Sponsored by: DP Tuner

squealing brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 08:11 PM
Liquid10Rider
More Turbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
squealing brakes!

Hi guys, Ive dealt with this issue many times before but this time im at the last straw. I cant deal with sqealing brakes!! I have tried OEM, napa brand, auto zone and everything is fine for about a month into it and than they start to squeal. I always use the high temp ceramic brake lube on all brake parts. I have cut rotors, changed rotors, changed pads, prayed to the brake gods but nothing has worked.

I was curious to see what everyone is using out there and maybe there is one brand that everyone is choosing over the others out there and having great result.

Any info is good info.

Thank you,
AJ

Old 06-04-2017, 12:51 AM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you used slotted (not drilled) rotors with semi-metallic pads? They produce more brake dust, but I have not had any squealing. There is a high temp adhesive (between the pad and piston) that helps with brake noise.
Do you drive on gravel or dirt roads?
Larry

Old 06-04-2017, 08:14 AM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

I changed the rotors & pads on my e-350 last year & now they squeal every time I stop. Very annoying, lesson learned ,next time I will stick with oem as these were aftermarket. Drives me nuts but I gotta get a couple years out of them.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:55 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
All I use are lifetime warranty (Bosch) rotors from oriellys and EBC brake pads (from riffraff of course!!).

They do not sell a pad at the autoparts store that I would use. They all SUCK.

Also, turning these rotors is not recommended. If they aren't already below spec (thickness), they will warp again in short order after turning.

If the rotors are not warped, don't turn them!!

The EBC pads have an abrasive break-in coating that 'conditions' old rotors. The advice to always turn rotors is really outdated...

Old 06-04-2017, 10:00 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by retiredsparky
Have you used slotted (not drilled) rotors with semi-metallic pads? They produce more brake dust, but I have not had any squealing. There is a high temp adhesive (between the pad and piston) that helps with brake noise.
Do you drive on gravel or dirt roads?
Larry
Drilled, slotted and otherwise molested rotors do not improve performance on our trucks.

Rotors, just like pads, are a wear-item. You will replace them. I've been getting 50-60k miles from EBC Yellowstuff pads on my dually and I just swap rotors at every pad change (lifetime warranty rotors).

Old 06-04-2017, 09:49 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As you may know I used to be an EBC fan too. I also backed them with Bosch lifetime rotors.

I don't know how long it has been since you purchased EBC Yellows but the last two sets that I ran didn't last 15k and faded like crazy and trenched the rotors. I don't have a clue as to what has changed.

FWIW, a friend of mine suggested that I try NAPA Safety Stops. I was VERY skeptical. They cost 1/3 of what the EBC's do. They now have about 10k on them. I pulled the tires today to do an inspection and there is very little wear on the pads or rotors. They also stop really well in these large hills where we live with almost no fading.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:51 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
I've been using PowerStop drilled and slotted rotors, along with their Z36 Extreme Truck and Tow ceramic pads. They stop well and I don't have any brake squeal.
https://www.powerstop.com/product/po...ter%201%2F2000

I've always found the best price on the Powerstop kits at either RockAuto or AutoAnything.

Of course I am also meticulous about how I do brakes. Everything gets cleaned, hardware is always replaced ( Those shiny stainless inserts the pads slide on are a wear item and meant to be replaced with every pad change), and everything is liberally greased with High Temp ceramic brake lube. ( slides, tip of pads, back of pads where they contact the piston and the caliper, as well as removing any factory junk lube from the caliper pins and replacing with the ceramic stuff).

Another important thing, that many people probably forget, is the pad spreader/drag reduction clips that belong on the front pads. They are little wishbone shaped springs that put just enough force on the pads to help ensure they retract away from the rotor when you let off the brakes. Without them, the pads will tend to slightly drag.
2000 FORD F-250 SUPER DUTY 7.3L V8 DIESEL Turbocharged Brake Pad Drag Reduction Clip | RockAuto

Are your rotors or pads glazed perhaps? That could cause squealing. Glazing comes from overheating the brakes. That is one of the advantages of drilled rotors (increased cooling). The slots also allow brake dust and gases to escape, instead of getting between the pad and rotor. Also, the slots help to "scrape" a fresh surface onto the pad continually, removing any potential glazing on the pad at least.

Are you following the proper break in procedure for the new pads? This can make a big difference in longevity and long term performance.
https://www.powerstop.com/brake-pad-break-in-procedure/

Old 06-05-2017, 06:38 AM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Anyone use products from Brake Motive? I think they used to. E a sponsor here.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:19 PM
Liquid10Rider
More Turbo

Hey guys im sorry for not responding for a while. Lately my brakes haven't squealed but i am noticing that i am getting a shimmy when slowing down. I checked my pads a week ago and still have life left but when i change them i will go with Bosch rotors and not sure what pads. I saw the one post about the ebc pads not holding up. Is that a true fact? And are the ebc pads meant for heavy towing or normal everyday driving? I bearly tow but i drive the truck daily.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:40 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Liquid10Rider
Hey guys im sorry for not responding for a while. Lately my brakes haven't squealed but i am noticing that i am getting a shimmy when slowing down. I checked my pads a week ago and still have life left but when i change them i will go with Bosch rotors and not sure what pads. I saw the one post about the ebc pads not holding up. Is that a true fact? And are the ebc pads meant for heavy towing or normal everyday driving? I bearly tow but i drive the truck daily.
The EBC Yellowstuff is an 'aggressive' pad that requires less pedal pressure for normal stopping. I've put these pads on at least a dozen trucks (a few sets on my own junk). I find brake dust to be similar to OE pads, but easier to clean off - I just use water and a soft rag or just my bare hand. I'll have to look it up to be sure, but my current front pads have at least 40k miles on them and I just replaced rears a couple weeks ago (they had more miles than that).

The only negative is these pads sometimes squeak during break-in (up to 1000 miles depending on how you use them).

I would totally choose these pads even if I didn't tow. I hate to give up the braking confidence I feel with them and I notice 'inferior brakes' every time I drive another SuperDuty.

The 'shimmy' is warped rotors. I have also not warped a rotor yet using EBC pads. If you do warp a Bosch, that is covered by warranty and you can just swap them out. ;-)