2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Official "leveled" thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 08:15 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
The looseness is due to a lack of caster that results from the level. You will probably also notice that the steering wheel does not return solidly to center after a turn on its own. There's two easy solutions. Get the adjustable caster bushings and have them set the angle to 3.6 - 3.9 degrees. That will restore the firm steering that came from the factory. Re-centering the steering wheel is super easy and I'm surprised they let the truck go without taking care of that for you. You should just ask them to do it after installing the caster bushings. Remember that an alignment is only as good as the tech doing the work and the fact that they did not center your steering wheel is an indication of poor quality work. You would do well to check around for a shop that really knows what they're doing. Much better results that way.

It's good you're getting this taken care of right away. Some guys will needlessly suffer with poor steering performance for the life of the truck. If you get these fixed quickly you'll be back to full enjoyment of the truck.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:51 AM
shaneinga
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BGMSPD
So I'm having 2 issues since leveling the truck. Truck was delivered from dealership with the BDS leveling kit I supplied along with new Fox shocks, tires and wheels. They did an alignment but the steering wheel is not centered and the steering feels "loose". Not what I remember during a test drive before I ordered the truck. So is there something that the dealership should have possibly done differently. They are over 1 hr 30 min away so I'm trying to avoid going all the way back if I can get it fixed close to me.
That's not normal. Sounds like they didn't get the alignment right. I would call them and see what they say.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:59 AM
Emcrab
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeputyDiesel
How much did that bumper bring your front down?
i didn't measure before and after putting the bumper on. I can't tell that it's any lower so I would say very minimal amount at the most

Old 06-24-2017, 11:32 AM
BGMSPD
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
The looseness is due to a lack of caster that results from the level. You will probably also notice that the steering wheel does not return solidly to center after a turn on its own. There's two easy solutions. Get the adjustable caster bushings and have them set the angle to 3.6 - 3.9 degrees. That will restore the firm steering that came from the factory. Re-centering the steering wheel is super easy and I'm surprised they let the truck go without taking care of that for you. You should just ask them to do it after installing the caster bushings. Remember that an alignment is only as good as the tech doing the work and the fact that they did not center your steering wheel is an indication of poor quality work. You would do well to check around for a shop that really knows what they're doing. Much better results that way.

It's good you're getting this taken care of right away. Some guys will needlessly suffer with poor steering performance for the life of the truck. If you get these fixed quickly you'll be back to full enjoyment of the truck.
I thank you sir. I was driving down the highway and had to steer the thing just to stay in the lane like it was a 20 year old truck with 300K miles on it.

I didn't have time to turn around and go back to the dealership after I noticed on the way home. And since they are over an 1hr 30 min away I really don't feel like taking the trip back.

Here's the alignment report I got when I picked it up.

Old 06-24-2017, 03:06 PM
Hackenbush
Laughing Gas

Received 155 Likes on 94 Posts
That alignment is a joke, Hope they didn't charge you for it. I'll bet the caster is in the red. I'd have them take a reading before the Caster shim's are installed so you know what to Install 2.75 deg Positive is the largest I've seen available so far. Factory shims only reach 1 Deg Pos. Good luck

Old 06-24-2017, 05:28 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Agreed, that report doesn't make any sense at all. .15 and .10 caster is acceptable? No way. Again, find a shop that has a good reputation and let them put the adjustable caster bushings on for you.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:43 PM
BGMSPD
Laughing Gas
Agreed, that report doesn't make any sense at all. .15 and .10 caster is acceptable? No way. Again, find a shop that has a good reputation and let them put the adjustable caster bushings on for you.
Any idea if the ones that come with the BDS kit are adjustable or do i need to buy them. The factory ones were removed, and given back to me in the "parts" box along with the factory shocks and track bar bracket.

I really appreciate the help.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:57 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BGMSPD
Any idea if the ones that come with the BDS kit are adjustable or do i need to buy them. The factory ones were removed, and given back to me in the "parts" box along with the factory shocks and track bar bracket.

