1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

The Adventures of Sanford

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 09:19 PM
fljab
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Jim - Buckets don't fit a regular cab without some work, as described here: Seat Interchangeability - ???Gary's Garagemahal.
True, but it can be done if you find the right JY parts like you wrote in that article. Not to mention there are probably other ways to get some Bronco buckets and console in there if you are in the garage and look at it long enough.

And, none of the Bullnoses had cup holders - assuming you agree that the little rings on the glovebox lid are jokes rather than cup holders. Big Blue is about as top of the line as you can get with his XLT Lariat Explorer C Package credentials, and he doesn't have any.
I've never had a top of the line Bullnose, so now I know. I did own a brand new '96 F250 4x4 that I special ordered (and still kick myself for selling it a few yrs later), and it had a bench seat with a similar little plastic cupholder clipped on the front. I still have that around here somewhere as I found it was close the the ZF shifter depending on what was in it, so I took it off.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:44 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
There's always a way to mount the buckets, given enough washers and long enough bolts plus a drill. But, Ford reinforced the floor for some reason, and I doubt washers qualify as reinforcement. I like the idea of doing it in the way Ford did it, and bolting it in.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:27 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fljab
I still have that around here somewhere as I found it was close the the ZF shifter depending on what was in it, so I took it off.
I could use another one if it was grey, blue, red or tan-ish colored.

Yeah, i have a ton of projects.

As for the cup holders, yeah, i consider them borderline necessity nowadays. While i grew up with the time honored tradition of 'holding your beverage between your legs' and i got quite proficient at shifting without spilling my cup, my wifey has a nice habit of asking me to bring her home a beverage when i pick up food, and i need a place to put it.

The reason i like this particular cup holder setup is that it can be quickly removed for cleaning, or if it gets in the way of a 3rd passenger having to sit in the middle.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:56 AM
fljab
Posting Guru
I like the idea of doing it in the way Ford did it, and bolting it in.
No argument there; yet another reason your Bullnose garagemahall site is a great guide.

I've got bigger issues to deal with way before doing buckets anyway; I was mainly speculating. But I know it can be done given the right combo of JY parts.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:03 AM
fljab
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bootlegger's Deluxe
I could use another one if it was grey, blue, red or tan-ish colored.
It was grey. I'll keep that in mind, altho I have to admit your post has me interested in seeing if it could work in my '81. If I decide not to use it I'll mail it to you, OK?

Old 05-09-2017, 08:13 AM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by fljab
It was grey. I'll keep that in mind, altho I have to admit your post has me interested in seeing if it could work in my '81. If I decide not to use it I'll mail it to you, OK?
if you decide to use it, you will need to source the super weird self tapping bolt/stud thingies (thats a technical term, btw) that screw into the seat. if you dont decide to use it, let me know.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:58 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Today Sanford hit the highway. Wifey and I had to go to the big town (Dubuque, Iowa) to go pick up a new oven. As soon as she climbed in, she made the comment that it felt just like sitting in the old Farm Truck, i told her that it was because this was the same seat we were riding on in the farm truck back when we were dating.

The ride itself was a bit... harsh. I own plenty of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, but this truck seemed to jar over the bumps and carjacks especially hard. im wondering if a front shock may be locked up or something. the drivetrain held up well, the speeds and rpms were managable, and I had a blast using the massive 460's torque curve to overcome any traffic.

wifey wasn't nearly as receptive, as the dust from decades gone by finally got blown free from highway speeds with the kick panel vents and windows open. She didnt enjoy the rough ride, or the effort required for her 5'4" self to get into a big old F250 on 305s.

But that cupholder was so full of WINNING as we went through Wendy's for some food.

Overall, truck survived it's first 100+ mile drive, I need to price out front shocks, and cupholders rock.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:05 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Did you drive Big Blue by mistake? Everything you said applies perfectly to him including, as you said, wifey's lack of appreciation for the ride and getting into the cab. But, I have taken the headliner down, which got rid of one huge source of dirt, and cleaned out the HVAC ductwork, which eliminated another. So things are a bunch cleaner.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:27 AM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

I also removed Sanford's headliner, and spent plenty of time vacuuming when I had the seat out last weekend.

Women just dont understand the charms of a big old truck with a big block/ 4 speed, i spose.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:14 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

some may have noticed the lack of action with Sanford lately. It's because I'm trying to get my car, a 1966 LTD, put together and ready for Hot Rod Power Tour.

Attachment 287884

Name:  VSYHKofl.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  52.8 KB

But that car is now sitting up at the exhaust shop, and with me having a few days off of work (wisdom teeth removal) I decided to tinker a bit on Sanford.

First off, i jacked up and inspected the front end. When i put Sanford together, i knew all too well that after regular driving, some suspension parts would loosen up, they always do. And sure enough, 3 out of the 4 tie rod ends were quite loose. I'll add it to the list.

Next, i moved on to pulling off the leaky old Holley carb and swapping on a used Edelbrock i picked up. I was surprised to see that there were two sets of spacers under the Holley, one was an aluminum block one that was about an inch thick, and the other was about 3/4" thick and made of plastic. the aluminum one had a nipple on the back that went to the PCV valve. Both spacers had the 4 hole configuration.

The issue i ran into was that the rear throttle blades wont open with the 4 hole throttle configuration. So, now, asking you all, what sort of spacer do i need to get? Should i just get this one?

1" Aluminum Carb Spacer Carburetor Pro Series Port Fits Holley Edelbrock Chevy | eBay

and ditch the two spacers, just run this, and let the throttle blades move freely? or do i need to keep the bottom factory spacer and run this on top?

1" Phenolic Carb Spacer Carburetor Series Fits Edelbrock Holley Sbc Bbc Chevy | eBay

Old 05-25-2017, 10:37 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Why do you need a spacer? I haven't run on on the 351W, 351M, nor 460 - all with Edelbrock carbs. But those were/are running Edelbrock intakes as well. Are you running the factory intake?

Old 05-25-2017, 11:00 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

currently, yes, i am running a factory intake. whenever i get to a different point, i will be swapping to a different intake.

the spacer is twofold. First off, it would allow the linkage to line up at a somewhat correct angle, and also keep the throttle blades away from the 4 holes that they tend to hit on. also, the spacer seems to have some sort of PCV provision built into it.

If you'd like, i will nab pictures tomorrow night.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:24 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
The pic might help.

How much interference is there? Is it just as the blades are almost fully open? If so, can you bevel the edge of the back holes to let them open?

I ask because the open-plenum spacers tend to change the flow characteristics of the intake. So I think you are better off using a 4-hole spacer that matches the intake, assuming you can make one of them work.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:11 AM
CountryBumkin
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not the cheapest - but (the 4 hole "Power Cone" is) highly recommended by the engine gurus on the 460 engine forum. I expect the benefits would be equal for smaller CID engines.
Note that a 4 hole provides better low-end response and the open hole is designed for higher rpm applications.

Jomar High Performance parts - Phenolic Carburetor spacers to fine tune the engines performance

Old 05-26-2017, 07:20 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin
Not the cheapest - but (the 4 hole "Power Cone" is) highly recommended by the engine gurus on the 460 engine forum. I expect the benefits would be equal for smaller CID engines.
Note that a 4 hole provides better low-end response and the open hole is designed for higher rpm applications.

Jomar High Performance parts - Phenolic Carburetor spacers to fine tune the engines performance
Good info.

Quick Reply: The Adventures of Sanford