2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Adding Aux Switches

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 10:25 PM
Super-Truck
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adding Aux Switches

I cant believe i forgot this!! Just realized i dont have aux switches on my KR Ultimate. How hard is it to add them? Dont want to have to drop the headliner.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:04 PM
silver_pilate
Tuned
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
I don't think it can be done as the wiring isn't there if it wasn't on the build order at the factory. Ford even says the factory upfitter switches cannot be added by a dealer later on. You will have to end up going some sort of aftermarket way if you need the aux swtiches, making sure everything is fused and relayed.

--Nathan

Old 02-22-2017, 08:06 AM
maypo59
Tuned
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Yeah, that was my understanding too.. have to be installed when built. There is a whole lot of harness involved..

Old 02-22-2017, 09:03 AM
JohnnyMarauder
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was the ONE THING I missied when I ordered my Lariat Ultimate. I was reading online how the previous gen had a kit you could buy to add them if you didn't have it. I'm hoping Ford creates the kit for people like me that forgot them.

Honestly, I don't know what I'd use them for, but I'm sure something will come up in the next 10 years.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:13 AM
MagicMtnDan
Laughing Gas
Received 140 Likes on 86 Posts
I'm not going to order a truck just to get the Upfitter Switches so if the one I end up buying doesn't have them I'll just use an sPOD - a great product made in the USA
4x4 SPOD Since 2005 - The ORIGINAL JEEP Over The Windshield Switch Console - Jeep Power Distribution System

The Upfitter Switches are really nice to have (had them in my 2010 Ford Raptor which is where I think they were first introduced).

Old 02-22-2017, 10:42 AM
Txcatlbyer
New User
Ordered them on mine and for some reason ford dropped them.... aggravating they blame dealer but I have the order confirmation showing them on it.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:48 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Anything is possible with money, but make no mistake...it is way harder to add the upfitters on this truck than the previous generation. I added upfitters on one of my 2016 diesel trucks. Basically it took less than 1 hour to do and involved a $150 part ordered online, the removal of a cheesy plastic coin tray, and the snapping in of the switch module and plugging in a harness.

The new design would require a new roof console, the entire harness, removing the headliner and pillar trim, and however it connects under the dash.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:23 AM
Super-Truck
Senior User
Originally Posted by troverman
Anything is possible with money, but make no mistake...it is way harder to add the upfitters on this truck than the previous generation. I added upfitters on one of my 2016 diesel trucks. Basically it took less than 1 hour to do and involved a $150 part ordered online, the removal of a cheesy plastic coin tray, and the snapping in of the switch module and plugging in a harness.

The new design would require a new roof console, the entire harness, removing the headliner and pillar trim, and however it connects under the dash.
Thanks, was waiting on your reply. Ive never hooked anything up on any of my other trucks so would probably never use them, but was looking forward to them. Didnt know it was an option. Not going to waste money on it now. Although it does have me a bit irritated this morning.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:26 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Super-Truck
Thanks, was waiting on your reply. Ive never hooked anything up on any of my other trucks so would probably never use them, but was looking forward to them. Didnt know it was an option. Not going to waste money on it now. Although it does have me a bit irritated this morning.
I'll probably wire one of them up to the high idle function, but otherwise won't use them. The biggest benefit of them is that they look cool. Why some people need 6 in a pickup truck is beyond me.

But don't feel like it is impossible. Just because Ford doesn't offer a "kit" anymore doesn't mean it can't be done. I pretty much converted my 2012 XLT truck into a Lariat truck, and there was no Ford kit for that either, lol.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:39 AM
REPO.
Senior User
Originally Posted by troverman
I'll probably wire one of them up to the high idle function

How do you do this?

Old 02-22-2017, 12:52 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by REPO.
How do you do this?
In the past, it involved wiring a resistor between the switch and one of the blunt-cut wires under the dash. It is a little different on the 2017; believe someone just wrote a thread about this. I've always done it to my previous trucks...nice for winter idling. Some people use it in the summer for better A/C performance.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:58 PM
REPO.
Senior User
IF you manage to get it done, please post how you did it!

Old 02-22-2017, 07:01 PM
klassic
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by REPO.
IF you manage to get it done, please post how you did it!
You don't have to wait.

Here
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q-256.pdf

And here
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-switch-2.html

Old 02-22-2017, 09:11 PM
Super-Truck
Senior User
I believe he was referring to me installing the aux switches.

Thanks for turning my thread of how i forgot my aux switches into the cool things i could have done with them.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:59 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Super-Truck
I believe he was referring to me installing the aux switches.

Thanks for turning my thread of how i forgot my aux switches into the cool things i could have done with them.
My truck actually does have the aux switches, I was just talking about wiring the high idle to it. I have no idea how tough it would be; just harder than the previous generation, and certainly more $$.

Quick Reply: Adding Aux Switches