I really appreciate the help.
I don't know what is in the BDS kit but the fact that your truck is still wandering and loose feeling means the caster is not high enough. I did a 2.5 inch ReadyLift and got great results after finishing the caster adjustment. The reason I said your report doesn't make sense is because the final numbers on my alignment were 3.6 and 3.9 degrees (can't remember which side was which). Here's the bushings that were put on my truck:

https://www.amazon.com/Moog-K80154-Caster-Adjusting-Bushing/dp/B00180J7IC/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Ford%7C54&Model=F-350%20Super%20Duty%7C670&Year=2017%7C2017&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=5&vehicleType=automotive https://www.amazon.com/Moog-K80154-Caster-Adjusting-Bushing/dp/B00180J7IC/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Ford%7C54&Model=F-350%20Super%20Duty%7C670&Year=2017%7C2017&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=5&vehicleType=automotive

Hackenbush is an expert on this topic.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:08 PM
LOWRPMTORQUE
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Epic, I remember you ran 37" tires before your level kit. Did you install the level for looks and or extra ground clearance? Was there another reason?

Old 06-24-2017, 06:14 PM
Hackenbush
Laughing Gas

BGMSPD

Where are you located in NJ and I'll make a call to the nearest shop for you. I Owned 3 Large Front end Spring shops for 27 years and we are all (Eastern shop Owners)still in touch. If your close to Balt I still have my old partner there and he will get it right for you Ronnie @ Peters Spring & Front end shop.

https://www.yellowpages.com/baltimor...gnment-1029458
Also Mercer is the place if it's close they will hook you up
Truck Equipment, Parts, & Accessories Retail - Trenton, New Jersey - Mercer Spring
I'm in Mclean Va. 6 miles south west of DC so thats little far.
If you call just refer to Skip Paris from VA. Spring & Alignment or Martin & Boyd Spring or Thurston Spring Spring or Roanoke spring works. Sorry I shut everything down 10 years ago To GD Old for that anymore. Any help I can do PM

Old 06-24-2017, 06:19 PM
BGMSPD
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Hackenbush
BGMSPD

Where are you located in NJ and I'll make a call to the nearest shop for you. I Owned 3 Large Front end Spring shops for 27 years and we are all (Eastern shop Owners)still in touch. If your close to Balt I still have my old partner there and he will get it right for you Ronnie @ Peters Spring & Front end shop.

https://www.yellowpages.com/baltimor...gnment-1029458
Also Mercer is the place if it's close they will hook you up
Truck Equipment, Parts, & Accessories Retail - Trenton, New Jersey - Mercer Spring
I'm in Mclean Va. 6 moles south west of DC so thats little far.
If you call just refer to Skip Paris from VA. Spring & Alignment or Martin & Boyd Spring or Thurston Spring Spring or Roanoke spring works. Sorry I shut everything down 10 years ago To GD Old for that anymore. Any help I can do PM
I greatly appreciate all the help. I'm actually just outside philadelphia. I have a guy i've always used but i used the dealership this time to save my self a trip and time waiting for this to be done after i took delivery. But as i'm sure many have experience in life, it's not always worth the time you save when things like this happen. I can get it in tuesday morning to my local guy. I'll check with him monday to see if i need any parts or if he'll have them or get them when i come in with it. But if that fails for some crazy reason, ill reach out to you.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:23 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by LOWRPMTORQUE
Epic, I remember you ran 37" tires before your level kit. Did you install the level for looks and or extra ground clearance? Was there another reason?
I leveled for both reasons. First I do prefer the look but the more practical reason is that we like to go to the desert and the mountains and explore some pretty remote locations. Think sand washes, creeks, fairly serious rocks, etc. We take the side-by-sides for the extreme stuff but sometimes you just want to go cruising off in some direction with the AC on.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:24 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
There is a pretty hefty penalty for running the large tires. Witness my recent 5,100 mile circuit to the east coast and back at the beginning of June. I really wished I would have had the OEM Michellins for that job.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:25 PM
Hackenbush
Laughing Gas

He should stock all the Moog kits or Dayton kits most quality front end shops do.
Good Luck
Like Epick said, it all depends on the Alignment Tech.
And there's some doozies out there

Old 06-24-2017, 06:28 PM
LOWRPMTORQUE
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I leveled for both reasons. First I do prefer the look but the more practical reason is that we like to go to the desert and the mountains and explore some pretty remote locations. Think sand washes, creeks, fairly serious rocks, etc. We take the side-by-sides for the extreme stuff but sometimes you just want to go cruising off in some direction with the AC on.
That makes sense and looks cool too.

Quick Reply: Official "leveled" thread