1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying a 6.7, Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 08:53 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well 260k I dont see that truck going anywhere under 15k just if you look at the amount of 6.7's that are in the auction and the mileage and you look at some of the previous Edmonton auctions.

Most fleet or company's are usually getting out of the trucks around or just over the 200k mark just due to the truck being out of warranty but lord knows you can always watch it online and see where the bidding goes, if it is something price wise you can live with then you can make a bid if it's too rich for your blood then you pass and wait for the next one.

You can also look at Osman and Michener's upcoming auctions. Michener will have a good selection but lots of brokers, dealers, and wholesalers to compete with, mind you they usually never want to pay more than they have to but you also have the public in the mix too. Osman isnt bad but you get the same thing as Michener but the selection of 6.7's isnt as great unless they have a few going thru the sale

Lot's of 6.2 in Ritchie's edmonton auction this round, looks like quite a few from the coal mine's in B.C. are coming thru... 'm not sure whether that is the mine itself selling or if it is one of the wholesalers that bought them and just flipping them, wholesaler out of Calgary does that with a lot of the mine trucks thru Richie bros Edm auction.

You'll have to let us know how you make out

Old 02-27-2017, 11:36 PM
Green Power
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocketlint
Well 260k I dont see that truck going anywhere under 15k just if you look at the amount of 6.7's that are in the auction and the mileage and you look at some of the previous Edmonton auctions.

Most fleet or company's are usually getting out of the trucks around or just over the 200k mark just due to the truck being out of warranty but lord knows you can always watch it online and see where the bidding goes, if it is something price wise you can live with then you can make a bid if it's too rich for your blood then you pass and wait for the next one.
Is that 15K U.S. dollars? If it goes for more than $15k, I won't be buying. Based on buying our 6.4 last summer, I am guessing the 6.7 will go for about 11k. Only a few 6.2's on this auction, and i thought they all looked pretty rough!!! If it goes for too much, I may buy another 5.0 F-150 (depending on price) or else just drive my Dads Ecobust till summertime, and go to the next rbauction, or else a auto auction. I love buying at wholesale prices!!!
https://www.rbauction.com/2013-FORD-...VER-CO-2017158
Was looking at that 5.0 if the 6.7 sells for too much, but this could be out of budget too! And I see it does have a c.e.l. But I'm not as concerned about it on a gasser.

I was looking at this 6.7 but the c.e.l. Is spooking me! I do have a damage free bumper for it already though... https://www.rbauction.com/2012-FORD-...VER-CO-2017158

6.2 on the auction, but way too rough for my liking...
https://www.rbauction.com/2011-FORD-...VER-CO-2017158

This may sound weird, but I would rather have a 5.0 F-150 than a 6.2 2/350.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:43 PM
Green Power
Elder User
All the other 2/350's I've posted in the last post don't appear to of had the care of this Lariat!

Old 02-28-2017, 02:44 AM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Green Power
Is that 15K U.S. dollars? If it goes for more than $15k, I won't be buying. Based on buying our 6.4 last summer, I am guessing the 6.7 will go for about 11k. Only a few 6.2's on this auction, and i thought they all looked pretty rough!!! If it goes for too much, I may buy another 5.0 F-150 (depending on price) or else just drive my Dads Ecobust till summertime, and go to the next rbauction, or else a auto auction. I love buying at wholesale prices!!!
https://www.rbauction.com/2013-FORD-...VER-CO-2017158
Was looking at that 5.0 if the 6.7 sells for too much, but this could be out of budget too! And I see it does have a c.e.l. But I'm not as concerned about it on a gasser.

I was looking at this 6.7 but the c.e.l. Is spooking me! I do have a damage free bumper for it already though... https://www.rbauction.com/2012-FORD-...VER-CO-2017158

6.2 on the auction, but way too rough for my liking...
https://www.rbauction.com/2011-FORD-...VER-CO-2017158

This may sound weird, but I would rather have a 5.0 F-150 than a 6.2 2/350.

No that was CAD not U.S. OOPs thought you were in the great white north, my bad. You seem to have a good idea on the market and what they are going for there so you will just have to see how it goes as the auction progresses

Nothing wrong with the F150 5.0's only real thing is when it comes to towing and the trucks capacity to tow safely. They are great on gas obviously different MPG is definitely going to be had the higher in class of vehicle you go.

