1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

C4, C6 or T5 transmission on a 223???

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 04:08 PM
Kecky
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of an adapter to mate C4, C6 etc. on the 6 cylinder 223? As gas prices continue to rise and in an effort to reduce fabrication of the many things related to a V8 engine install, I would like to try and put an auto or 5 speed tranny on my original engine? I found transdapt on the web and have a query into them. Just thought I would pose this to all here before I go looking for another engine tranny combo. I would like to get rid of the 3 speed and put a better geared rear in.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin

Old 08-29-2003, 05:34 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts

If you want mileage and hiway efficiency, go with a 5 spd manual like a T5 out of a mid-80's S10 (shifter is in the right location - mustang T5 shifter will stick thru your seat) Rear gears should be in the neighborhood of 3.50's

C4 with 3.0 to 2.75 rear gears would be OK. It uses around 25 horses to get going in low.

I can't say about the C5, but the C6 is made for high HP engines and requires up to 65 horses just to get the wheels moving. I don't think your 223 could pull it along and make you happy unless you've got a bunch of aftermarket stuff on that 6.

Transdapt, Speedway and there's one in Oregon (if I come up with the name I'll post it) that might be able to fix you up.

Old 09-15-2003, 10:23 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mtflat

You partially answered that question.
How does one go about Mating a C-4 Trans to a I-6 223 Black?

Please use my e-mail for contacting me, I don't get here very often.

Thank'ee
Colonel Flashman
col_flashman at earthlink.net

Old 09-16-2003, 01:53 PM
Christyle
New User

I am also very interested in doing this, my 55mph 3sp sucks, lol the 2nd guy mentioned an s-10 trans. will this bolt up? And what mods do you need to do?

Old 09-16-2003, 08:13 PM
bhabben
Senior User

Kevin,
My '59 has the 223 w/3spd combo so I know where you're coming from. The 223 has the same bolt pattern as the Y-block V8's, so look for adapters for a Y-block. The S10 5 spd setup is ideal. It uses a redrilled T98 4spd bellhousing.
This is just my opinion, but as short on horsepower my 223 is in my truck, I wouldn't waste a single pony on turning an auto tranny.
Holler if you want more specifics.
Adios,
Brett
'59 F100 223 3spd.

Old 09-16-2003, 11:07 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts

Thanks for jumping in here Brett. I have a 223 in a '62 unibody but I've never physically made the change - just knew it was possible.

Old 09-17-2003, 10:38 PM
bhabben
Senior User

Folks,
Did any of you save the Badgerland F100 T5 conversion Web Page. Like an idiot I just saved the link. Of course they deleted the Web Page. All I have is mental notes.
If anyone save the info it would sure help a lot of folks with the conversion.
Thanks,
Brett

Old 09-17-2003, 11:57 PM
angus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It'd be easier (and cheaper) to install a 4 speed and a taller rear end. Unless you can track down a Clark 251VO overdrive tranny; those appear to work with the 4 speed bellhousing, and were an option on some of the larger tracks.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...5252Boverdrive

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...5252Boverdrive

Or just go for the V8 with an OD of some sort. There's bolt-in motor and transmission mounts available from TransDapt.

Old 09-18-2003, 03:28 PM
Kecky
Mountain Pass

Brett et al. thanks for the replies. Originally I was just trying to keep the engine and make driveability better by going to an auto trans. I know pretty much anything can be done with enough work/fabrication (translation: $$$$).

With the lack of support for this engine and cost to upgrade performance/rebuild, I am seriously looking at moving up to a 351W and auto trans. With motor and trans mounts readily available, this seems to be the easier approach. More horsepower, supply of parts/power items etc. with the later model engines.

This question was something that occurred to me while spending way too much time contemplating the best approach to rebuilding/customizing/restoring my truck. As mentioned in another thread, I think about my truck about 50:1 compared to actual work performed on it. Actually, that's probably a conservative estimate!!

Thanks again for all the replies.

Kevin

Old 09-18-2003, 04:10 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster

Kecky

Actually your Best bet for an Up Grade is the 300 c.i. I-6 w/ a C-6. Yu can go anywhere & find parts for it & it will totally blow the doors off an 8.

