Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Time For Headers/Studs...Y-Pipe?

Old 05-30-2017, 10:42 AM
kinson33
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Krewat
Don't go with Hedman. Unless someone hands them to you free.
Roger that.

Banks are expensive but I haven't heard any complaints from those who have installed them. But at that price range I have other things to do for the house first

Old 06-08-2017, 06:50 PM
the cleaner
Senior User
I have a couple of broken studs on my 08. I have no leaks at this time, but was considering headers on replacement as well.

Can u eliminate the cats with free flow cats or just pipe? and if so, will it still run the same? I only have 120K wonderful miles on this Awesome Truck.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:27 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
Depends on if you live in a state with emissions testing/inspection or not. No inspection then you can just cut out the cat and straight pipe it. If there is inspection, but not California, then a free flow cat is your option.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:50 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by the cleaner
I have a couple of broken studs on my 08. I have no leaks at this time, but was considering headers on replacement as well.

Can u eliminate the cats with free flow cats or just pipe? and if so, will it still run the same? I only have 120K wonderful miles on this Awesome Truck.
The 3-valve is fully OBD-II compliant, so there are O2 sensors after the catalytic converters. It'll throw a code if you remove the cats. You can tune around that, but why would you want to?

Ever walk near a running vehicle without the catalytic converters? Stinks to high hell, especially if there's ethanol in the gas.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:23 AM
Sinntax
New User
Originally Posted by Krewat
The 3-valve is fully OBD-II compliant, so there are O2 sensors after the catalytic converters. It'll throw a code if you remove the cats. You can tune around that, but why would you want to?

Ever walk near a running vehicle without the catalytic converters? Stinks to high hell, especially if there's ethanol in the gas.
I've heard of this making your gas milage even worse, and doesn't really add much performance????????? mines an 01' (no sensors after cats)

Old 06-11-2017, 08:31 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
I don't know why, but people report different results when they gut or remove the cat. From loss of low-end torque to "it's great!" - I don't know why. I've heard bad things especially about the 3-valve. It's tuned intake and exhaust seem to like to stab people in the back if they are screwed with.

In my mind, I'd rather not take the risk of getting pulled over on the highway by some State Trooper who has a ******** for checking emissions equipment.

Back in the day, like the 70's, when they were just bolting on anything to make the vehicle pass emissions requirements, removing emissions devices actually helped. These days? The PCM and the engine are designed to have those devices in place and operating correctly.

While I understand the impulse to gut the cat if it melts because you don't have the disposable income to do it right, I just don't think removing the cat these days is a smart idea.

Of course, if you want to stick it to the man, well, have fun, but realize it can come at a price

Old 06-13-2017, 11:31 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
Finally got the truck in to the shop to put on the headers. They found two more broken studs in addition to the one I knew about. All three broken off deep into the head. Likely going to have to drill and tap.

While it's in they're going to redo the Y-pipe to a more free flowing setup.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:30 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
Well, I don't know if there's any extra power, but the throttle response is drastically improved! The engine snaps to life from idle with a blip of the pedal.

With the fuel pump being replaced Friday, I should be done with repairs/maintenance/mods with this new-to-me truck.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:19 AM
maticuno
Posting Guru
The shop I used had a jig for making custom Y-pipes. It ended up looking a lot like the SPD for a lot cheaper.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:22 AM
jraybon128
New User
What headers did you go with, I'm in the same boat with multiple broken ex studs and slight leaks at first start up. I am wanting to replace with headers and y pipe too.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:10 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
Gibson unfinished stainless headers from Auto Anything, cheapest place I could find.

$494 with free shipping. Gibson Exhaust Performance Headers - FREE SHIPPING

Old 06-22-2017, 06:41 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Those look exactly like the eBay ones.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:01 AM
Sinntax
New User
I have the stock "ram horn" style 'Y' pipe... is the EBay weld in kit much of an improvement of that style?

Old 07-18-2017, 02:35 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
Very good improvement in throttle response, but only to be done if you also have aftermarket headers. Running a high-flow Y-pipe with the factory manifolds generally leads to exhaust flutter, which is a very annoying metallic rattling sound.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:35 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
Finally got around to shooting a video clip of the new exhaust sound.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Time For Headers/Studs...Y-Pipe?