:-huh Darn it....!!! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

:-huh Darn it....!!!

Old 02-15-2017, 05:02 PM
New User

T Yudell is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cool :-huh Darn it....!!!

I messed up and put my power steering pulley on backward....was in a rush...wanted to know of a replacement part number or comparable one that will fit my power steering pump... single v-belt pulley for my 89' F-350 7.3 IDI...anyone?
Old 02-15-2017, 10:42 PM
Posting Guru

genscripter is starting off with a positive reputation.
hmmm. I haven't pulled my PS pulley in years, but I thought it was just slid on with a compression bolt ...

Can't you just pull it off and reinstall it again?
Old 02-15-2017, 10:43 PM
Posting Guru

You should do it now, before it gets all rusted and set in place. The sooner the better.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:13 AM
New User

T Yudell is starting off with a positive reputation.
Need to use a puller...but the lip to pull it is on the inside of the steering pump shaft...SOL
Old 02-16-2017, 07:57 AM
Senior User

Herb Brooks is starting off with a positive reputation.
I can see what your problem is, but can't recall if there is room to drill a couple of holes adjacent to the shaft and use a bar puller to remove. There is always the cutoff tool route. If the alignment is ok I would maybe run it. Probly not would depend on how quick I needed the truck.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:38 AM
Posting Guru

Can you take it to a shop? I remember when I had my Alternator pulley removed, I took it to a nearby shop and they did the job for really cheap. Something like $20 and it was all done in a few minutes.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:17 AM
Elder User

Fixnstuff is starting off with a positive reputation.
Example: A shop that works on equipment trucks, forklifts etc. should be able to set that up in a small hydraulic press quite easily and get it right off. Therefore I think that any good automotive or truck shop should have enough adaptors and accessories for their hydraulic press to figure that out in a few minutes and get it off. If they can't take it to a better equipped or older shop with more experience.

[EDIT to add] Don't let anyone try to pull it off by the edges with a gear puller as it will bend and ruin it.
If it does get ruined in getting it off- no big deal: MOST of the older Ford trucks in the wrecking yards use the same power steering pumps and pulleys. I needed a power steering MOUNTING BRACKET so I used my power steering pulley remover kit/installer to remove the pulley right in the wrecking yard. You can BORROW a remover kit from the parts stores as a LOANER, place deposit and you get it back when you return the tool. Unethical? It's kinda OK, if you normally buy parts at that store.