1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Just got my birthday present

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 03:07 PM
thebigtruck
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Pics

Alright, got some pics today after I cleaned out a bay in my shed.

It does have the air cleaner box, I just took it off to get these pictures.

Odd thing I found was this attached to bottom of air intake and it was loose and pulled right out without much persuasion.

It was under the manifold and came right on off.

Right now my plans are to do a tune up first, then repair/fix/whatever the exhaust manifolds. Once that's done and the engine is satisfactory I'll start working my way through brakes, then 4wd, then I'll worry with appearance.

I believe someone had asked for pics of the engine (posting this from my phone so I apologize for not looking up who) to determine how well of a swap had been done. The smog pump is still in place although there is no belt turning it. I'm wondering how much of a pain it would be to go ahead and remove all that stuff? No emissions here in NC plus its farm tags and in 2 years no inspection at all will be necessary.

Thanks to all all who look and comment. Any help is appreciated!

Old 03-25-2017, 03:18 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
The thing that came off is the pre-heat to the air inlet. Read this: Air Cleaners - ???Gary's Garagemahal

Old 03-25-2017, 03:34 PM
thebigtruck
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
The thing that came off is the pre-heat to the air inlet. Read this: Air Cleaners - ???Gary's Garagemahal
Thanks. So am I screwing something up major by not putting it in there right now? Can't see how it was doing anything productive in its current state.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:37 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
As hot weather is coming on you are probably safe for now. But, in the winter you should have it as the engine will appreciate warm air and the carb won't ice over.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:54 PM
thebigtruck
5th Wheeling
Thanks Gary.

I didn't get the best picture of it I see now, but the bolt holes are rusted through on the manifold piece. Are these something that can be found aftermarket or do I need to find a junkyard somewhere? There's not many near me that I've found is why I ask. What term would I search for if I go to the trusty google machine to find it?

Old 03-25-2017, 09:05 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
The official name is "carburetor air cleaner air duct shroud", but I doubt anyone but Numberdummy knows that. Anyway, it is 9A603 in the illustration below, and you can pic out the part number from the second snippet. However, I don't know what exhaust manifolds are on that engine, so if they aren't the original truck ones then the shroud might be different.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:19 PM
thebigtruck
5th Wheeling
Man you've got all the answers. Haha. They are factory manifolds so I'll see about finding that part ahead of when I replace them to fix that aggravating exhaust leak down there. Thank you sir!

Old 03-25-2017, 09:23 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I don't know if they are available NOS, but out of a salvage they may be as bad as yours. Some of the guys on here have made replacements using sheet metal. Just search on here for things like "hot air manifold" or "heat stove" or somesuch.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:22 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,138 Likes on 1,818 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I don't know if they are available NOS, but out of a salvage they may be as bad as yours. Some of the guys on here have made replacements using sheet metal. Just search on here for things like "hot air manifold" or "heat stove" or some such.
Don't throw away what you have just yet.
The hard part to make is the part the hose hooks to. If you were to remove the rest and take that curved part you could then bend sheet metal and drill holes to hold it put that hose piece on the sheet metal and be back in buss.
Dave ----

Old 03-26-2017, 08:27 PM
thebigtruck
5th Wheeling
Thanks for the suggestion. I rarely throw stuff away until my wife makes me when it's things like this...you just gave me a better excuse!

Old 03-27-2017, 03:16 PM
thebigtruck
5th Wheeling
Anyone ever used a dash cover on a beat up dash pad for these trucks? Mine is pretty ratty (cracks, speaker part is pretty much a speaker hole at this point) and as I was sitting in the office on the phone today I looked at the old google machine and found this:

https://www.carid.com/1984-ford-f-15...-53339013.html

Got me to thinking about it, and for a short-term fix, that's a lot cheaper than the $300+ option from LMC truck that's supposed to be a new dash pad. LMC also has a dash cover like the above link, and the price is within $20 of the linked one, the picture just isn't as good online.

Thoughts/opinions/prayers/advice welcome.

Just wondering my way through this deal, hoping not to wander into something I need to stay away from.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:49 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Yes, I had one on Rusty and have one to be put on Big Blue. Here's the one on Rusty:

Old 03-27-2017, 05:51 PM
thebigtruck
5th Wheeling
Cool. Thanks! I'll put that on my list.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:08 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
They are a huge improvement over a cracked dash. And, unlike Rusty's, if you put one on that's the same color as the dash pad you probably won't even notice it.

Now for a suggestion of how to put it on: Carefully.

Seriously, the first time I put it on Rusty I did so while the pad was on the truck. That didn't work well and the cover wasn't down evenly. So, the next time I took the dash pad off and glued it down carefully using their glue. However, even with all that it didn't stay down evenly.

So, next time I'm going to pull the dash pad and glue it on with 3M spray adhesive.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:07 PM
thebigtruck
5th Wheeling
Good deal. Thanks for the tip! That and a headliner removal will go very far with the Mrs. wanting to ride in it.

Quick Reply: Just got my birthday present