1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4R100 mechanical diode fun

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 07:12 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
3rd and now 4th oil change which marks 20k miles since rebuild!

Old 02-11-2018, 08:51 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Looks great! Nice and dry.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:57 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Thats the way I like it!

It still amazes me that I was able to rebuild an auto trans after all these years of being scared of them, and it works! lol

Knocking on wood right now.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:59 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
A thing to note in the pic too, the Nicopp brake line that is green. These lines have been working great!

I only had to replace one so far because it wasn't supported well enough and fatigue cracked at a fitting.

I was replacing the steel lines every two years before this.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:58 PM
WoodenWatch
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this thread is a little old, but it is, by far, the best one I have run across so far. My '01 PSD has also fallen to the fate of the diode and I am about to begin a rebuild. I would like some input on clutch material. First, this truck is not a mudder or a hot rod, it is a 2WD CC which serves mostly as a part-time commuter and haul truck. I usually haul up to 6,000 lbs but will occasionally get up to 10,000. I want to build a DURABLE transmission which shifts well and will last at least as long as the original, which was a little over 200,000. I seem to be stuck on friction material. Would the Borg-Warner brown clutches be plenty good enough for this application? Or, is it worth a few extra bucks for the Alto reds? I have read a bunch about both, but can't seem to find any real world facts as to why one would be chosen over the other.

mueckster and Snowseeker - Thanks to both of you for sharing your knowledge and experience. I have learned a great deal from reading ALL of the above.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:31 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Hello WoodenWatch, welcome to the forum!

I personally just went with the stockers because they do last. I didn't see any reason at least for me to upgrade them if they are good for 200K+. I worry about aftermarket stuff because typically they aren't tested as much as factory used parts and they seem to have more random failures than factory parts. But don't get me wrong, there are A LOT of great aftermarket parts out there.

I just finished another oil change on this truck. 25K on the trans!

It is funny because every week I drive down the same road the mechanical diode let go on. Every time I leave that stop sign and start heading up the hill I wait for that shift where one time bad things happened. After it shifts and continues on I smile.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:26 AM
WoodenWatch
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snowseeker - Thanks for the welcome and the information. I'm leaning towards the Borg-Warners but haven't completely made up my mind. I agree about the aftermarket parts so I am trying to locate as many new old stock Ford parts as I can. I have found it can be difficult to find out the country of origin for some of the new parts. The Chinese have the ability to produce an excellent product, if the purchaser is willing to pay enough for a better part. Problem is, there is no way for us to know, without trying the part, whether or not it is any good.

I can relate to your story about the part failure. In a different circumstance, several years ago, our roof was leaking. Insurance wouldn't pay for a replacement because the adjuster said "that's a good roof". I patched what I could but dreaded when it rained because it always seemed to develop a new leak. A big hail storm finally did it in and insurance paid to have a new one put on. However, every time it rains, I get a sick feeling in my stomach. Then, I realize I DO have a good roof now and the feeling goes away. I feel like Pavlov's dog...

Old 05-25-2018, 07:23 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Yes it is hard to weed out the good from the bad. I found pretty much everything for my trans on ebay. I looked for awhile to find the right borg clutches with the correct writing on them. I was surprised how cheap they were to purchase.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:58 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Another oil change coming up in the next few hundred miles. 30 or 35K on the trans now!

Old 10-30-2018, 08:10 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Around 1K till the next oil change. Split a sidewall today on a tire. New tire mounted and ready to install tomorrow and send on the road again.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:57 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Oil change! 40K on the trans now!

Old 05-03-2019, 08:06 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Around 1K till the next oil change. Split a sidewall today on a tire. New tire mounted and ready to install tomorrow and send on the road again.

Split the sidewall on the other rear tire the other day, not even loaded. Losing faith in firestones now too.

Another oil change too btw, 45K on the trans rebuild!

Old 05-03-2019, 10:06 AM
geekwithoutacause
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow. Not even that old. I would contact firestone. That shouldn't happen.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:38 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Great work on the transmission - congrats! The Firestone is rotted in less than 4 years?

Old 05-04-2019, 07:45 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Sent an email to firestone to get the ball rolling. We'll see what they say.

Years ago we went threw a rash of junk goodyear tires. Had something like 11 tires fail out of the 12 that were on our trucks. We will never ever use a goodyear tire again. Now we have two trucks with firestones and this is the second failure within a year. Losing faith in them too.

The firestones I had on my excursion rotted right out. I am running Generals on it now. I mean, if tires are gonna rot and fall apart within a few years may as well get the cheap ones.

Quick Reply: 4R100 mechanical diode fun