Rear view Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 10:20 AM
oxt127
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rear view Cameras

I know this topic is covered every so often but technology is always changing as well.

I would like to know what you all are using for:

1. Back up camera for on the truck. I can mount as high as the cap on the bed or to the licence plate. Main use is hitching the trailer at odd angles, i'm pretty skilled otherwise.

2 Back up camera for on the trailer/RV
I would like to be able to use this as a live view traveling down the interstate as well, not just going backwards. I can go either way for wired or wireless. Trailer is 30' and the truck 8'bed crew cab.

What have you all found to be of quality? and a do not buy?
Not looking to spend multiple hundreds here but do know they can get to 400/500 easily for the trailer cameras.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:12 AM
DVSF350
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For my camper I just bought a cheap $90 Can camera with a separate transmitter and 7" screen (will only work well from less than 10 feet away). I mounted the camera on the back of the camper and extended the wires for the transmitter to the front of the camper so its only a few feet from the screen ( receiver) in the truck. Wired it up to power on with camper running lights. Works great and no wires need to be run from camper to truck and a lot cheaper than a long distance transmitter system.
Amazon Amazon

Old 04-18-2017, 12:32 PM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
I am toying with using a gopro with a mount and my cell phone with a capture app to load my slide in camper and put on the back of my travel trailer as needed.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:26 AM
vtfireftr
Junior User
Rearviewsafety.com lots of options and great customer service.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:35 AM
SecondChance
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Our Grand Design Reflection came pre-wired and with a mount for the Furrion units. They come either as a backup camera or as a full-time rear monitor (higher resolution, more frequent sampling). We installed the full-time rear monitor version. I've had no reception problems from the back of a 36' fifth wheel to the dash of the LB CC truck. For backing into sites, I still rely mostly on my wife with a 2-way radio, but the camera is very handy for judging when to pull back over after passing 18-wheelers or when a nut-job in a small car wants to put it on the bike rack on the back of the trailer. Most of the backup cameras are extremely wide angle, so it takes some getting used to in order to judge distance and perspective. The truck has nav and a camera, so can't help you there.

Rob

Old 04-19-2017, 05:15 PM
oxt127
Senior User
SecondChance, what model did you go with? I've looked at furrion units before and the rearview safety units last summer. Just didn't want to spend the coin last year. I'm comfortable driving my unit but like the idea of a better view behind since we could all use our side mirrors to extend 2" more than they do.

I'm guessing a lesser expensive unit will be just fine for on the back end of the truck for the hitch.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:55 PM
SecondChance
Tuned
Originally Posted by oxt127
SecondChance, what model did you go with? I've looked at furrion units before and the rearview safety units last summer. Just didn't want to spend the coin last year. I'm comfortable driving my unit but like the idea of a better view behind since we could all use our side mirrors to extend 2" more than they do.

I'm guessing a lesser expensive unit will be just fine for on the back end of the truck for the hitch.
It was the Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL. Amazon is selling them for $140 less now than when I bought mine.

Rob

Old 04-20-2017, 08:59 AM
snowdog79
Laughing Gas
We purchased a Garmin GPS with a wireless camera. Works great, and you can either use it as a backup camera, or have it on all the time and toggle between GPS/camera or split screen so you can see both. Not cheap, but works great on our Class A.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:19 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I keep wanting to have a wide angle camera on the rear of the trailer so I can see behind me and double check clearances on lane changes. I have been waiting for the right device to pop up but I have not found one I like yet.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:08 PM
SecondChance
Tuned
Originally Posted by Twitchyleprechaun
I keep wanting to have a wide angle camera on the rear of the trailer so I can see behind me and double check clearances on lane changes. I have been waiting for the right device to pop up but I have not found one I like yet.
Have you looked at the Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL I spoke about above? It does for us just what you're describing.

Rob

Old 04-20-2017, 06:59 PM
CGA
Senior User
I went with a Rear View Safety wired system. Even with the mirrors at full extension, I could not see more than a inch of fender on my motorcycle trailer with my camper loaded.
Costco was selling them about $50.00 less then other online retailers.
I only bought a single camera, but you can add 2 more if desired.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:11 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SecondChance
Have you looked at the Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL I spoke about above? It does for us just what you're describing.

Rob
I like it but that is way too much cash

Old 04-22-2017, 11:12 AM
oxt127
Senior User
I had actually saved this furion model from one of the trailer magazine articles back in the fall. It's about the least expense camera like this I have come across. Good to see others have had good success with it. My experience with technology is you get what you pay for and the cheaper versions all have reviews of not doing anything but working on the bumper of your truck.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:58 PM
GypsyR
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I put touchscreen type radio in our Expedition. Since it had rear camera input capability I grabbed a cheap camera online, to see if it was something I wanted. First time I didn't back over the dog I decided it was a pretty good idea.
I bought this:
Parking Assistance System Car Rear View Camera 4 LED CCD HD RearView Reverse Reversing Universal Backup Camera Waterproof Night Vision 5516338 2017 ? $6.99
If the link works. $7, camera and wires. I used LocTite on the bracket screws and tossed their mounting tape. Instead I used 3M high strength double-sided tape. It's been mounted for six months now. It surprised me how well it works and how bright the night lighting is for the money. I mounted it to our receiver hitch, about four inches offset from the hitch. Without being offset when the hitch is in, the camera is blocked. The offset takes a bit of getting used to but I can get lined up to a trailer in one shot by myself these days.
Now I want one for my F150. Thinking a separate screen style for it, which is why I'm in this thread. Those Chinese ones on "Lightinthebox" sure can be had cheap. I might try one of their wired setups but I think maybe name brand would be best for a wireless one if I decide to add one to our camper too.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:32 PM
posaune
Freshman User
Originally Posted by CGA
I went with a Rear View Safety wired system. Even with the mirrors at full extension, I could not see more than a inch of fender on my motorcycle trailer with my camper loaded.
Costco was selling them about $50.00 less then other online retailers.
I only bought a single camera, but you can add 2 more if desired.

Looks great, I am going to use the same system. How did you run the cables for the monitor in the cab?

Quick Reply: Rear view Cameras