1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

BOOM!!! Psssshhhhh....Who's heard that sound?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 09:03 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Im glad nobody said 'use hair spray'.
Some good advice there. I didn't know brake cleaner was okay for the boots, it doesn't hurt them?

Hair spray is supposed to lube, then dry sticky. Your idea of the brake cleaner is better though- it lubes, then dries...dry

Old 06-04-2017, 09:04 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 1996pwrstrk
Yesterday I finally got a chance to install my new GTP38R and someone didn't tighten a intercooler boot , out on the test drive taking it easy then stood on it the boost gauge went up then BOOM Whhhooosssseeee no boost crap ! Went figured it out test drive 2 came back with a big ole permagrin !
I think it's a rite o' passage, LOL

Old 06-04-2017, 09:23 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
Some good advice there. I didn't know brake cleaner was okay for the boots, it doesn't hurt them?

Hair spray is supposed to lube, then dry sticky. Your idea of the brake cleaner is better though- it lubes, then dries...dry
Does not hurt boots. My RDP boots have like 200k miles on them and have been bathed in brake cleaner many times. This is also what I do to EVERY truck I work on. Stock boots eventually get saturated with oil - that's why soaking them overnight submerged in soapy water helps.

After my method, you'll have to use a screwdriver to free the boots once they've seen some heat/cool cycles.

Besides no sticky mess, you'll save the embarrassment of having to buy hair spray....

Old 06-04-2017, 09:26 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Also, any time you have boots off - DO A BOOST LEAK TEST prior to driving!

Pressurize system to at least the psi you expect to make and you can save yourself the roadside underwear change and subsequent limp home with handicapped truck.

I build boost leak detectors for less than the cost of a Starbucks. There's no reason anybody who works on their own truck shouldn't have one!!

Old 06-04-2017, 11:23 AM
countrycar
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1996pwrstrk
Yesterday I finally got a chance to install my new GTP38R and someone didn't tighten a intercooler boot , out on the test drive taking it easy then stood on it the boost gauge went up then BOOM Whhhooosssseeee no boost crap ! Went figured it out test drive 2 came back with a big ole permagrin !
Hey Dave, I'm also running a 38r w Diesel site 6x6 wheel. With the ccv in place it makes it difficult to keep the boots in place when you lay into the throttle. I had the ccv on my truck, rerouted for some time, but here in ca we have to smog, so it becomes a pain in the butt to have to put it back to oem and remove everything as well. So the ccv on my truck is currently in the oem position. If you see your IC boots keep popping off, it might be something to consider for you, being you can do it and just leave it. I was seeing 45 psi with my 38r and 6x6 wheel. So you can imagine when things go BOOM, it's taken out boots and the matting/liner on my hood as well.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:38 AM
countrycar
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
It is a disconcerting sound that should never come from an engine

First the adrenaline rush and pucker factor from the sound and impact, then the relief to realize, "Oh yeah, I'm driving a 7.3L, it's gotta be something simple...nothing 11mm socket and screwdriver can't fix"
.. Pucker Factor

Old 06-04-2017, 12:15 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
CAC tubing brace

I just saw this. What a great idea! These picture are on a 6.0 but I would think it can be done on our trucks as well. Something to look into, especially for us that are running upgraded turbos.

Attached Images   
Old 06-04-2017, 12:53 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
" but here in ca we have to smog, "
I guess that we have different requirements in my neck of the woods up here in NE Cal. Smog is just a visual check to see if things are in place and hooked up. No tail pipe sniffing or any of that other jive. Unless things have changed in two years. I will soon find out in the next couple of weeks.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:02 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
" but here in ca we have to smog, "
I guess that we have different requirements in my neck of the woods up here in NE Cal. Smog is just a visual check to see if things are in place and hooked up. No tail pipe sniffing or any of that other jive. Unless things have changed in two years. I will soon find out in the next couple of weeks.
Yeah, the visual part is why I had to put my CCV back in place. As soon as I did, BOMM CAC hose blows off. That's why I did the 1/8" under wire trick under the IC hoses, and I then glued my IC hoses to the CAC pipe. When I remove my CAC pipe, it comes off with IC hoses attached to it.. I think if I tried to remove them, I would have to tear them off. The, guys running the stock turbos, should be able to keep them in place utilizing the standard, cleaning and hair spray trick. I run a severely modded truck, so I've had to learn how to get very creative.
With no disrespect to the OP, Mr ExPAcamper. On Edit: On the smog topic, visual/ wand up the pipe/ and they put them on the rollers and connect to the OBD portl and run them. My apologize fellas.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:27 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
If anyone is interested, here's a picture of the 1/8" wire ring used to hold the IC hoses in place. This can be done on a stock set up as well. It's just extra insurance, and more so if you've upgraded your turbo wheel, or the turbo itself. It's also very cheap to do, and it doesn't have to be SS. It can be aluminum which is much easier to form.

Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2017, 04:04 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by countrycar
...With no disrespect to the OP, Mr ExPAcamper. On Edit: On the smog topic, visual/ wand up the pipe/ and they put them on the rollers and connect to the OBD portl and run them. My apologize fellas.
No worries, it's all good. Always glad to learn and share

Old 06-04-2017, 10:30 PM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by countrycar
Hey Dave, I'm also running a 38r w Diesel site 6x6 wheel. With the ccv in place it makes it difficult to keep the boots in place when you lay into the throttle. I had the ccv on my truck, rerouted for some time, but here in ca we have to smog, so it becomes a pain in the butt to have to put it back to oem and remove everything as well. So the ccv on my truck is currently in the oem position. If you see your IC boots keep popping off, it might be something to consider for you, being you can do it and just leave it. I was seeing 45 psi with my 38r and 6x6 wheel. So you can imagine when things go BOOM, it's taken out boots and the matting/liner on my hood as well.
Thanks but I just forgot to tighten the last clamp on the intercooler hose , mine has been vented to the atmosphere for 12 yrs but I do appreciate the input.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:28 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Had it happen here too, twice in a row two days ago and once yesterday, once on my brother, fixed it, second time it worked off, no noise, yesterday after securing the clamp on the spider side the other clamp blew on the same boot on the passenger side, irritating to say the least, but nice to know my girl is putting out boost…

Old 06-05-2017, 11:36 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Countrycar, never had to put mine on the rollers. Just visual and 3K snap test. If the smoke stays around more then 30 seconds I believe it fails. They look pretty hard at the visual for cat and turbo mods.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:02 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Bonanza
Where in N. Cal are you? Like I mentioned earlier they don't even start the engine up here. At least they didn't two years ago but I will soon find out I guess.

Quick Reply: BOOM!!! Psssshhhhh....Who's heard that sound?