6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

CK-4 Oil for your 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 07:49 AM
06greenstroker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks fellas. Think I'll return the T6 then and go with another brand for now that as mentioned, is a little cheaper.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:35 AM
blkout50
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I changed my engine oil and filter about a 1k miles ago. As always, used Rotella T-6. This was oil in the new bottle and marked CJ-4. No problems... yet!!

I figured that I am not going to worry about it. I keep all my receipts and pics of the bottles used. If I have an engine failure due to Rotella T-6, I'm going after Shell for restitution for mis-labeling their product.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:36 AM
scodav
Freshman User
Originally Posted by blkout50
I changed my engine oil and filter about a 1k miles ago. As always, used Rotella T-6. This was oil in the new bottle and marked CJ-4. No problems... yet!!

I figured that I am not going to worry about it. I keep all my receipts and pics of the bottles used. If I have an engine failure due to Rotella T-6, I'm going after Shell for restitution for mis-labeling their product.

Good luck going after Shell. They have a virtually endless supply of money and lawyers to defend them. What's worst, is the burden will be on you, the consumer, to prove, not on them.

Plus, why even chance it? The documentation I posted shows Shell's T6 isn't approved, so it's just too risky to even try in my opinion.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:16 AM
blkout50
Tuned
Originally Posted by scodav
Good luck going after Shell. They have a virtually endless supply of money and lawyers to defend them. What's worst, is the burden will be on you, the consumer, to prove, not on them.

Plus, why even chance it? There documentation I posted shows Shell's T6 isn't approved, so it's just too risky to even try in my opinion.
No worries here!!! As far as burden, I have receipts and pics that show I purchased Rotella T-6, this was in the new bottle marked CJ-4 oil. Truck is under warranty. If there is a problem, Ford will have to prove it was the wrong oil which will fall back on Shell. CJ-4 is an approved oil. Again, I'm not going to worry about!!

Old 02-13-2017, 07:33 PM
Ultratravler
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree. How many Ford owners read this forum, how many owners go by the owners manual and what is on the bottle of oil? How would you know T-6 is the wrong oil? Just my .02

Dave

Old 02-14-2017, 07:15 AM
scodav
Freshman User
The information is posted for those who do keep up with changes and want to stay within specifications.

Like speed limit signs, they are there to tell you what the specification is, whether or not you follow the specification is up to you.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:29 AM
blkout50
Tuned
The information is posted for those who do keep up with changes and want to stay within specifications.

Like speed limit signs, they are there to tell you what the specification is, whether or not you follow the specification is up to you.
Hmm... so... what you are saying is that CJ-4 is no longer an approved specification for the Ford 6.7 PowerStroke engine(?).

Old 02-14-2017, 08:39 AM
scodav
Freshman User
Hmm... so... what you are saying is that CJ-4 is no longer an approved specification for the Ford 6.7 PowerStroke engine(?).

I didn't say that at all. CJ-4 oils on the previous approved list are still approved. CJ-4 MARKED oils, like the T6 which really had CK-4 are not unless they are on the new approved list.

The Ford specification and the API are two separate things and are mutually exclusive.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:53 AM
blkout50
Tuned
Well then... I'm not sure why you harped on my useage of Rotella T-6 oil in the new bottle that was marked CJ-4(?).

According to Shell and Ford, you are safe to use CJ-4 labeled oil.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:27 AM
scodav
Freshman User
Well then... I'm not sure why you harped on my useage of Rotella T-6 oil in the new bottle that was marked CJ-4(?).

According to Shell and Ford, you are safe to use CJ-4 labeled oil.
So, again, I posted for people to use at their own will. I outlined T6 because Shell released statements saying "Rotella will be approved." and yet it wasn't, at least the T6. Shell did in fact put CK-4 in bottles labeled CJ-4 and there are statements from Shell confirming that fact. Run what you wish, it's your vehicle and your money.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:27 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Actually, Ford has their own "WSS-XXXX" spec, which is really the spec you need to look for on the bottle. Anytime I see a new bottle, I look for it NOW. If you notice, other brands specs are on the bottle, but not Fords...

It's blkout50 Truck, if he is happy using T6 that is up to him... Up until NOW I used Shell... Now looking for another brand... Which is my choice.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:32 AM
scodav
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Dakster
Actually, Ford has their own "WSS-XXXX" spec, which is really the spec you need to look for on the bottle. Anytime I see a new bottle, I look for it NOW. If you notice, other brands specs are on the bottle, but not Fords...

It's blkout50 Truck, if he is happy using T6 that is up to him... Up until NOW I used Shell... Now looking for another brand... Which is my choice.

So, the last sentence on my post "Run what you wish, it's your vehicle and your money."

Old 02-14-2017, 10:27 AM
blkout50
Tuned
Shell did in fact put CK-4 in bottles labeled CJ-4 and there are statements from Shell confirming that fact. Run what you wish, it's your vehicle and your money.
Without testing the CJ-4 oil that I purchased, neither you nor I can confirm that the oil is CK-4, right? "We" can only speculate. What I can tell you for a "fact" is that the label on the oil I purchased has "CJ-4", and as Dakster mentioned, also meets "WSS-M2C171-E" Ford spec.

Another "fact" that I can give you is that my truck has NOT suffered any ill affects (yet!! ) from my last oil change.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:17 AM
Superdave71
Tuned
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Another "fact" that I can give you is that my truck has NOT suffered any ill affects (yet!! ) from my last oil change.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but Ford observed long term wear issues in their testing. You're not going to notice anything in the 1000 miles since your last change.

It's kind of like smoking. Long term cigarette use causes you deal with heart and lung issues, increased risk of cancer etc. Nobody notices the downside to smoking right after they start smoking.......

Old 02-14-2017, 11:33 AM
blkout50
Tuned
Originally Posted by Superdave71
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but Ford observed long term wear issues in their testing. You're not going to notice anything in the 1000 miles since your last change.

It's kind of like smoking. Long term cigarette use causes you deal with heart and lung issues, increased risk of cancer etc. Nobody notices the downside to smoking right after they start smoking.......
You could be right, if indeed it is NOT CJ-4.

I only keep trucks two, maybe three years. I have already owned a 2012, a 2013, and now this 2016. Also countless other diesel pick-ups before that. So for me, it would have to be a short term effect.

Quick Reply: CK-4 Oil for your 6.7