We had some Chev Crew Cab 3500's with the 6.0 engine in them and man they were just brutal on gas, soon as it came to the warranty period coming close to expiring, off to the auction they went,

I swear some folks dont seem to realize that when they move up to a 3/4 or 1 ton from an F150 they dont think their fuel MPG will chance at all....lol. Think there are some folks that dont research a move to a higher class in truck before they go all in on one

Well a CEL will scare anyone but it depends on WHY the CEL is on? could be something minor or something major. You will have to look as it rolls to the line to see if it is anything obvious.

If you decide to take a chance and jump in the pool You;ll see once you get possession you can get the codes read and see what is going on, if you think it is a dog then you can try and re-sell it privately to recoup your cash or pop it into the next auction.

Any truck is a gamble gas and diesel, with diesel's there is a little more risk, but you seem to know that already with buys at the auction you have done previously

Old 02-28-2017, 08:29 AM
Green Power
Elder User
So 15k Canadian is $11,400 U.S. Dollars assuming that the exchange ratio is 1:.76c. I honestly have a hard time seeing it sell for more than $11,500 but we
I am in Western Nebraska, the Denver auction is about 160 miles from me.

If I wanted to drive around a gas 2/350 and get 12 mpg, I already have access to those. I would prefer to drive around my 5L F-150 with a RanchHand bumper on it, and get 18mpg.

Hopefully I'll be able to buy this pickup, and delete all the emissions right away, and be in the 20-22 MPG club, with no extra Def. although with more expensive tranny and engine oil changes, I am guessing it would be about same cost per mile.

Worst case scenario, I sell my F-150 (which I truly do love) and not get anything on this auction.

I'm not gonna go pay retail price on a vehicle, and get one that isn't as nice as what I already have.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:30 PM
Green Power
Elder User
Silver one sold for 12k
The Lariat sold for 15k, I'm glad I'd didn't sell my F-150!

Old 03-02-2017, 09:08 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts
If I wanted to drive around a gas 2/350 and get 12 mpg, I already have access to those. I would prefer to drive around my 5L F-150 with a RanchHand bumper on it, and get 18mpg.

Hopefully I'll be able to buy this pickup, and delete all the emissions right away, and be in the 20-22 MPG club, with no extra Def. although with more expensive tranny and engine oil changes, I am guessing it would be about same cost per mile.
As a long time licensed Ford dealer tech, who has previously owned a 2007 F-250 CCSB 4x4 6.0L Diesel four years, and now a current owner of 2016 F-250 CCSB 4x4 6.7L Diesel, I have to call BS on the statement highlighted in bold red. With the current truck which I've owned since new, I've only managed to best 12 to 13 MPGs in city driving. On the highway, I have managed a best of about 17 MPGs. Admittedly, I have a pretty heavy right foot. But even driving it like a 90 something year old granny, I highly doubt it will ever touch the 20 MPG mark.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:12 PM
Green Power
Elder User
Originally Posted by m-chan68
As a long time licensed Ford dealer tech, who has previously owned a 2007 F-250 CCSB 4x4 6.0L Diesel four years, and now a current owner of 2016 F-250 CCSB 4x4 6.7L Diesel, I have to call BS on the statement highlighted in bold red. With the current truck which I've owned since new, I've only managed to best 12 to 13 MPGs in city driving. On the highway, I have managed a best of about 17 MPGs. Admittedly, I have a pretty heavy right foot. But even driving it like a 90 something year old granny, I highly doubt it will ever touch the 20 MPG mark.
Is yours deleted?

Old 03-02-2017, 10:58 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Silver one sold for 12k
The Lariat sold for 15k, I'm glad I'd didn't sell my F-150!

Yeah I was watching the results as I was in the Edmonton auction. Man they were sure having the glitches today, first time I have seen that going on at their auctions, but it goes like that.

