Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 f150 reverse sounds/smells bad

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 10:34 PM
f150junkie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 96 f150 reverse sounds/smells bad

I recently purchased a 96 F-150, 98,000 miles on this straight 6 with 4x4. I am smitten with my first Pick up ever.

Overall truck runs well however when in reverse (particularly going up hill) the truck groans and when existing the vehicle there is a smell like burnt brakes or rubber.

I am not going to attempt to fix it myself, but do not want pay for something I do not need.

I am not very good with trucks but pretty decent with a keyboard, imagine my delight in finding a forum full of Ford guru's.
but

Any help much appreicated.

Old 09-01-2003, 09:09 PM
Duderoy
Tuned

Your rear slack adjustor/s might be messed up since it has drum brakes in the rear. I would jack up the rear end and put it in reverse- see if it still does it and feel the drums and see if their hot or not. Also may want to check your park brake cable, see if it's releasing all the way.

Welcome to FTE by the way. Great sorce of info. here.

Old 09-02-2003, 03:33 AM
LibertyOrDeath
New User

Could be like Duderoy said, but it sounds like it could also be a clutch problem. I had a similar problem (only in 5th gear instead of reverse). It turned out to be a weak diaphragm on the clutch plate, and also a badly worn shift bushing (located on the top of the transmission, where the shift lever enters). A little more costly than I would have liked, but 30,000 miles later not a single problem.

Old 09-02-2003, 01:12 PM
f150junkie
New User

I appreciate the feedback. I am glad to have some alternate starting points to learn about/bring to the Ford dealer later this week.

I did not mention it but my truck is manual and does not have a transmission fluid dipstick. One follow up question - if they check the tranny fluid and it is 'bad' (not red but dark) does that mean by default I need a new tranny? I have read about slippage but do not notice in any gear except perhaps reverse.

Old 09-02-2003, 01:31 PM
LibertyOrDeath
New User

if they check the tranny fluid and it is bad, it doesn't mean you need a new tranny, just a transmission flush. (I just had mine flushed last week in conjunction with an oil cahnge, as a matter of fact.) They'll basicly drain out the old fluid, clean inside the gearbox, and refill it with new fluid. I have never heard of dirty transmission fluid causing slippage. In all but the most extreme cases, it just increases wear and tear on the moving parts-which in the long run can lead to more serious and permanent damage to the tranny. If you haven't had it done in a while (or at all) you might want to flush out and refill your front and rear differentials as well. As time marches on, small metal filings will be shaven off and you will be able to see them (along with some misc. gunk) when you pull the drain plug on the diffs. Good luck at the dealer.

Old 09-02-2003, 01:50 PM
fishin1976
Elder User

Don't take it to a stealership, take it to your local mechanic. Your more likely to get a honest opinion there. Especially when you go in not knowing the problem exactly.

As far as transmission problems: You have a manual, nothing to burn out IN it. You will break parts or have other shifting problems when it it time to rebuild or replace it. You could have a clutch that is ready to go out, though. The mal-adjusted rear brakes seem like a very good possibilty, but with the smell you described sounds like a clutch. Could be a combination of dragging brakes and the clutch slipping to overcome the brakes.

Good luck,

Old 09-15-2003, 08:11 PM
f150junkie
New User

I took your advice, went to a local guy. Based on the smell being sporadic he ruled out brakes and leaned towards the clutch. He tried to force the clutch to slip - moving backward/forward with the emergency brakes on. No smell, no slip.

After explaining that I got the smell multiple times when trying to park on a hill and did not get the smell when backing up a hill. He asked when you got the smell were you easing on and off the clutch a lot? I said yes. His best guess was that I was heating up a pad within the clutch and that was causing the smell.

He recommended trying to mizmize this kind of wear and tear on the clutch (obviously). So far, so good.

Thank you for all advice - with the money I saved I treated my truck to touch up paint. ; )