2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Lock Warning!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 08:12 AM
191124x7
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lock Warning!!

So I'm not very happy with my SD today.

I've always locked my truck by pushing the black button on the door handle and walking away -- and I like not having to take my keys out of my pocket.

This morning, as I'm heading out to work, I reach for the driver's door handle (to unlock the truck to put some gear in the back seat), and hear the locks unlock. I pop open the rear driver's side door and look right though the truck.

The rear pax door is wide open!

Amazed I push the black button on the driver's handle and hear a satisfying 'locking' noise.

Bottom line, there is NO warning if you hit that button and doors are still open.

Ford: Here's an idea... instead of causing me to lose my hearing with two large horn blasts if I walk away with the keys in my pocket while the truck is running -- which is stupid because...I can hear it running... how 'bout instead you blast that horn if I go to lock the truck and one of the doors is open??

Bottom line? I am going to have to test to see if the bottom two buttons on the b-pillar alert and if not, I'm going to have to either get in the habit of checking all the doors or pulling my keys out to lock it.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:31 AM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There ha e been many times where people have thought they shut their car off after parking in the garage and went inside. This has caused I'll was and death from car exhaust entering the house hence the warning that it is still on (beep beep).

Sounds like you are angry at Ford instead of angry at yourself for not seeing your door wide open (whonforgot to close it?). Sounds a little similar to the Explorer I saw Friday driving with his tailgate wide open and not realizing it lol.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:35 AM
191124x7
Elder User
Originally Posted by Blwnsmoke
There ha e been many times where people have thought they shut their car off after parking in the garage and went inside. This has caused I'll was and death from car exhaust entering the house hence the warning that it is still on (beep beep).
I drive a truck. It makes noise. The only way I wouldn't hear it is if I became deaf from the horn blasting in my ear.

Sounds like you are angry at Ford instead of angry at yourself for not seeing your door wide open (whonforgot to close it?). Sounds a little similar to the Explorer I saw Friday driving with his tailgate wide open and not realizing it lol.
I'll get over it. I love my truck.

The point of your post was what?

Old 06-05-2017, 08:42 AM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the parking lights flash when it locks, none of which are confirmation that all the zones are secure. My 2004 didn't provide any confirmation of doors closed (or open) either.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:48 AM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
If you press the bottom 2 buttons on the keyless entry pad together, it'll lock every time.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:54 AM
k7lvo
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like someone needs an automatic door-close option....

Old 06-05-2017, 09:00 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Ford's policy on warning of a door ajar upon locking has always been no warning is given unless the remote fob is used and the lock button is pressed twice.

The simple reason is that the driver may exit the vehicle and close his door, but other doors are open while those passengers exit. The driver can choose to lock the vehicle and walk away - all doors lock - and when the passengers finally finish exiting they can shut the doors which are now locked. It would be rather annoying to have the driver lock the doors before everyone was out and hear loud horn blasts.

So if you want the warning...hit the lock button on the remote twice...one horn chirp means all doors shut and locked. Two chirps means a door / hood is open.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:00 AM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2009kr
If you press the bottom 2 buttons on the keyless entry pad together, it'll lock every time.
but it won't close your doors
aftermarket alarms can warn you that a zone is not armed (for doors its usually triggered by the dome light having remained on).

Old 06-05-2017, 10:01 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Good case for self driving cars! We can't be trusted to shut the doors let alone operate the vehicle at highway speeds! I mean, what if you drove away like that and took out a mailbox!

Old 06-05-2017, 12:05 PM
191124x7
Elder User
Originally Posted by troverman
Ford's policy on warning of a door ajar upon locking has always been no warning is given unless the remote fob is used and the lock button is pressed twice.

The simple reason is that the driver may exit the vehicle and close his door, but other doors are open while those passengers exit. The driver can choose to lock the vehicle and walk away - all doors lock - and when the passengers finally finish exiting they can shut the doors which are now locked. It would be rather annoying to have the driver lock the doors before everyone was out and hear loud horn blasts.

So if you want the warning...hit the lock button on the remote twice...one horn chirp means all doors shut and locked. Two chirps means a door / hood is open.
Thanks man. That's all I was looking for.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:39 PM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

450 die annually from falling out of the bed in merica. Why does my bed not honk when I get out of it?! My bed is actually silent and has no emissions so how do I know if it's actually shut off?

Old 06-05-2017, 12:54 PM
k7lvo
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sleepyguy
450 die annually from falling out of the bed in merica. Why does my bed not honk when I get out of it?! My bed is actually silent and has no emissions so how do I know if it's actually shut off?
If you can find somebody to sue for this, it won't be long before we're all wearing harnesses when we go to bed, have airbags mounted on the floor beside the bed, and 911 will be automatically called if the airbags deploy.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:03 PM
chukeeee
Mountain Pass
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
If you hit the lock button on the door, then close the door, the lights will flash if all the doors are closed. No flash? one isn't closed

Old 06-06-2017, 08:01 AM
191124x7
Elder User
Originally Posted by chukeeee
If you hit the lock button on the door, then close the door, the lights will flash if all the doors are closed. No flash? one isn't closed
Thanks! That's awesome!!

Old 06-06-2017, 02:50 PM
191124x7
Elder User
Originally Posted by chukeeee
Originally Posted by 191124x7
Thanks! That's awesome!!
Actually, my experience is a little different and I wanted to document it here so anyone who comes along with the same complaint can get some relief.

Here's how it works on my truck...try this out if you care:

1. This works best if you fold the tow mirrors before shutdown (which I always do)
2. open both doors on the driver's side.
3. press the black button (nothing should happen)
4. close the driver's door
5. press the black button (you will hear the doors lock and the mirror's running lights will STAY ON).
6. close the rear door and hit the black button again (you will hear the doors lock and the mirror's running lights will FLASH BUT IMMEDIATELY GO DARK).

So, bottom line...

IF any doors are OPEN, the amber lights that wrap around the mirror will STAY ON.

If ALL doors are CLOSED, the amber lights that wrap around the mirror will FLASH AND TURN OFF.

Perfect solution for me.

Quick Reply: Lock Warning!!