Towing a 14' enclosed trailer with an Expedition

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 02:25 PM
74Mav
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Towing a 14' enclosed trailer with an Expedition

I'm going to be moving to Maine next week, and will be towing an 8 x 14 enclosed trailer with my '05 Expy (doesn't have the optional tow package).

With what I've got to move, I don't anticipate topping 5500 lbs for the trailer. I've got a brake controller, and will be installing a trans cooler on Monday. Have wired up a 7 pin connector for the trailer as well.

Anyone have any other suggestions? This will be the longest distance I've ever towed a trailer, just want my bases covered.

Thanks!

Old 05-06-2017, 08:50 PM
cyncwby
Elder User
That should be a piece of cake for an Expedition......... first off don't let yourself get all worked up and start anticipating a bunch of problems. The trans cooler and brake controller are great idea's. Fresh oil and filter wouldn't hurt.

As for driving, give yourself plenty of time, take a break every 4 hours or so. Give yourself plenty of distance from the car in front of you ........ be assured that when you do that some yokle will jump right into that spot. Remember the trailer when you make right turns, take them a little wider and WATCH your rear view mirrors.

Just take it easy, don't drive over 65 mph as that's usually the speed rating for the crappy chinese tires that these trailers have. Speaking of which, make sure the tire pressure is correct for max load and the spare is the same. Enjoy the trip.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:03 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I'd be a lot more worried about the tires and hubs on the trailer than the Expy. If it's a tandem bring two spares, blowouts have a bad habit of giving you a two-fer on the same side.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:18 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
you have a weight distribution hitch? You may want to use one of those, especially since you have somewhere around 1500 miles to go. (just a guess).

I would also avoid I95 as you head north at Savanna, GA if that is your route.

Drop over to I81 and although busy it is a much better route and no tolls.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:28 PM
pikapp
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
you have a weight distribution hitch?
Ditto. I used to tow an enclosed car trailer with my 05 Expy, tow weight was just shy of 8K. Had to have a WDH since max tow capacity was 9200#. Had a brake controller (Prodigy P2) installed as well, did great. Over time, the weight of the trailer was just to much for the Expy, now the F150 does all the work and does it very well.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:59 AM
senix
Super Moderator
thread moved to the proper location.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:50 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Your expedition should have an auxiliary cooler already. The non hd towing package came with a smaller (6row) auxiliary cooler. I think you'll find it to be more than adequate. Based on experience, I wouldn't dump it in favor of an aftermarket cooler, it works really well.

You've got plenty of truck and plenty of power. You'll do fine.

I'd recommend locking out overdrive with any trailer of that size regardless of weight. Mine doesn't pull that much wind sail in overdrive very well.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:00 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by senix

I would also avoid I95 as you head north at Savanna, GA if that is your route.

Drop over to I81 and although busy it is a much better route and no tolls.

Good advice. Run up 81N to Scranton, Pa.
Then take 84E through Hartford until you hit 90E in Ma.
One exit to 290E through Worcester to 495N
To the end onto 95N and on up through NH and Maine.

You will have a small toll on 90 in ma, couple dollars on 95 in NH, and a butt reaming in Me.

This will save you a small fortune vs. running 95 up through NYC

Old 05-13-2017, 11:42 AM
74Mav
Tuned
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
I'd be a lot more worried about the tires and hubs on the trailer than the Expy. If it's a tandem bring two spares, blowouts have a bad habit of giving you a two-fer on the same side.
Put new tires on it and hubs are freshly greased.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:48 AM
74Mav
Tuned
Originally Posted by cyncwby
That should be a piece of cake for an Expedition......... first off don't let yourself get all worked up and start anticipating a bunch of problems. The trans cooler and brake controller are great idea's. Fresh oil and filter wouldn't hurt.

As for driving, give yourself plenty of time, take a break every 4 hours or so. Give yourself plenty of distance from the car in front of you ........ be assured that when you do that some yokle will jump right into that spot. Remember the trailer when you make right turns, take them a little wider and WATCH your rear view mirrors.

Just take it easy, don't drive over 65 mph as that's usually the speed rating for the crappy chinese tires that these trailers have. Speaking of which, make sure the tire pressure is correct for max load and the spare is the same. Enjoy the trip.
Lol... taking occassional breaks happens with the gas gauge. Getting roughly 220 miles poorer tank. Not bad since the whole rig with me and a full tank weights in at 10850 pounds.

Originally Posted by meborder
Your expedition should have an auxiliary cooler already. The non hd towing package came with a smaller (6row) auxiliary cooler. I think you'll find it to be more than adequate. Based on experience, I wouldn't dump it in favor of an aftermarket cooler, it works really well.

You've got plenty of truck and plenty of power. You'll do fine.

I'd recommend locking out overdrive with any trailer of that size regardless of weight. Mine doesn't pull that much wind sail in overdrive very well.
That it did. I didn't realize it until I went to put the Derale unit in. Needlessto say, the Derale got boxed back up. And yeah, I don't tow in overdrive.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Much appreciated.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:09 PM
BCooke
Senior User
Be prepared for potholes up here by Scranton.
Load the trailer with the proper weight on the hitch and make sure your hitch height is correct.
If you can tow 10-15 miles the night before with the load, if you are starting early in the morning, you get the feel for it while you are fully awake.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:58 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Having driven lots of long trips, I often try to:
- begin trip by starting really early (2 am)
you get daylight in a few hours to extend your first day's drive
- plan the first hotel check-in at noon or 2 pm
(The first day's drive is often the roads you know the best because they are close to home)
- get a good rest
- stay in hotel before a big city/urban area
- get early start in morning to beat morning rush hour

Keep a bag for garbage handy.

Keep a small cooler with drink bottles, you can refill with water from hotel, the 20oz powder pkts let you add flavor, if you like. Lots cheaper than buying expensive drinks. SIP the drinks to extend time between needing to make a restroom stop.
banana, grapes, or apple are easy to eat while driving.
Powerbar type snacks provide an easy protein source between meals.

I try to plan a rest stop to include a sit down meal, fuel up, and restroom break.
while waiting for the food, check your GPS or map to refresh what is ahead, confirm your hotel room, especially if late check!!

In remote areas, coldcuts or peanut butter (need a knife!) and bread make a quick lunch at a rest area possible. They have restrooms too!

In my youth, I drove in a hurry, passed the same motor home 5 times one day (NJ to FL). The motor home kept a steady pace, didn't need to make frequent stops to get gas, get a meal, worry about speeding tickets, etc.
I felt like a hare to their tortoise.

above all be safe, if tired, stop, get out, walk around, get a coffee (or cola).
I prefer to bring along a 6/12 pack of Cola vs coffee at a store, it also a cold caffeine source in warm weather.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:40 PM
74Mav
Tuned
Well I made it.

Last 6 hours in the rain and wind made the final leg interesting. Even though the trailer weighted in at less than 6000 pounds, I can definitely see the benefit to a WD hitch with sway control. The Expy had PLENTY of power, even for the long grades on I81. Only day where I had outside temps over 60 was when I left Florida on Friday. From the time I left Fayetteville, NC Saturday morning, it was 60 or lower.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:51 PM
senix
Super Moderator
today I 81 was nice through VA, too bad it couldn't have been today.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:05 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
How did you do keeping up with traffic on the big grades? I haven't had mine on any long climbs yet so I'm curious.

Quick Reply: Towing a 14' enclosed trailer with an Expedition