Stick a 240 c.i. head on it for higher compression ratio, do the intake & exhaust manifold thing w/ a Dual or a Tri Pack & a Header.

Father built race motors w/ the 300 I-6 & got 500 h.p. out of them on a Regular basis.

Originally posted by Kecky
Brett et al. thanks for the replies. Originally I was just trying to keep the engine and make driveability better by going to an auto trans. I know pretty much anything can be done with enough work/fabrication (translation: $$$$).

With the lack of support for this engine and cost to upgrade performance/rebuild, I am seriously looking at moving up to a 351W and auto trans. With motor and trans mounts readily available, this seems to be the easier approach. More horsepower, supply of parts/power items etc. with the later model engines.

This question was something that occurred to me while spending way too much time contemplating the best approach to rebuilding/customizing/restoring my truck. As mentioned in another thread, I think about my truck about 50:1 compared to actual work performed on it. Actually, that's probably a conservative estimate!!

Thanks again for all the replies.

Kevin

Old 09-18-2003, 11:23 PM
Christyle
New User

Hope you dont have a mustang II front end. No one makes motor mounts for a 351W in a ford truck with an X -member. thay all make them for a 350 though... I have been going thru this and called everyone I can find in my classic trucks Mags.. Make your own mounts and if you decide to do this and need help let me know thanks Chris

With the lack of support for this engine and cost to upgrade performance/rebuild, I am seriously looking at moving up to a 351w and auto trans. With motor and trans mounts readily available, this seems to be the easier approach. More horsepower, supply of parts/power items etc. with the later model engines.

Old 09-19-2003, 12:15 PM
Kecky
Mountain Pass

Chris, I have the original straight axle. I am putting in a Toyota steering box, so there are plenty of places that offer engine and trans mounts for this setup.

I do not know of any company that offers mounts for the Ford engines that will work when you have Mustang etc. either. As the IFS crossmember is usually located in the same portion of the frame that the available engine mounts would fit, you end up having to fabricate your own mounts. Also, guys usually end up moving the engine slightly from stock location to account for clearance with firewall, steering and headers etc., so too many factors for companies to account for in an off the shelf mount.

Thanks

Kevin

Old 08-03-2013, 12:14 AM
mcali2
Posting Guru
I have a 59 f100 and i need a trans. I have a 302 engine now, You say the s-10 is best for this? Will it handle the power of the v8? I read to use part of the s10 t5 for the shifter and use the other part from a mustang t5 for more HP. Is this correct?

Originally Posted by bhabben
Kevin,
My '59 has the 223 w/3spd combo so I know where you're coming from. The 223 has the same bolt pattern as the Y-block V8's, so look for adapters for a Y-block. The S10 5 spd setup is ideal. It uses a redrilled T98 4spd bellhousing.
This is just my opinion, but as short on horsepower my 223 is in my truck, I wouldn't waste a single pony on turning an auto tranny.
Holler if you want more specifics.
Adios,
Brett
'59 F100 223 3spd.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:34 AM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
1964 was the First year that the C-4 came out & was also mated to the 223c.i. I6. So there shouldn't be any problems w/ finding mounts that work properly, nor having to move the Engine/Trans anywhere.

Originally Posted by Kecky
Chris, I have the original straight axle. I am putting in a Toyota steering box, so there are plenty of places that offer engine and trans mounts for this setup.

I do not know of any company that offers mounts for the Ford engines that will work when you have Mustang etc. either. As the IFS crossmember is usually located in the same portion of the frame that the available engine mounts would fit, you end up having to fabricate your own mounts. Also, guys usually end up moving the engine slightly from stock location to account for clearance with firewall, steering and headers etc., so too many factors for companies to account for in an off the shelf mount.

Thanks

Kevin

Old 08-03-2013, 05:56 AM
1948 F1dude
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was considering using an automatic with my 223 swap. I found that the '64 had the setup. I also heard after talking with several transmission shops in my area that the bell housing is very rare. I found this web site that has a adapter for a AOD, but they did not list the price and that scared me off (low budget) I am going with a 3 speed but some day maybe get an auto.
http://www.transmissionadapters.com/index.htm

Quick Reply: C4, C6 or T5 transmission on a 223???