Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Truck!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 08:50 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by Azryael
...Then I can get back to building furniture.

This is a built-in entertainment center I built for my home using cedar; had to have the mill pick out the pieces because I didn't have my truck yet, and I don't like renting vehicles. Turned out alright for a rustic look...
Nice work you do there.

FTE has all kinds, you'll do just fine here.

With that in mind, there is this really nice guy who lives on an island up in Washington state. Builds cabinets & stuff for Cali elite who have homes up that way. (pays for his truck hobby)

Looks a bit like Hemingway ( ) hangs out in the pre-48 forum & builds a lot of "runners" (Not perfect or even restoration quality but really nice & fascinating stuff) Drops in here time to time. (Forgive me GB)

You might enjoy this one-off scratch build:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ody-wagon.html

Old 04-14-2017, 08:55 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Scndsin
Nice work you do there.

FTE has all kinds, you'll do just fine here.

With that in mind, there is this really nice guy who lives on an island up in Washington state. Builds cabinets & stuff for Cali elite who have homes up that way. (pays for his truck hobby)

Looks a bit like Hemingway ( ) hangs out in the pre-48 forum & builds a lot of "runners" (Not perfect or even restoration quality but really nice & fascinating stuff) Drops in here time to time. (Forgive me GB)

You might enjoy this one-off scratch build:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ody-wagon.html
Thanks! I'm trying to get better so I can do stuff like this full-time instead of messing around with IT stuff.

AH yeah, I've poked my head into a few of GBs threads! Really like to see the way he does things with function in mind.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:22 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Took him out today for his first job under my ownership; couldn't be happier finally able to load it up how I want!

On another note, my front jump seat is being stubborn and doesn't want to go down! I know it's a friction deal, so I'll need to pull of the covers and take a good look.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:54 PM
Glenn54
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow. That looks great. Keep us posted on your paint job, new thread or whatever.

Originally Posted by sandymane
My truck is being painted now. The guy I am working with sent this pic today and it shows the wheel wells without the chrome. Maybe this will give you an idea of what you will have. My chrome is going back on especially with the black Paint. Obviously I am going back with the grey on bottom and the tape pinstripe.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:12 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Took the time to take the chrome off the arches on one side to do some comparisons; what do y'all think?

With trim:

Without:

Old 04-16-2017, 05:50 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 620 Likes on 496 Posts
OH man I like it a lot. That adds to the rugged look, Now you HAVE to get wheels. I am not a huge fan of black wheels but on your truck now ?????? Might look awesome. What do you think?

Old 04-16-2017, 06:06 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
OH man I like it a lot. That adds to the rugged look, Now you HAVE to get wheels. I am not a huge fan of black wheels but on your truck now ?????? Might look awesome. What do you think?
I love black wheels. I painted the stock wheels on my Wrangler matte black using a rattlecan. Looks perfect for it.

Not sure if I'd prefer shiny or for that rugged, workhorse look, roll with flat/matte.

Something like these:

Have them in black and have a suitable on-/off-road tire mounted to them.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:08 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Actually, just like this, tires and all:

Old 04-17-2017, 12:37 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
So, I'm going to see if I can get a set of custom tail light lenses made for my truck that incorporate an actual AMBER turn signal lens.

I have friend in the off-road parts industry who knows a guy who can apparently work with plastics fairly well.

It may seem odd, but growing up in Germany I've always been used to amber turn signals, and prefer them for better visibility.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:12 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
I installed the led turn, brake and stop light bar that goes between the tailgate and bumper. I did it for safety which I think is your goal. You can get them in amber also. They work great and only work when they are needed. Otherwise you never see them. When you use them they WILL be seen. Plenty on Ebay. Wife and I got a Harley in Frankfort and rode the Alps to Monte Carlo a few years ago. Europeans know how to drive and are motorcycle aware. Sandy

There are amber bulbs for your taillights on Ebay also if you don't like the light bar idea.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:14 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
I installed the led turn, brake and stop light bar that goes between the tailgate and bumper. I did it for safety which I think is your goal. You can get them in amber also. They work great and only work when they are needed. Otherwise you never see them. When you use them they WILL be seen. Plenty on Ebay. Wife and I got a Harley in Frankfort and rode the Alps to Monte Carlo a few years ago. Europeans know how to drive and are motorcycle aware. Sandy

There are amber bulbs for your taillights on Ebay also if you don't like the light bar idea.
Oooh, that is a good idea in addition to what I want to do! Increased safety and visibility is absolutely what I'm after.

I do miss being in Europe, hopping in the car, and driving just about anywhere I want to go! Or you could take the train for cheap to just about anywhere too!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, I thought it would be cool to take some photos comparing the size of my truck to the largest vehicle I drove daily before acquiring my F350!

I feel now that my '84 500SE is a tiny land yacht in comparison to the truck! I wonder how a long wheelbase SEL would look next to the truck, as it has an additional 100mm added to the rear doors.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:22 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
This is my trucks cellmate. They would both probably fit in the bed of our trucks.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:09 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
This is my trucks cellmate. They would both probably fit in the bed of our trucks.

Hah! I've got a 2008 3.0si! Just a little under 13k miles, I believe.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:31 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Just got it out of the shop. They did a very good job. No dents, scratches etc. Three coats of paint and three coats of clear. New front bumper.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:39 PM
Glenn54
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That looks amazing. Can you send me a pm and let me know who did the work for you and approximate cost? They sure did a great job.

Just got it out of the shop. They did a very good job. No dents, scratches etc. Three coats of paint and three coats of clear. New front bumper.

Quick Reply: My First Truck!