1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't Stand Behind 55,000 mile Powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 06:33 PM
BrianF250VA
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you to everyone for the responses. I am not surprised with any of the various view points. To each his own. It is not only a matter of money, it is a matter of principle. A known, flawed part not being fixed. And for those that think $900 is no big deal, feel free to drop a check in the mail

Thanks again for your comments.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:41 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I have never met someone that would think 900 is no big deal.

or willing to give that much away.. its a lot of money. my opinion.

best of luck with getting your truck back up and running.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:13 PM
BrianF250VA
Junior User
Thanks to all those that posted and pointed me in the direction of the reps here on the Forum. Forum got me in touch with regional manager. Didn't do a damn bit of good though.

As previously stated - Ford Won't Stand Behind 55,000 mile Powerstroke

Old 02-01-2017, 01:16 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by BrianF250VA
As previously stated - Ford Won't Stand Behind out-of-warranty Powerstroke
There you go, fixed that for ya

Old 02-01-2017, 01:28 PM
BrianF250VA
Junior User
Originally Posted by andym
There you go, fixed that for ya

Yup. You did. Thanks!

To answer your earlier post that there must be more to it than the $900 repair charge - nope. It is a matter of principle. The commercials advertise how strong, best in class, quality, blah blah blah. Didn't even get 100,000 because of a known weak part that WOULDN'T BE FIXED during the warranty period unless it had ACTUALLY BROKEN. (second part of your initial post about having the TSB addressed while under warranty)

Amazes me how many are okay with a diesel breaking down, for whatever reason and time, at 55,000 miles.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:57 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
You are missing the point.. its out of warranty..

if you had wanted longer. it was available...

there was a Line in the sand.. and you crossed it. 55,000 is not 50,000..

Sorry for your troubles..

Old 02-01-2017, 02:13 PM
BrianF250VA
Junior User
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
You are missing the point.. its out of warranty..

if you had wanted longer. it was available...

there was a Line in the sand.. and you crossed it. 55,000 is not 50,000..

Sorry for your troubles..

I appreciate your opinion.

I'm not missing the point about the warranty. Its out. Got it. But not by miles. By time. Warranty is 5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Again, I know it is out of warranty.

I'm questioning how the quality of a motor can be measured by time? "Oh, you had it for five years, the stress put on it by it sitting in your driveway caused the failure." I guess I should have taken it out and beat the hell out of it for 100,000 miles.

I asked Ford to stand behind their product with assistance on the repairs due to a known issue. I did not ask for my warranty to be extended. I did not ask for Ford to cover the entire cost of the repairs.
I asked Ford to put their money where their mouth is when they talk about the quality of their trucks and stand behind their product.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
F250 Brochure.pdf (3.16 MB, 112 views)
Old 02-01-2017, 05:39 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,345 Likes on 1,753 Posts
BrianF250VA...

I see your point. If the failure you experienced at only 55K was random, and not a known issue, then you would have quietly accepted the unlucky incident.

But that isn't what happened. With your 2011 6.7L PSD's particular engine failure, you report finding plenty of evidence that not only did this same problem happen to many other owners of 2011 6.7L Ford engines, but that Ford also knew that the problem existed, having had that knowledge for the last five years when your warranty was in full force and effect, and having further issued a specific service procedure and parts to address the problem. On top of that, you point out that Ford made changes to the engine the very next model year to address the particular problem.

What you are asking for is some consideration, given that had you driven the truck more frequently, you might have amassed the typical number of miles needed for this known problem to manifest itself, and therefore might not have been burdened with the entire cost of redressing Ford's engineering defect.

Again, if it were a surprise or random or anomalous issue that had no resounding history of identical failures in similar engines with similar miles, you would have no complaint. But because Ford knew that this was an issue that was likely to happen through no fault of your own, you feel that Ford at the very least could help defray the cost in some way, by perhaps offering the parts at cost, or splitting the cost of dealership labor, or offering some other token consideration that would help make amends for the disappointing performance of an engine that you purchased brand new... with the expectation that it would be relatively problem free for at least the number of miles it was factory warranted for, even if it took you a bit longer than five years to accrue those miles.

I just felt the need to make this post so that you can be assured that at least someone out there is really listening to you, and genuinely understands the point you are making.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:18 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
I do see the OP point..

I was burnt way worse... Chrysler 7 and 70.. at the 3 year point with 20,000 miles.... thousands of dollars in needed repairs.. for my past Ram 1500..

