2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Tailgate Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 09:47 AM
Super-Truck
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tailgate Announcement

Just a heads up for some of you. I noticed yesterday that when I let down my tailgate that it is actually resting on the bumper on the passenger side. Ive only let the tailgate down a handful of times, but my first thought was too check for scratches, and well yep I had a few. Luckily I was able to buff them out. I am going to adjust my bumper this evening and bring it down just a bit so I can clear at least a grain of sand lol.

I thought maybe my truck was just a one off, but after checking my buddies, his also touches the rear bumper.

Seems that it would clear if the truck didnt have the KR or platinum tailgate. May want to check yours before you let it down on some sand or other debris on the bumper. I would have died if I let it down on a small rock and then used the tailgate step!

Had linex installed, but I did not remove the bed bolts to avoid box alignment issues. I was in the booth the whole time until he sprayed, nothing abnormal occurred.

Also as i found in another thread, there is very little tolerance between the plastic piece (dually light blank) and tailgate. I took mine off to avoid possible scratches that another user encountered.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:51 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Did you have lined done? Box alignment is typically off if they tighten the box bolts incorrectly. I would have the dealer address these issues but that is me, and you obviously have it under control.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:57 AM
Super-Truck
Senior User
Originally Posted by mhoefer
Did you have lined done? Box alignment is typically off if they tighten the box bolts incorrectly. I would have the dealer address these issues but that is me, and you obviously have it under control.
Edited, I knew that would be the first response. Dont like other people working on my stuff as they just dont really care, if you know what I mean. Not worth the risk of a door ding or grease on the seats at the dealer. Looks like about a 5 min job to bring it down a bit. But yes I do feel the dealer should make it right, just not worth it though.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:00 AM
The Big Tow
Senior User
Originally Posted by Super-Truck
Just a heads up for some of you. I noticed yesterday that when I let down my tailgate that it is actually resting on the bumper on the passenger side. Ive only let the tailgate down a handful of times, but my first thought was too check for scratches, and well yep I had a few. Luckily I was able to buff them out. I am going to adjust my bumper this evening and bring it down just a bit so I can clear at least a grain of sand lol.

I thought maybe my truck was just a one off, but after checking my buddies, his also touches the rear bumper.

Seems that it would clear if the truck didnt have the KR or platinum tailgate. May want to check yours before you let it down on some sand or other debris on the bumper. I would have died if I let it down on a small rock and then used the tailgate step!

Had linex installed, but I did not remove the bed bolts to avoid box alignment issues. I was in the booth the whole time until he sprayed, nothing abnormal occurred.
Are you saying that if you just open your tailgate like normal, it touches the bumper?

Anybody else having that problem??

I wonder if you put a couple hundred pounds on the tailgate what would happen??

I don't like the sound of that

Old 05-16-2017, 10:16 AM
44Dan44
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine is good to go, thanks for making me check though. Also reminded me to look at my center plastic piece that many are replacing with the dually light kit. Looks pretty tight there and I'll replace it to give more clearance. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1486721-oem-led-center-light-assembly-package.html

Old 05-16-2017, 12:18 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine clears but not by much about a 1/16th inch

Old 05-16-2017, 12:33 PM
BII Plow Truck
Elder User
Why is this an "Announcement"???

Old 05-16-2017, 01:04 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Public service announcement to the owners on this site, so they don't wreck their tailgates accidentally.

I'll check mine, but seems fine as I've regularly loaded 300+ lbs on the tailgate and even stood on the tailgate step with that load on the gate...not a mark on my tailgate.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:19 PM
Johnpsz
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
thanks, I will add it to the things to check before I take delivery...

Old 05-16-2017, 02:54 PM
Super-Truck
Senior User
Originally Posted by BII Plow Truck
Why is this an "Announcement"???
Two different King Ranch trucks tailgates touch the bumper when open. So i figured if it has happened to two trucks built way off from each other, it could be an issue on more trucks.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:55 PM
Super-Truck
Senior User
Originally Posted by troverman
Public service announcement to the owners on this site, so they don't wreck their tailgates accidentally.

I'll check mine, but seems fine as I've regularly loaded 300+ lbs on the tailgate and even stood on the tailgate step with that load on the gate...not a mark on my tailgate.
I think the KR and Platinum badging eats up a bit of the clearance. While my truck only touches on the passenger side, my buddies touches on both sides.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:28 PM
44Dan44
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Super-Truck
Two different King Ranch trucks tailgates touch the bumper when open. So i figured if it has happened to two trucks built way off from each other, it could be an issue on more trucks.
No need to explain yourself. 99.9% of the people here would appreciate the heads up. 0.01% are offended by the term 'announcement' apparently.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:35 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
To the OP,p yeah, I figured, adjust yourself makes sense. I will check mine too. Thanks for the warning. I have noticed, that if there is snow on the tailgate it does get compressed, something to watch out for is if there is ispce and snow build up, better to sweep off before dropping the tailgate to prevent damage. I don't have the KR or platy badges which do take up the space.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:07 PM
HoustonianDale
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Just a tip: never place anything on the bumper. You will forget and drop the tailgate. There is not room for anything. I tend to want to put keys, tongue locks, etc.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:53 AM
Merlin053
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checked my truck last night and there is a 1/4" gap on both sides and I have the King Ranch applique

Quick Reply: Tailgate Announcement