6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Popped the hot side intercooler tube.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 02:27 PM
WK15
More Turbo
Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts
Here is a thread with a write-up and pictures.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...em-trucks.html

GolfMedik used the H&S system.

I used the MPD kit. I'm fully deleted.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:04 AM
rob17
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
After removing the original tube I notice a film of oil on the inside of the tube. There wasn't enough to drip or run just a film. The truck in my signature has has 65000 miles. Is this normal?

Rob

Old 06-03-2017, 11:36 AM
cangim
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rob17
After removing the original tube I notice a film of oil on the inside of the tube. There wasn't enough to drip or run just a film. The truck in my signature has has 65000 miles. Is this normal?

Rob
Yes this is normal, thanks in part to a closed crankcase ventilation(CCV).

Old 06-03-2017, 12:23 PM
rob17
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cangim
Yes this is normal, thanks in part to a closed crankcase ventilation(CCV).
Thanks Mike, hoping it wasn't the turbo.

Rob

Old 06-06-2017, 10:31 AM
_red rocket_
Senior User
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
It showed one left yesterday, but 2 left today. I am just glad I got mine before they ran out.
Amazon states they should be back in stock June 10th, 2017. Got mine ordered as a precaution as I have a 2 week tow trip coming up and we will be hitting the heat of UT for the 5 national parks. I don't tow nearly as heavy as some of you (only a 9000-9500 lbs loaded TT) but replacing this will give me some peace of mind. I'm at about 70,000 miles with a non-replaced OEM pipe and I will proactively be installing the new pipe... not waiting for a potential failure.

Confirmation email from Amazon states order should arrive by June 14, 2017.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:22 PM
jav_eee
Laughing Gas
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Anyone else have trouble installing? The larger clamp didn't go on very well, like it was too small.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:09 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 924 Likes on 331 Posts
Originally Posted by jav_eee
Anyone else have trouble installing? The larger clamp didn't go on very well, like it was too small.
Maybe a photo of you installation progress might help? Havent really had any complaints, unless you were sent the incorrect clamp to begin with. My Mishimoto kit had a 4", 3.5". and 2 - 3.25" clamps.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:38 AM
jav_eee
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by djousma
Maybe a photo of you installation progress might help? Havent really had any complaints, unless you were sent the incorrect clamp to begin with. My Mishimoto kit had a 4", 3.5". and 2 - 3.25" clamps.
I'll get pics this afternoon. I didn't measure the clamps but I got one larger one and 3 that looked identical.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:37 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Rudy's IC Cold Pipe

Originally Posted by jav_eee
And that is where my problems started. In summary, it was a long day but is probably done. I had three 3" clamps and a 3.5" clamp. None were any fun as the Windex dries quickly and needs to be reapplied. The 3" clamps at the IC went on after unscrewing to the last couple of threads. But the 3.5" just didn't want to work and while trying to loosen the nut more, it popped off and the spring attempted a moon launch and was never found. I finally got a new 3.5 from NAPA. In the interim, I was not happy with the fit of the short rubber boot as it seemed off sides but took it for a test ride. When the boost hit 20, BANG! I limped home, saw the elbow SS pipe was off and too far out of alignment on the high side, so I loosened everything up and set the elbow further into the curved hose from the IC. Now things went together better and I used the NAPA clamp this time.
So while looking at it, something was different on the air cleaner side of the engine. I could see rusty, hot pipes that I hadn't seen before and then saw some small metal clips with nothing there. When the rubber boot blew off the throttle body connection, it must have blown some heat shield off as well. I need another test ride to confirm all is well, but am happier with the way things went together the second time. We won't even talk about dropped tools into the abyss or 2 trips to NAPA to get the correct clamp. 4" is way too big, BTW.
And while an off set bracket for the PS reservoir may have created more room, it didn't seem necessary.

Completed Rudy's IC cold pipe install

Exposed piping and empty clips to center right.

Last edited by SkiSmuggs; 06-08-2017 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Add photos
Old 06-08-2017, 10:24 PM
Bfazona
New User
The exposed pipes and clips are 100% normal. Those are for your EGR and the "clips" are actually gaskets. The ears on the just hold them in place of sorts and are quite sharp, as you reuse them when installing the No Limit kit.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:38 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bfazona
The exposed pipes and clips are 100% normal. Those are for your EGR and the "clips" are actually gaskets. The ears on the just hold them in place of sorts and are quite sharp, as you reuse them when installing the No Limit kit.
Thanks! That is a relief. I do think it looks unfinished. LOL

Old 06-09-2017, 11:31 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
I haven't done a full on test of the new pipe after the reassembly, but had to make a dump run this morning so when I fired up the truck to back it to the garage, I headed for the street instead and had to pull a hill 1/4 mile away. I drove normally, but the boost hit 7 lbs on the hill, then I heard a beer can open, PSSSHH. When I got back to the house, I popped the hood and the sensor was no longer in the pipe. I remember when I put it in thinking they didn't provide for that little locking tab. As I was putting the sensor back, I noticed an anomoly in the sensor seat 180 degrees from the locking tab. Looking closer, I saw it was a ramp with a sharp drop. Pulled the sensor, turned it 180 degrees and the tab fit like it was supposed to. No wonder I don't do this for a living!

Old 06-09-2017, 12:02 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Saw a couple comments from a few days ago about possible issues with Amazon running low on the Rudy's kit. I just ordered a Rudy's and it should be delivered by next Tuesday.
All the tips and photos are much appreciated. Not as near worried about the install as I initially was. I hope I don't regret saying that...

Old 06-09-2017, 02:45 PM
jav_eee
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ssunit1
Saw a couple comments from a few days ago about possible issues with Amazon running low on the Rudy's kit. I just ordered a Rudy's and it should be delivered by next Tuesday.
All the tips and photos are much appreciated. Not as near worried about the install as I initially was. I hope I don't regret saying that...
As stated earlier: windex to help get the silicon parts in the right position and slip-joint pliers to help wrestle the larger clamp on. Other than that, it's pretty easy.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:34 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Never thought of slip joint pliers, but you absolutely need a deep 7/16" socket for removal and a 10mm deep socket for installation. And lots of Windex.

Quick Reply: Popped the hot side intercooler tube.