1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Died while driving, possible fuel issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 06:15 AM
Oldanvilyoungsmith
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Died while driving, possible fuel issue?

Well, I was headed out from work this morning, on my way to fill up as I was a bit below 1/4 tank.

Truck was running good, like normal, until after 5-6 minutes, when it started running rough and had no power. Worried, I pulled off the side of the road. As I did so, it died, and wouldn't start again.

I whipped out my phone, pulled up TorquePro, and ran a code check. Nada. Well, it sounds to me like it's not getting fuel possibly, so I figure the best way to check, is to drain the fuel filter bowl, and crank it some, and check the bowl. No fuel in bowl.

Wifey came to pick me up with the can of diesel I keep for starting my forge (had 3 gal maybe?). Poured it in the tank, cranked it, no start. Still nothing in the bowl.
I'm taking her to work now, so she won't be late, then I'm headed back with a full can of diesel.

If that full can still won't get it, should I keep shuttling diesel cans, or should 8 gal or so be enough to get it back to the fuel pickup level? And if it's not fuel level, what else should I start checking on the side of the road?

​​

Old 03-03-2017, 06:42 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
do you hear fuel pump running? First thought is foot is broken off pick up in tank but 8 gallons should eliminate that

Old 03-03-2017, 06:54 AM
Oldanvilyoungsmith
Senior User
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
do you hear fuel pump running? First thought is foot is broken off pick up in tank but 8 gallons should eliminate that
I honestly don't know.
I don't know what the fuel pump sound like while cranking the truck, but at this point I've only put two to three gallons in tank I'm headed back now with a full can to put in another five.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:00 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldanvilyoungsmith
I honestly don't know.
I don't know what the fuel pump sound like while cranking the truck, but at this point I've only put two to three gallons in tank I'm headed back now with a full can to put in another five.
If it just ran out it shouldn't take a lot to get the level back up to a broken foot. When you first turn the key on without starting the engine there are two things that make noise. One is the vacuum pump on the passenger's side fender and it shouldn't run once the truck is up and running. The other is the fuel pump under the driver's seat inside the frame. It runs for about 20 seconds every time you turn the key on. Did you check your fuel filter?

Old 03-03-2017, 07:21 AM
Oldanvilyoungsmith
Senior User
Okay, when I put in the next 5 gal I'll listen for the fuel pump. This would have been faster but I had to take my wife to work so I could have her Jeep, lol.

I did empty the fuel filter bowl, and cranked it some, then checked again, and it was still empty. My finger are crossed that it is just low on fuel, and not getting to the pickup. I'll find out soon.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:41 AM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine did that, turned out to be the CPS

Old 03-03-2017, 07:42 AM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru

I did empty the fuel filter bowl, and cranked it some, then checked again, and it was still empty. My finger are crossed that it is just low on fuel, and not getting to the pickup. I'll find out soon.
Fuel pump is electric, rather than crank it just turn the key on and let it run for 30 sec or so. No need to crank.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:00 AM
Oldanvilyoungsmith
Senior User
Originally Posted by Oldguyfl
Fuel pump is electric, rather than crank it just turn the key on and let it run for 30 sec or so. No need to crank.
​​​​​​
Yeah, I guess that's true, lol. I'm still kind of used to my older trucks apparently, didn't even think about that. 2000 is new for me, lol.

So, 5 more gallons in, and nothing. Don't hear a pump either? Just talked to the diesel guy at my shop, he said it's probably fuel pump.

Now to decide if I wanna tow it, or do the fuel pump swap on the side of the road?...

Ugh.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:01 AM
Oldanvilyoungsmith
Senior User
Doesn't help either that I need to go to bed, lol. I've been up since 3 pm yesterday. I work nights, and I should be in bed right now, lol.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:02 AM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
​​​​​​
Yeah, I guess that's true, lol. I'm still kind of used to my older trucks apparently, didn't even think about that. 2000 is new for me, lol.

So, 5 more gallons in, and nothing. Don't hear a pump either? Just talked to the diesel guy at my shop, he said it's probably fuel pump.

Now to decide if I wanna tow it, or do the fuel pump swap on the side of the road?...

Ugh.
If there is fuel in the bowl and its full, pump wont come on if it pressurized. Try draining fuel from the bowl for a sec and try it again

Old 03-03-2017, 08:03 AM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Never mind, bowl was empty you said

Old 03-03-2017, 08:04 AM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
check electrical?

Old 03-03-2017, 08:12 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
If there is fuel in the bowl and its full, pump wont come on if it pressurized. Try draining fuel from the bowl for a sec and try it again
I dunno, I can flip my key off and right back on and my pump runs for another 20 seconds, every time.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:18 AM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
I dunno, I can flip my key off and right back on and my pump runs for another 20 seconds, every time.
Then your pump, electrically is working. Do you have fuel in the bowl?

If so then the pump IS working. I would then look elsewhere, first with the CPS.

You would need a new CPS and a 10mm wrench. From underneath, on the block on pass side by waterpump. One connector only

Old 03-03-2017, 08:25 AM
Oldanvilyoungsmith
Senior User
Then your pump, electrically is working. Do you have fuel in the bowl?

If so then the pump IS working. I would then look elsewhere, first with the CPS.

You would need a new CPS and a 10mm wrench. From underneath, on the block on pass side by waterpump. One connector only

My fuel bowl is empty, and remains empty with key on or cranking. I decided to go ahead call a tow truck, and I'll have it taken to the house to figure it out tomorrow and Sunday, cuz I have to sleep sometime today, so I can go to work tonight, lol.

I'm fairly certain it's the pump at this point. No fuel is coming into the bowl at all, and I know there's about 8 gals of fuel now added, so the level is high enough to be reaching the pickup.

Quick Reply: Died while driving, possible fuel issue?