6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0L 2005 AC Compressor removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 01:14 PM
Santimanzano
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0L 2005 AC Compressor removal

Tried using the search function but getting nothing but error messages. In light of that, I'll resort to asking for help outright.

2005 F350 6 liter.

AC compressor clutch was toast. Thought it was just the clutch. Started to notice the truck struggling to start, with some smoke on acceleration that was not present before.

Today, paid a guy to replace my AC compressor clutch. He called me out a bit ago to show me what he found.

Looks like it was not the actual clutch. Looks like the bearing on the pulley took a crap. Bearings got wedged between the face of the pulley and the clutch. Mangled up the compressor clutch coil as well. The actual pulley, snapped off the bearing part. Pulley was only held on by the center bolt on the clutch hub. So, long story short, the compressor is locked up. Have to replace it.

This guy tells me he cannot do it, because to remove the compressor ,the motor has to be unbolted from the motor mounts and raised. Is this true? I have a service manual, that does not say anything about that at all. It does indicate that the compressor has to be removed with the third bolt loosened but still in place.

Can I get some guidance/info from more experienced members on the removal of the AC compressor in this truck?

The idler/tensioner pulley has already been removed. The fan shroud has been removed.

He also, without telling me, let my freaking freon out....grrrrrrrr

Thanks

Old 02-12-2017, 01:49 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
The refrigerant had to come out anyways. Be sure to replace the dryer, PAG oil, and orifice tube too.
You do not have to jack up the engine. You do have to be creative with one of the bolts. There's a hole through the crossmember that you can go through with an extension and swivel. It's tight but not a big deal.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:10 PM
Santimanzano
Junior User
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
The refrigerant had to come out anyways. Be sure to replace the dryer, PAG oil, and orifice tube too.
You do not have to jack up the engine. You do have to be creative with one of the bolts. There's a hole through the crossmember that you can go through with an extension and swivel. It's tight but not a big deal.
I knew it would come out, but he had told me he would evacuate it out and reuse it. Since he didn't bring a vacuum pump with him etc, he opted on his own to just vent it out. Thats what irked me about that.

I just texted him and gave him that information to see if he will return to proceed. If not now I'm stuck having to try and do it myself, or I'll have to tow my truck somewhere to have them do it. Live in a condo and its hard to do anything here, not to mention all my tools are in Florida where I just moved from.

Is it just a simple swivel, socket, ratchet and extension? Can you indicate the approx length of the extension in case I go buy one to try on my own?

Old 02-12-2017, 02:14 PM
Tideman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
There are 3 bolts holding it on. 1 on top 2 on bottom. Like 87 says you have to work with one of the bottom bolts thru the cross member.

Edit: if you don't have the simple tools with you I'd sure try to get him to do it. I saw where you said tools were in Fl.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:25 PM
Santimanzano
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tideman
There are 3 bolts holding it on. 1 on top 2 on bottom. Like 87 says you have to work with one of the bottom bolts thru the cross member.

Edit: if you don't have the simple tools with you I'd sure try to get him to do it. I saw where you said tools were in Fl.
Yea, I just moved here to Colorado from Florida. Now I regret not getting this fixed halfway up when I stopped in Kentucky. In Kentucky, the clutch hub was still loose and the compressor was not locked up. I bought a clutch there, and then just figured Id drive the rest of the way without AC and I'd replace it up here. Apparently, the remaining 1000 miles, even without running the AC, managed to tear up the bearings and pulley and lock up the compressor. Kicking myself in the *** now.

Unfortunately, I already paid the guy and he left. I suspect I won't be able to draw him back. My mistake I guess.

I'm not opposed to picking up a swivel and extension, I do have the ratchet and the sockets. A very limited assortment of tools in my toolbag with me. He already removed a lot of stuff that was in the way, so right now looks like Id only have to pull the 3 compressor bolts to get it out, and disconnect the ac lines to the compressor.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:25 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
I can't remember what I ate yesterday. So I can't remember the exact combo. Wish I could but I don't think it was anything fancy. Probably typical 6" & 3" extensions and a swivel with a shallow or deep socket.
I did mine on the ground in wet grass and dirt. But I did have all my tools, AC manifold gauges, & venturi style vacuum pump and shop air. I think I got everything from Advance Auto. Even the big bottle of R134a which paid off in the long run. Pretty sure for the compressor warranty you have to replace the dryer so if you don't have it I'd get it.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:50 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
NOT my video but maybe it will help you some.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:40 PM
Santimanzano
Junior User
thanks for that video link.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:37 AM
Santimanzano
Junior User
well....I can with ease reach one bolt. With extreme difficulty reach a second bolt, though I just can't find a socket that is short enough to allow reaching it, latching onto it and turning it with a swivel. the third bolt I can't even see. Getting so frustrated. If there was a kit available to relocate the AC compressor up to the top of the motor, I'd freaking move it after this repair is done. grrrrrrrr

Old 02-14-2017, 10:08 AM
Tideman
Fleet Mechanic
Do you have an extension with what I call a wobbley on the end. I think that's what I used.
Hang in there, you'll get it.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:25 AM
Santimanzano
Junior User
I do have both wobble extensions as well as standard swivel extensions. A bigger wall I've run into, is not even being able to see the third bolt at all.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:28 AM
Tideman
Fleet Mechanic
Which one? One on top or bottom left or right?

Old 02-14-2017, 02:12 PM
Santimanzano
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tideman
Which one? One on top or bottom left or right?
I removed both of the bottom ones, the 10mm ones. I can see the top, which I was told is 13mm. There is a hole on the engine mount crossmember, but it does not line up with the bolt. The offset between the bolt head and the hole in the crossmember is enough, and the distance between the top of the bolt head, and the cross member, that a 13mm socket on a swivel does not fit between the bolt head and the crossmember. Im frustrated.

That said, I was looking up from underneath the engine, and was staring at the mangled mess of remaining coil windings on the face of the compressor. I thought to myself, "i've not checked to see if the compressor still spins"....so I went inside, got the trashed clutch hub, went and reach up underneath...and hand pressed the hub onto the shaft. Well, holy crap. As you can see in the attached video, the compressor shaft spins freely using only finger pressure.

Is it safe to assume that with this new observation, my compressor is likely ok and not in need of replacement? My information from the guy I had hired, was that my compressor "was locked up" according to him. That had me already having to factor in a replacement compressor, accumulator, dryer, evaporator, etc etc etc. If the compressor spins freely, what are the seasoned group members thoughts on this?

I am attaching a photo of the mangled coil, and a video of the compressor being spun by my fingertips.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:18 PM
Santimanzano
Junior User
Not able to upload the video.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:54 PM
Santimanzano
Junior User
any thoughts on if the compressor is not locked up, if I have to replace it or should I be ok just replacing the clutch, coil and pulley?

Quick Reply: 6.0L 2005 AC Compressor removal