2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Hope those Chevy boy's don't forget to drain their hood!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 01:46 AM
KYLongRifle
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Hope those Chevy boy's don't forget to drain their hood!

I thought I read somewhere that the new L5P Duramax use the hood scoop for passive cooling. To keep that new beast of an engine running cooler. But watching a video of "The Fast Lane Now" I realised that the hood scoop is actually an active water separator and works more as a RAM air intake. It appears that the water separator will just leak down out of the drain plug, but is kinda funny as they may seriously have to think about draining that thing if it ever gets clogged.

Whats everyones thought on longevity of this design? Seems like a car wash or well timed water splash would almost dump water straight into the intake filter.

Link to Chevy's press release relating to the hood scope from Jun 2016.
All-new Intake System Feeds Duramax Diesel on 2017 Silverado HD

Old 02-22-2017, 05:38 AM
lifelineamb
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The power stroke powered Transits have the same type of drain for the hood vent, so Ford is no stranger to this idea.
My OBS F250 has that coiled hood spring.....very old school.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:24 AM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Yeah, I am a little leery of this system. I knew it was a ram air setup and read that it had a water seperator, but didn't know it had to be manually drained.
I wonder how much testing they did on that. I foresee issues honestly.
The other thing I would hate if I were a GM guy, would be the hard headedness of GM to STILL be putting that DEF tank where they are. It is a serious eye sore and it's in danger of getting damaged every time the truck is driven off pavement.
I'm glad Ford is doing the things they are doing, I know Ford does things that annoy us at times, but they listen to us more than GM does.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:49 AM
bronc71
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Ace of Spades
Yeah, I am a little leery of this system. I knew it was a ram air setup and read that it had a water seperator, but didn't know it had to be manually drained.
I wonder how much testing they did on that. I foresee issues honestly.
The other thing I would hate if I were a GM guy, would be the hard headedness of GM to STILL be putting that DEF tank where they are. It is a serious eye sore and it's in danger of getting damaged every time the truck is driven off pavement.
I'm glad Ford is doing the things they are doing, I know Ford does things that annoy us at times, but they listen to us more than GM does.
It does not need to be manually drained once it has a little bit of water in the tube there's a split in the bottom that opens up with the weight of the water and drains the water. My 2012 Polaris rzr 900xp has the same setup on the intake and it works prefect.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:10 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
I think my only concern would be dirt clogging up the drain.

One might have to occasionally clean it, so I wonder if the hood scoop could be removed to clean behind it?

Old 02-22-2017, 09:51 AM
Navydocsuperduty
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
That "ram air" gives it the extra 5hp over our Fords...Still has less torque!

Old 02-22-2017, 10:19 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Aren't the engines rated on a dyno in a control booth? All the manufacturers ratings are optimal engine-on-stand numbers and don't account for in vehicle driveline losses. Any benefit that the ram air actually provides couldn't have shown up in the 445 HP number.

​​​​

Old 02-22-2017, 11:07 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Navydocsuperduty
That "ram air" gives it the extra 5hp over our Fords...Still has less torque!
Guys, this hood scoop is not a "ram air" setup. These are turbocharged engines, so the air pressure will be whatever boost the turbo is providing.

The under-hood photos are interesting. The air coming in from the hood scoop has to make a hard left turn over to the passenger side of the truck and down into the air box. So at least two 90-degree turns. The bulk of the air is still drawn from inside the fender. GM claims they can get cooler air from the top of the hood. There is a piece of reflective tape positioned directly under the air intake, but there is a lot of engine heat radiating upwards and heating the air passageway. GM truck's don't have as effective of a CAC as the Ford's water-cooled setup in hot conditions, so they need the intake air to be as cool as possible. But mostly, I'd say this is a gimmick to advertise the new engine. I'm sure it has been thoroughly tested.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:10 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Aren't the engines rated on a dyno in a control booth? All the manufacturers ratings are optimal engine-on-stand numbers and don't account for in vehicle driveline losses. Any benefit that the ram air actually provides couldn't have shown up in the 445 HP number.

​​​​
You can bet that engine makes the same rating with the hood up, down, and vehicle stationary or moving. The manufacturers are the ones that rate their engines, and some are SAE certified or could be randomly tested by someone looking to sue. There is no ram air effect on a forced induction engine anyway, but GM has stated themselves the purpose is to 'maintain' engine output during hot conditions under heavy load...not increase power.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:21 AM
Navydocsuperduty
Senior User
LOL, I was being sarcastic guys I know about engine dynos as well as chassis dynos

Old 02-22-2017, 01:03 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Navydocsuperduty
LOL, I was being sarcastic guys I know about engine dynos as well as chassis dynos
Well you should use the sarcasm font then...

Old 02-22-2017, 07:00 PM
Navydocsuperduty
Senior User
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Well you should use the sarcasm font then...
My bust..

Old 02-22-2017, 08:15 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
The hood scoop is not intended to increase HP but to sustain peak HP for a longer duration. Can one say "Davis Dam" test!

Old 02-22-2017, 11:36 PM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Received 385 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
The hood scoop is not intended to increase HP but to sustain peak HP for a longer duration. Can one say "Davis Dam" test!
Yup. Helps to keep those temps in check so the engine doesn't start pulling power.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:11 AM
KYLongRifle
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
...The bulk of the air is still drawn from inside the fender. GM claims they can get cooler air from the top of the hood. There is a piece of reflective tape positioned directly under the air intake, but there is a lot of engine heat radiating upwards and heating the air passageway.....
The Chevy press release says that 60% of the intakes air is pulled through the hood scoop and 40% from the fenders. I feel like that is enough air flow volume to create some suction (vacuum) for that hood section and water separator. That plus all the bugs, dust, and debris that would get scooped into the hood I'm surprised that this design would even be efficient. And would likely get clogged all the time, which may not allow the water to even drain properly. Wonder if there is a small screen somewhere, similar to the lint screen on the dryers we have at home, that could be used to capture all the big stuff pre water separator?

Troverman, you did mention a very interesting point, with all those twist and turns in the hoods air channel, I'm surprised to see Chevy claiming this as helping to provide COLD air intake. They have a lot of heat shield/insulation material between the engine and hood, but what about the internals, between intake passes and the hot sun baking down the all that steel?

Quick Reply: Hope those Chevy boy's don't forget to drain their hood!