1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

"Non servicable bolt" failure in HPOP

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 07:47 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jchosler
As far as Im aware the pump is fine, truck operates like it should just has a bad leak that is about 3 months new. Just for my own knowledge, what are signs of a bad pump outside of the non serviceable bolt leak?
I'm not too savvy on these HPOPs yet, but I believe the main (and one of the only signs I've read about) that the pump is going bad is if it doesn't keep up the oil pressure as it should (which would be monitored through a separate gauge or something that can read pressure from the OBD II port). The stock pump can eventually wear out, making less and less oil pressure but this is a gradual thing. Since your pump was rebuilt a few years ago, I'd assume it's still in good shape unless you managed to throw 200k miles on it in that time with improper oil change intervals!

The other way a pump could fail is if something got inside the oil and damaged the internals (or the internals broke apart) which would be a pretty terrible thing to happen to the motor. I don't think this is very common at all so I wouldn't worry about it.

Originally Posted by jchosler
Actually I don't think so, I also mentioned the upgraded HPOP's that Terminator and Adrenaline does and they looked at me like an idiot and said oil pressure is oil pressure. It is regulated so they gave me the whole "sell snow to a eskimo" speel.
As for this, I don't believe that shop understands the oil system on these trucks very well at all, and maybe not much about this generation of powerstrokes if that's what they really believe. Everything I've researched about these engines states that a higher pressure oil pump will be beneficial to these motors, stock and especially if modified. The injectors on these trucks are extremely dependent on oil pressure to run properly, so having a pump be able to provide a higher or at least maintain a more consistent pressure will allow for a more efficient firing of the injectors (which here I'm assuming better flow/spray pattern which allows more efficient combustion and power).

As far as I know, even the stock injectors can be limited by the stock HPOP if the truck is asked to do moderate or heavy work, and gains have been seen even with normal driving conditions when a better HPOP is put in (like the super duty 17 degree pump or something better.)

Long story short, I wouldn't trust that mechanic shop if they believe that there is no advantage of having a better HPOP in there, especially if they just want to slap on a remanufactured obs HPOP in place of your T500. On top of that, they warrant the pump needs to be replaced because the "non-serviceable plug" is leaking. It's very common to have this plug replaced/upgraded.

Originally Posted by DZL JIM
Well, I also run a shop, and I wouldn't be in business long if all I did was overcharge people all the time.

Repairing a job correctly and as inexpensively as possible saving the customer money will keep those same customers coming back. That's how you stay in business.
If you were down in Phoenix maybe I would have taken my Bronco to you guys to get some work done! I don't know if I could afford anything as involved as swapping the motor out like I'm doing now, but having a reputable set of hands look over my setup sure would help! I just hope the replacement motor I'm working on now doesn't have the fuel in oil issue I had before (and that it's compression is at least acceptable!)

Old 04-21-2017, 09:15 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
The other HPOPs don't give more pressure, they provide more volume that you need to drive bigger injectors.

They are not snow for an eskimo. They are firewood for an eskimo.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:17 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell
The other HPOPs don't give more pressure, they provide more volume that you need to drive bigger injectors.

Haha!! Thsi made me laugh out loud...good analogy though.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:26 AM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell

Haha yeah thats a good comparison! Makes sense that the upgraded pumps are better if they allow a higher volume! That way the pressure can stay as consistent as possible when the need for more oil arises!

Old 04-21-2017, 12:52 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Body heat is better then firewood!

Old 04-21-2017, 01:25 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
he said wood

Old 04-22-2017, 02:21 PM
jchosler
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got the HPOP out of the truck ready to perform the fix. As I pulled it the shaft lip seal on the pump was looses and came out. Its in bad shape and should be replaced, cracking and falling apart. I cant seem to find that lip seal anywhere, including dealership. Anyone know where I can get one? There not at riffraff or diesel orings either

Old 04-22-2017, 03:56 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Not sure what your saying? Do you mean the cover you remove to get a socket on the big bolt? If so that's only sealed with Ford IH gray stuff.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:09 PM
jchosler
Elder User
Im talking about on the pump itself. With the pump removed and looking at the shaft end (where the gear bolts to) theres a lip seal that seals the pump and the shaft (where the gear bolts to). It doesnt come in any kits I assume because only the people rebuilding the pumps deal with this seal

Old 04-22-2017, 04:49 PM
jchosler
Elder User
Im having a hard time getting a hold of Joey at Terminator, does anyone know if this is covered under warranty

Old 04-22-2017, 06:30 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
I just took a look at my t500 (still in the bag it got shipped since I'm not ready to install it yet) and saw the seal you are talking about. It's a 'rear main' seal type looking seal that slides around the pump shaft.

For a quick search, I cannot find a replacement seal to order either. I'm sure someone has to provide them though!

I don't know 100%, but I think that seal holds back LOW pressure oil (probably provided to the pump) because I can't imagine a seal like that holding high pressure oil. On top of that, IF that seal leaks, it should leak in between the pump to HPOP reservoir, which has a gasket, meaning that oil would leak back into the crankcase which doesn't seem too bad (as long as that pump is being supplied with enough oil.)

I don't believe this seal would cause there to be an external oil leak in the valley though unless your HPOP to HPOP reservoir gasket was bad.

If the shaft seal is in bad shape, I would try and look to find a replacement before putting in back on though. I'll keep looking at post if I find something.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:42 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Well from some searching, still no luck finding the part but here is a post from another forum about what someone measure for dimensions.

"Ok I need help. I have the swamps hpop parker hydraulic pvp 16 pump. Tues. I was running the truck, shut it off went, in to open the garage door, tried to start it, won't start. So cked out found the pump/gear was slipping. Tore the pump out to run to the machine shop to fix the problem once and for all but as I was taking the pump out, I found that the main shaft seal's inner lip was tore and sticking out between the seal and shaft. Called swamps and they called the company that suppiles the pump (southern hydraulic or something like that). Well they still don't have an answer, I have tried several companies to cross it with no solution yet. it is a viton seal with the following dimensions:

inch----------des.----------metric
.98...........shaft size..........24.91mm
1.77-------bore size--------44.96mm
.430..........depth size..........10.922mm
.485-------max. depth-------12.319
..............(that will fit)
it is a double lip with spring.Guess I going to miss Mondays pull too. This year is not going well, I have missed more pulls this year than the last four years of pulling. I think I might just have to go out drinking tonight. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Thanks for any and all help guys
Dorian
"

This seal may be something you'll have to get a hold of Joey or someone else to get a replacement. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:42 AM
jchosler
Elder User
Thanks for putting in the time looking at that. Anyone else know?

How about Joeys contact? I emailed him (Joey@terminatorengineering.com) and got kicked back a message saying the email is no longer.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:02 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Try getting ahold of Clay at Riffraff.

Edit: You could also try Bob at Dieselsite. I bought my Adrenaline from him and they rebuild them.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:18 AM
jchosler
Elder User
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Try getting ahold of Clay at Riffraff.

Edit: You could also try Bob at Dieselsite. I bought my Adrenaline from him and they rebuild them.

Riffraff forwarded my question to Joey, we'll see if he contacts me. I figure he should be the guy I get in touch with for this problem.

Quick Reply: "Non servicable bolt" failure in HPOP