one right above the fuel tank), it just spun.
After investigating, discovered the bolt was not threaded into anything!
Dammit. They managed to dislodge the clip nut and not bother to try and put it back.
Of course this is right above the fuel tank. With luck, I found the clip on top of the fuel tank. It has been up there for about 500 miles.
I struggled contorting myself into a pretzel, but with my dad's help and a lot of luck, I was able to get the clip back in and get the bolt to thread.
I was unable to shift the bed, but did get the bolts torqued down appropriately.

So, to anyone else debating about having the bolts removed to have the liner sprayed in, I would think long and hard about it. If I were to do it again, I would not

Had my truck sprayed in February. I wanted them to spray over bolts, they said it will look terrible, be hard to remove bolts it needed someday, etc. Then I told them that I heard these bolts are 'single use' and they said no they're not....they are the same as the F150.

I noticed a popping noise when truck would articulate at slow speeds. Dealer visit #1: they tightened suspension down and couldn't replicate the problem. Dealer visit #2: I suggested that it could be the bed bolts. They agreed and didn't have them in stock. Dealer visit #3 (today): all bed bolts were replaced (4 we're toast). I was told that all must be replaced even if there is an issue with one. Anyway, problem solved....

Moral of the story: Don't touch the bolts, spray over them.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:44 PM
kylant
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by JeepPuller
I did not experience this when Line-x took my bed bolts out and sprayed my bed.

If I had, I would go back to them to address. Especially if I found what you did. Line-x is not cheap and asking for quality work you paid for is perfectly acceptable.

imho

i agree, but the shop is 100 miles away from me. it's one of those things, i could fix my self and be done with it.

Originally Posted by snelldawg
Had my truck sprayed in February. I wanted them to spray over bolts, they said it will look terrible, be hard to remove bolts it needed someday, etc. Then I told them that I heard these bolts are 'single use' and they said no they're not....they are the same as the F150.

I noticed a popping noise when truck would articulate at slow speeds. Dealer visit #1: they tightened suspension down and couldn't replicate the problem. Dealer visit #2: I suggested that it could be the bed bolts. They agreed and didn't have them in stock. Dealer visit #3 (today): all bed bolts were replaced (4 we're toast). I was told that all must be replaced even if there is an issue with one. Anyway, problem solved....

Moral of the story: Don't touch the bolts, spray over them.

how were the bolts "toast"?
I don't see how a grade 10.9 bolt can be a "single use" bolt

i bet your bolts were not torqued down properly after they sprayed the liner. i know my were not

Old 09-26-2017, 01:48 PM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
how were the bolts "toast"?
I don't see how a grade 10.9 bolt can be a "single use" bolt

i bet your bolts were not torqued down properly after they sprayed the liner. i know my were not[/QUOTE]

Maybe they weren't torqued properly after the spray. But the dealer tried torquing them properly on visit 2 and it didn't work. Mechanic said they were 'toast' I don't know what that means but he also said they are 'single use'. I'm grateful that they handled this as a warranty item.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:00 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mgjfam
I went into the LineX dealer and firmly said that I wanted the more expensive premium (black color)....to my surprise, he talked me out of the it. He was willing to do the premium if I wanted it. He said the only thing the premium has over the standard is the UV protection -- other than that, they are the same.

After a period of years, the standard will loose it's shine, but the bed protection is the same---your just paying more for the shine.

Frankly, I normally keep a tonneau cover over mine, so it doesn't get much UV.....and the inside of the pickup bed being super shiny is not important to me.
My understanding is that while the UV protection makes it a little more slippery, it makes it much easier to clean. I hear that you really need a pressure washer to clean the liner without the UV protection. A simple hose rinse cleans my LineX with UV protection.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:19 PM
reesestewww
Junior User
Originally Posted by kylant
i bet your bolts were not torqued down properly after they sprayed the liner. i know my were not
What ft. lbs should the bolts be torqued to?

Thanks

Old 09-26-2017, 02:20 PM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by reesestewww
What ft. lbs should the bolts be torqued to?

Thanks
129 pound feet

Quick Reply: Line-X bedliner question