Chrysler flat out LIED... several times. and I was a mechanic.. for the other brand.

I will NEVER purchase another New vehicle.. or one with a warranty.
I have worked with warranty issues for customers all my life..
this Business is not your fathers world.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:50 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Not driving lots of miles can be a negative.
My wife's '04 Explorer, bought new, had incorrect trans fluid installed at factory. Recalled at 12 months, inspection showed "not enough" damage no need to replace.
10 years later at 50k miles, trans won't shift in to gear, needs replacement trans. $4k for new rebuilt trans, no assistance from Ford, despite having paperwork on recall. We now expect it to run a long time!
Spent a lot more on my '97 Chevy Tahoe, head replacements - twice, cat converters, transmission, a/c system.
No vehicle is perfect, no warranty is perfect, into every life a little rain must fall.
Make lemonade out of Lemons.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:37 PM
BrianF250VA
Junior User
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
BrianF250VA...

I see your point. If the failure you experienced at only 55K was random, and not a known issue, then you would have quietly accepted the unlucky incident.

But that isn't what happened. With your 2011 6.7L PSD's particular engine failure, you report finding plenty of evidence that not only did this same problem happen to many other owners of 2011 6.7L Ford engines, but that Ford also knew that the problem existed, having had that knowledge for the last five years when your warranty was in full force and effect, and having further issued a specific service procedure and parts to address the problem. On top of that, you point out that Ford made changes to the engine the very next model year to address the particular problem.

What you are asking for is some consideration, given that had you driven the truck more frequently, you might have amassed the typical number of miles needed for this known problem to manifest itself, and therefore might not have been burdened with the entire cost of redressing Ford's engineering defect.

Again, if it were a surprise or random or anomalous issue that had no resounding history of identical failures in similar engines with similar miles, you would have no complaint. But because Ford knew that this was an issue that was likely to happen through no fault of your own, you feel that Ford at the very least could help defray the cost in some way, by perhaps offering the parts at cost, or splitting the cost of dealership labor, or offering some other token consideration that would help make amends for the disappointing performance of an engine that you purchased brand new... with the expectation that it would be relatively problem free for at least the number of miles it was factory warranted for, even if it took you a bit longer than five years to accrue those miles.

I just felt the need to make this post so that you can be assured that at least someone out there is really listening to you, and genuinely understands the point you are making.

Thanks for the post.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:39 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much you looking to get out of the truck?

Old 02-02-2017, 09:35 AM
BrianF250VA
Junior User
Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
How much you looking to get out of the truck?

Well, in my area, NADA trade range is $26,500-$27,000 and KBB trade range is $27,400-$31,600 so I'll have to see what the Chevy or Dodge dealerships are offering after I get it fixed.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:52 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,345 Likes on 1,753 Posts
Another new FTE member posted yesterday about his 6.7L that had a bearing failure at only 40,000 miles. Cab off, motor out, needed new short block. Tech said metal was strewn all throughout the motor. Member posted the actual work order, and was concerned that if metal bits and pieces and powders were strewn throughout the motor, but only the short block was replaced, then other problems would crop up later.

The repaired engine only had a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty... meaning that at 52,000 miles, the "100,000 mile" 6.7L Powerstroke, that commanded an almost $10,000 price premium at purchase, will, after already having to have been rebuilt once, have had it's warranty exhausted at 52,000 miles... similar to your premium engine being out of warranty at 55,000 miles.

This member's truck was in the shop for more than 2.5 months. He finally got the truck back, and sold it the next day.

Stories like his and yours would really give me pause before buying a used one. These stories also adjust my expectations regarding the long term reliability of even a new one. It appears that the people who derive the most satisfaction from owning these things are the folks who don't own them for long. They trade out of them every 5 years, before the warranty times out, never mind the mileage. Selling would probably be a good idea in your case. Buyers... beware.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:03 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,630 Likes on 1,644 Posts
OP, I understand your problem and truly empathize with you, but I think you may be delusional if you think any of the other brands are going to do differently.
When I had my Jeep Wrangler, I frequented the Jeep forums, and there were multitudes of people that had problems with Fiat and their warranty service; and I personally got burned by GM while still inside the warranty window (truck had less than 36000 and less than 1 year old)!!!
I personally believe that many of these problems are caused by dealers/ service writers much more than corporate; but what I think doesn't account for much!
Best of luck with whatever brand you go with!!

Quick Reply: Won't Stand Behind 55,000 mile Powerstroke