2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Is the Cab and Box really "ALL" Aluminum, or is there some steel too for crash protection?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 02:32 PM
BII Plow Truck
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the Cab and Box really "ALL" Aluminum, or is there some steel too for crash protection?

Just curious if I have to have anything treated / coated to prevent rust?

It's those hidden parts of steel that would concern me, and I don't want to put the blinders on thinking I'm good for 20 years "Cuz the body is aluminum", and some component rusts out after 8 years.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:41 PM
babybober
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BII Plow Truck
Just curious if I have to have anything treated / coated to prevent rust?

It's those hidden parts of steel that would concern me, and I don't want to put the blinders on thinking I'm good for 20 years "Cuz the body is aluminum", and some component rusts out after 8 years.
Well the frame and undercarriage is still all steel. Although the Frame is "supposed" to be all electroplated . Still thinking about Krown'ing the rig after mine comes in.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:18 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
The cab is all aluminum except the firewall is still steel. Supposedly the steel was quieter.

I Fluid Filmed my frame which is still steel.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:12 PM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
A magnet does not stick to any part of the roof of the truck. I tried for some time to attach a mag mount whip antenna to the roof a week or so ago.

Drove me nuts driving down ice road with hand out the window holding the antenna on the roof.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:30 PM
bikerman5345
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a bracket that attaches to the rear brake light that bends over the roof so you can place a magnetic base antenna on it. I think you can google it to find them.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:07 AM
17450KR
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sleepyguy
A magnet does not stick to any part of the roof of the truck. I tried for some time to attach a mag mount whip antenna to the roof a week or so ago.

Drove me nuts driving down ice road with hand out the window holding the antenna on the roof.
You have your truck back now? Everything fixed?

Old 02-08-2017, 07:39 AM
Canwan
Junior User
Originally Posted by bikerman5345
There is a bracket that attaches to the rear brake light that bends over the roof so you can place a magnetic base antenna on it. I think you can google it to find them.
I can't find anything like this. Any chance you could post it?

Thanks

Old 02-10-2017, 02:09 AM
e23barton
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Canwan
I can't find anything like this. Any chance you could post it?

Thanks
Here you go
http://a.co/6UWtV2D

Old 02-10-2017, 05:35 AM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
I was installing mud flaps and toolbox the other day and was putting screws in a magnetic dish. When I put the magnetic dish on the end of the tailgate (while down) it stuck to it. Apparently there is some metal bracing inside the aluminum tailgate. I'm guessing for strength.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:10 AM
dsladdict
Senior User
Here is a link to the testing performed on the 2017 Super Duty....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_iiBHwtV8U&feature=share

Old 02-10-2017, 06:18 AM
dsladdict
Senior User
For some reason the link does not work but you can copy/paste in your address window to get there. Pretty impressive! The frame is very robust. A similar test was performed on the Ram 2500 and you could see the permanent deflection in the frame.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:29 AM
skipcox
Mountain Pass

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsladdict
Here is a link to the testing performed on the 2017 Super Duty....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ii...&feature=share
Wow! That's impressive

Old 02-10-2017, 08:46 AM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
The 2017 Super Duty is the only truck in the 3/4 ton and higher class to rate 5 stars. Not only for frontal crash, but also side and rear. Its amazing that the front doors still opened without cutting or prying after an impact like that. The nay sayers of the aluminum body have been proven totally wrong.

If you watch the NHTSA tests of the Dodge/Ram trucks, they actually crush so bad that the driver dummy had its foot crushed and pinched and it had to be extracted from the truck with severe leg injuries.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:15 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
The 2017 Super Duty 2WD got the overall 5-star rating while the 4x4 only got 4 stars due to higher rollover risk.

In the testing, you can see a couple of things. One, the top of the bed is closer to the rear cab wall than the bottom of the bed...which would suggest some frame bending. Two, the passenger front window comes off its track and actually flies up partway during the collision.

Overall, probably the safest truck on the road and very safe among vehicles in general.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:59 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I was talking to a friend who works for Autoliv who is the maker of the airbags for the SD. He was deeply involved in the design from an early point when Ford provided only the cab from A pillar to C pillar for airbag development. The security in that portion of the company is crazy tight akin to the Manhattan Project he says. They take manufacturer prototype secrecy very seriously. But I digress.

A large reason why the 2017 did so well in the testing is because of a new technique they used in the design of the driver airbag. The problem with most of the small offset crash tests is that the driver tends to hit and glance off the steering wheel airbag to the left. They effectively squeeze in between the wheel and the curtain airbags and suffer injury. The new airbag design in our 2017's provides an extended bag that keeps the driver from going into the corner. It's amazing to hear this from a designer/engineer's perspective. He also said that the new bags are "Egggggsssssspensiiiiive". Safety comes with a price tag so we need to factor that in when comparing last year to this year.

He also told me that the NHTSA will be introducing a new and much more difficult test to pass. All the testing has been done at 35 mph and they are changing that to 55 mph. Yikes! I always thought the small offset was about as insidious as it could get because they purposely line up the impact point OUTSIDE the frame rail and typical crumple zones. This means that the fender and wheel and steering components have to absorb all the impact energy. He said that the Ford does really well on this test because it's steering and suspension components are a lot larger and stronger than the other makes. I asked about the Aluminum but he didn't know there was any data on that yet.

Just kind of interesting and a peak at the future.

Quick Reply: Is the Cab and Box really "ALL" Aluminum, or is there some steel too for crash protection?