1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

H SERIES flathead six WATER PUMP, THERMOSTAT HOUSING

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 09:38 PM
76-5.0
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 226 in my 48 F1. Mine is complete and running. I might be able to help with any questions, just don't have any spares.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:55 PM
Ricardo Chambers
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks!
I would like to know about your drive train.
Transmissions and rear end gearing seem to be
a big consideration for flathead performance.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:44 PM
Ricardo Chambers
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by bhalemail
I'll get the housing out to you in Tuesday's mail. Check napa for gaskets for both the water pump and thermostat housing. They got them for me but had to order them...or like tom said you can make them
Bill,
I got a nice surprise when I went for the mail!
Thank you!

Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2017, 07:48 PM
bhalemail
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good deal John and thanks for the postage check. So you are not Ricardo? You are the previous tight end coach, John Strollo, for Bill Obrien at PSU? oops, sorry. PSU is my team and we are plowing forward in the rebuilding process after some very bad times.

Let me know if you need any help getting that 226 running.

Originally Posted by Ricardo Chambers
Bill,
I got a nice surprise when I went for the mail!
Thank you!

Old 05-31-2017, 07:56 PM
Ricardo Chambers
Mountain Pass
I had a feeling you were a Nittany Lion fan!!!
the kids were great players, but more than that, great people!
I'm trying to decide if I should drill out some threads in a 47 bellhousing?

Old 03-25-2019, 08:28 PM
jonathon.smith5
New User
Water pump leak

Good evening all,
So i am in the process of rebuilding a ford 226 h series, slowly might i add. I have never heard it run since we got the 1943 ford 1/2 ton back in roughly 2000. We have machined the the engine, new pistons, bearings, etc. And got it all back together, got a harness roughly wired and got it to turn over but no spark (still working on that), but then noticed a steady drip from the bottom part of the water pump flange. Do any of you with experience in this engine have any thoughts on what would cause that? It has a new gasket. Any help is appreciated.

Jon

Old 03-25-2019, 08:39 PM
bhalemail
Elder User
Is the water pump rebuilt. Could be the pump itself or the mating surface and gasket. Some probably won't like this but I used a VERY THIN coat of permatex great stuff gasket maker on both metal surfaces, pump/block with a new gasket between on my rebuilt 226 and no issues. My pump was remanufactured from Napa. They sent it out to be done so I got my original pump back. I think there was a Cardone? Paper inside but it was a few years ago. Can you see any wetness on the surface of the pump? I'm inclined to think gasket area if the pump was rebuilt

Old 03-25-2019, 09:16 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
You say "water pump flange". Do you mean the flange on the shaft that the fan bolts to?

Old 03-26-2019, 04:19 AM
Ricardo Chambers
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by jonathon.smith5

Good evening all,
So i am in the process of rebuilding a ford 226 h series, slowly might i add. I have never heard it run since we got the 1943 ford 1/2 ton back in roughly 2000. We have machined the the engine, new pistons, bearings, etc. would cause that? It has a new gasket. Any help is appreciated.

Jon
Looking at the thermostat housing, it looks unlike mine. Also, H series took over for G series in late 48’ (or was it ‘47?). Could you have some attempted combination of mis-matched parts?
Your block looks like an H

Old 03-26-2019, 06:11 PM
jonathon.smith5
New User
The water pump has not been rebuilt. I did call the local napa store and they can ship it about 40 min away to have it rebuilt, cant get a quote until they see it. Looked around for a new one prior to putting the engine back together and couldnt find one since they seem hard to find as you all have noted. Not sure about the thermostat housing being different. This was the one that came on the engine. The 226 went from g to h in 1948/49 i think so its not the original one from the truck since the repair manual i got for the engine was from an f-1 (was an army truck in ww2 given the olive drab color in under dash areas). We actually got a g series engine too sitting in the barn now that was initially sitting in the bed of the truck while the one in reference was under the hood. If i have to take the pump off maybe i will just swing it over to napa and get it rebuilt. I will also try and clean up the block where it mounts. Thanks for the help...now if one of you could come to Michigan to get this thing running.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:25 PM
bhalemail
Elder User
Find TDC on cylinder 1 and your timing mark should be at the pointer or very near by (look in spark plug hole for top of piston to make sure your not off 180 degrees). There are many ways to do this, I've also done it by pulling the plug and sticking my thumb over plug hole and bumping starter waiting to feel compression then I look for the approaching timing mark alignment. Then set your distributor and rotor to be pointing at number one. Air,fuel,spark and she should fire. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch and I've gotten 4 of these things to run, some better than others.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:04 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
The G engines were introduced with the 48 truck model year. If the truck you're working on was produced earlier - especially if it was military, all bets are off. Certainly the thermostat housing is not G series.

These are fairly forgiving engines with simple systems. I'm sure you'll get it fired.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:57 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
That series engine was used in industrial applications. Who knows where that housing may have originated.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:05 PM
jonathon.smith5
New User
Again thank you all for your insight. I will be sure to post when and if i get it going. Wish me luck!

Old 03-27-2019, 02:03 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I recall that thermostat housing being used on marine engine conversions in the '50's.

Quick Reply: H SERIES flathead six WATER PUMP, THERMOSTAT HOUSING