Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 F250 4x4 4 speed build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 09:13 AM
Eggs2bacon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here’s one door on the truck. Next time I’ll have someone help me. I had to hold the door and put the four bolts in at the same time. Which is a huge pain in the rear!

Oh and I sanded down the fender for fun, I’m fixing to pull the bed and start restoring the rear frame. But I dont really know where to keep the bed at?!

Old 01-01-2019, 02:42 PM
Eggs2bacon
Senior User
Well she’s become the ugly duckling! But now I have power doors/windows. Don’t worry. I have plans in store!

Old 01-01-2019, 03:21 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
That parts truck looks better then 90% of the trucks I've ever owned!

Your truck is a beast! It's looking good. It has come a long ways since you got it. I love the 80-86 front end conversion on the 87-91 trucks. Besides a coat of paint, the only thing that I see, it needs is a big beefy front bumper and the front dually hubs & wheels.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:00 PM
Eggs2bacon
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordman75
That parts truck looks better then 90% of the trucks I've ever owned!

Your truck is a beast! It's looking good. It has come a long ways since you got it. I love the 80-86 front end conversion on the 87-91 trucks. Besides a coat of paint, the only thing that I see, it needs is a big beefy front bumper and the front dually hubs & wheels.
Dont you worry I have a plan for all the above. Just need warmer weather. Here’s an extra pic of the front wheels I have tucked away in the garage.

Got these for 20 bucks....

Old 01-02-2019, 09:51 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Cool! Looks like you've got the wheels/tires covered. Sounds like you also got them for a great deal too! I had to buy a pair of wheels for my 91 F-Super Duty ( aka F450 ) . And I think I paid either $75.00 or $100 for each wheel with no tires. But they are a pretty heavy 10 lug steel wheel.

Too bad you don't have a nice king pin D60 solid front axle tucked away in there too!

Old 01-06-2019, 08:46 AM
Eggs2bacon
Senior User
Originally Posted by 19nindee
How’s she lookin now

slow and steady. I’m trying to figure out how to pull the bed off to start restoring the rear end. But since I don’t have a good method, I’m probably going to start cutting the bed to pieces and clean it up and rebuild a new bed.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:32 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Eggs2bacon

slow and steady. I’m trying to figure out how to pull the bed off to start restoring the rear end. But since I don’t have a good method, I’m probably going to start cutting the bed to pieces and clean it up and rebuild a new bed.
If you want to pull the bed by yourself in one piece. Use a saw hose method. Use some kind of crossbars that you can slide in under the bed on top of the truck frame. They have to be long enough to stick out each side of the bed enough to support them and still be able to roll the truck out from under them. They can be steel tube or lumber as long as it's strong enough to handle the load. Then unbolt the bed and use some kind jack. It could be some kind of hi-lift style bumper jack or a floor jack with some kind of post on the pad. Jack up the end of each crossbar. When you get it high enough to clear the truck chassis place a A-frame in under it. Then go to the other side of the same cross bar and repeat. When you get the A-frame under each side you basically end up with a huge sawhorse. You will need one towards the front of the bed and one towards the rear. Once the bed is raised and supported you can roll the truck out from under it. I've used this method to remove truck boxes and Bronco body tubs. If you think ahead and make the crossbars long enough you can make it so you can back a trailer right in under it once the truck is out. Then do the reverse order of things to lower it onto the trailer.

But if the plan is to just get rid of the bed then cutting it up from the start will make it more manageable. But the above method can be quicker. I've done it both ways.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:17 PM
Ddaybc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont you worry I have a plan for all the above. Just need warmer weather. Here’s an extra pic of the front wheels I have tucked away in the garage.

I'm glad I came across this thread. Excellent build.
I want to run the same type of wheels on my 92. Do you know if you need spacers to use the stock axle? It's the Dana 50 TTB. I haven't figured out what to use in the rear as I don't want to go the dually route.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:57 PM
Eggs2bacon
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ddaybc
I'm glad I came across this thread. Excellent build.
I want to run the same type of wheels on my 92. Do you know if you need spacers to use the stock axle? It's the Dana 50 TTB. I haven't figured out what to use in the rear as I don't want to go the dually route.
ive heard of the Dana 50 axle being able to use Dana 60 “spacers” that you bolt on to use the dually style wheel. If you want to run these wheels than yes you will need some sorta spacer. To run these dually wheels you will need about a 4 inch spacer to clear everything since the offset is so extreme. But I cant say I fully understand what you are wanting to do with these wheels if your not running a dually?

Old 01-07-2019, 02:18 AM
Ddaybc
Elder User
But I cant say I fully understand what you are wanting to do with these wheels if your not running a dually?
I simply like the look of the F350 style of wheels. I certainly don't need them but they always catch my eye whenever I see a truck with that style of wheel. I dunno, maybe I'm a bit weird I guess. :-)

Old 01-07-2019, 06:22 AM
Eggs2bacon
Senior User
Smile

I simply like the look of the F350 style of wheels. I certainly don't need them but they always catch my eye whenever I see a truck with that style of wheel. I dunno, maybe I'm a bit weird I guess. :-)
Its all good! I would never want to discourage someone else’s project unless safety was involved. I’d say plenty of research always helped me before I’ve started anything. Where are you located at?

Old 01-07-2019, 06:33 PM
Ddaybc
Elder User
Where are you located at?
I live in Grand Forks, British Columbia Canada just North of the US/BC border. Are you in Canada or the US?

Old 01-11-2019, 06:01 PM
Eggs2bacon
Senior User
I live in Grand Forks, British Columbia Canada just North of the US/BC border. Are you in Canada or the US?
I’m in Oklahoma

Old 01-11-2019, 06:28 PM
Ddaybc
Elder User

I’m in Oklahoma
Ah, so not close enough to go for coffee! LOL

Old 02-11-2019, 03:47 PM
Eggs2bacon
Senior User
Decided to try something temporarily till I get my adapters
2/4 of the dog bowl caps I have from the SRW wheels

Side view

Painted and “Simulated” for the Dually look. I know I’m not fooling anyone. But hey it works for now

Quick Reply: 1987 F250 4x4 4 speed build thread