General Automotive Discussion

F150 V6 engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 06:37 AM
JP Hobbit
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 V6 engine problem

Folks I've been having an issues with my 2002 F150 V6 for awhile now and seems getting worse. Started with a squealing belt on start up awhile ago. Does not have to be cold or hot but every time I crank up and normally on last a few seconds. I've replaced the belt and the tensioner pulley and still present. At one point started having a charging problem so replaced the alternator that had gone bad. Now when I turn key to auxillary my battery gauge shows low. When I turn it over it slow rolls like I don't have a good charge but once it cranks bat gauge goes up to normal. I've cleaned the terminals but problem remains. Twice now I've had to get jumped off. I and a shade tree mechanic friend try to idenity source of squeal but were unable to do so? Multiple issues might not be related but guessing they are. Any suggestions.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:41 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
Welcome to FTE

You'll get a lot more help in the section specific to your truck, but here's a thought.

It may all be electrical. If your battery is down when you're starting, it could get a big charge current from the alt just as the motor is starting -- thus the squeal because the alt is putting a load on the belt.

Also, for some reason, you're apparently not holding charge. That's why the indicator is down before you start it up.

Two possibilities.
1. Bad battery -- just won't hold a charge. You can check it by pulllng the ground side cable then measuring the voltage at the terminals. Measure it again after 12 hours or so -- should be pretty close to the same.

2. Excessive current when it's shut down. This is harder to check only because you can fairly easily break your meter and /or cause some sparks.

- After the truck has been off for 2 hours or more, you can set up for the test.
- Hook a jumper from the battery negative to a good ground -- Connect it so that it will still be connected to the battery terminal when you take off the negative cable.

- Set your meter to current - 200 ma range or whatever you can get that's close-- higher is better.

- Connect the meter negative to the battery terminal and the positive to the ground cable that you disconnected.

- Disconnect the jumper from the negative battery post -- withou disturbing the meter connection. You should read less than 150 ma -- less than 100 is better.

You need to do monkey business like this because today's cars don't go to sleep right away when you shut them down. If you pull the battery cable, some stuff could wake up when you reconnect it, and possibly damage your meter. Getting the positive and negative right on your meter is very important for the same reason.

If this makes you nervous find somebody that is good with electrical.

Good Luck,

hj