2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Trailer pulling

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 11:27 PM
2BSDowner
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer pulling

I am new to pulling trailers at least anything that I would need a SD for. So excuse my ignorance…

In towing there are 3 basic problems, correct?

Over loading the trailer
Having too much tongue weight
Having too little tongue weight

Have I missed any?

I know they are all bad but which is the worst case?

I got to thinking about this because of the recent Weigh Safe Hitch posts. How does the WSH help? Don’t get me wrong I think the WSH is a very intriguing product. As far as I can see in order to effectively use the WSH I have to know the weight of the trailer as loaded. Then I can confirm the tongue weight percentage.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:44 PM
theboom
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 2BSDowner
I am new to pulling trailers at least anything that I would need a SD for. So excuse my ignorance…

Over loading the trailer
Having too little tongue weight

Have I missed any?

I got to thinking about this because of the recent Weigh Safe Hitch posts. How does the WSH help? Don’t get me wrong I think the WSH is a very intriguing product. As far as I can see in order to effectively use the WSH I have to know the weight of the trailer as loaded. Then I can confirm the tongue weight percentage.
The weigh safe hitch just shows you how much weight is on the tongue of the trailer. Then yes if you know the weight of the trailer, its simple math and reading what the hitch says to get the right percentage. Really cool hitch.

Yes you have got it down pretty much. In addition to your 3 listed, I would add your payload rating, gcwr, and max towing. Make sure you don't exceed any of them. Some people may say different but if I had to pick the worse one it would be not enough tongue weight. Can cause MAJOR stability issues.

I see in your sig that you are getting a f450. Your not going to have to worry THAT much about it. You still need to pay attention to it and make sure you don't go over it but that's going to be hard with a f450 unless your really try. Its just such a beast of a truck. First diesel, first 4x4, first dually? You will fall IN LOVE with it. You picked a hell of a truck to be your first everything. Nice decision

Old 02-28-2017, 07:22 AM
K A M
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
All three are important

Old 02-28-2017, 08:30 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,649 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Over loading the trailer
Have too little tongue weight

Have I missed any?

^^^^^^ THIS is the worst case scenario!!!!! All others that you listed will not affect handling like too little tongue weight!!!!
Too little tongue weight WILL induce sway just by itself, with no other input!!!!
I.E. it will start swaying all by itself, even if you have no wind, perfectly smooth, perfetly straight road, no passing semi's!!!!

Old 02-28-2017, 08:44 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Lightbulb

I strongly recommend a thorough read of Ford's 2017 RV and Trailer Towing Guide.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old 02-28-2017, 12:08 PM
bikerman5345
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, just because your getting a big dually dont let your guard down while loading and driving. I was driving back from illinois this past weekend and saw a dually on the side of the interstate on its side with a smaller travel trailer behind it destroyed. it was maybe a 20ft trailer. Complacency is the worst mindset.