The truck market is up and down but it has been up for a while. There were a few that were sold today were I was saying to myself "what?? Are they nuts" lol Always a few that make you shake your head.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:16 AM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Is yours deleted?
NOPE. I special ordered my truck in July of 2015 to get into a 2016 model year.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:24 AM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Pocketlint
The truck market is up and down but it has been up for a while. There were a few that were sold today were I was saying to myself "what?? Are they nuts" lol Always a few that make you shake your head.
When I was crunching some numbers about the realistic possibility to get into the 2016 I currently own, pretty much most of the sales people told me the same things about these trucks in particular. Crew cab short box configurations are the ones in the highest demand, as are diesel equipped models. Consequently, on the used market trucks equipped as mentioned above seem to command the highest dollars. A gas engine equipped truck and/or non crew cab configuration body drops the dollar value dramatically. Glancing around on the used vehicle publications seem to confirm this.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:02 AM
Green Power
Elder User
There was a 2011 Lariat 350, with 176k, all sorts of warning lights on it, the interior looked like a living place for a bear, and it sold for $18,500!!! It is just ridiculous for you ask me.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:01 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 250 Likes on 177 Posts
I won't delve deeply into this.
But just wanted to add one comment, and it is this.
Company trucks are driven by a lot of people who don't own them and don't care how badly they mistreat them.
I would pay much more for a privately owned truck with the year and mileage being equal.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:45 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by sky Cowboy
I won't delve deeply into this.
But just wanted to add one comment, and it is this.
Company trucks are driven by a lot of people who don't own them and don't care how badly they mistreat them.
I would pay much more for a privately owned truck with the year and mileage being equal.
You have some valid points about the way some companies drivers treat the trucks, and you can tell from the looks to a point, unless they have been detailed.

I think a lot of people look at the outside and take a quick look under the hood.
I know when I am scoping vehicles at the auction I take my code reader, and my coveralls and a flashlight and crawl all over them up on the bumper to get a good look in the engine, then look over the interior, checking how well the drivers seat is worn, looking at the break and gas pedal, go under the truck and look from front to back and make sure to look up from underneath at the engine for leaks and have a look at the tie rods etc.

There is some risk with buying any used vehicles, some more than others. I have bought some good vehicles and a couple that while I did make a profit it wasnt anything to brag about...lol

We have a whack of trucks where I work and they are maintained pretty well by either the dealer or another shop we use. The trucks are GPS tracked so they know what goes on with the trucks especially how they are driven. If they get the hammered laid down on them you can bet the phone will rang telling the driver to pull over and of there is no service soon as there is boom phone call.

I share an office with the Technical Manager and the Service Manager, in our main office area we have a 50 inch flat screen mounted on the wall and on that screen we can see where the trucks are on a map. We can also see this on our computers. When a driver is over the speed limit by a certain number, the driver gets the call to pull over, we get a phone call what has occurred and we talk to the driver to see what is going on.

It is the same thing with if a driver does not get to the trip destination within the set travel time, then we can have a look and see what is going on. Anytime there is an accident with one of the company vehicles the driver has to go for a drug test, and it is not a choice it is mandatory under the companies safety program.

The company does it's best to keep the same guys using the same truck, this way they seem to take better care of them and they have a pretty good idea if something isnt right with the truck, now does it always go like that, no sometimes guys are away or trucks are in for service and someone else may drive them ( sales guys do that a lot ) but the drivers have to do a pre trip and post trip and after each one of those is done a manager has to double check and sign off that the pre and post trips were completed accurately

Believe me I have sen some vehicles that were fleet lease trucks and they look like **** in and out, and those ones I dont bother with because that is more risk than I want. Know one fella who buys coal mine trucks and they look beat to hell, but he can get them cheap and he just does cosmetic work and turns and flips them, he has got burned a couple times on ones where the engines were in need of replacement, but it goes like that but he still buys em and tiurns a good profit, from one auction right into another...lol

Old 03-03-2017, 06:18 PM
Green Power
Elder User
Pocket, that is a pretty neat tracking system you guys have. In your case, do drivers take pretty good care of vehicles as far as cleaning, checking fluids etc??? I just don't know how some people can let their vehicles get so trashed! There were 3 pretty bad 11+ pickups on this auction imo... It is really truly amazing.

If I worked for a company where I was provided with a decent work truck, I would take good care of it, including keeping it clean as the norm.

IMO, clean pickups always give a better representation for a business!

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a 6.7, Thoughts?