Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

1985 f600 forestry package (Aerial lift/chip box) project

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 10:07 AM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm yeah I'm not finding much on that I know my dump has a toothed gauge for it which I need to check that sumtime since I got the light out but you think timing being off could be making the need to eaz into gas pedal but idle fine or is this vacuum related cuz I don't have any vac lines hooked up still

Old 08-17-2017, 10:18 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 300 Likes on 157 Posts
The lack of vacuum advance might cause problems, but this sounds more like it's flooding from too much gas. The accelerator pump is too big maybe. There's a cam on the throttle that activates the accelerator pump. A smaller (less drastic) cam might help.

Now that it idles, can you see which vacuum port has NO vacuum at idle? That's the one you want to hook the vacuum advance to. the one pointing towards the front of the truck on the dizzy.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:25 AM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass
I know exactly what cam thing your talking about as throttle is pushed it opens acc pump up more and more the further you push throttle is that a replaceable thing?? And how do I see which port has vacuum does it suck or blow and you said the one that foes nothing is what I'm looking to hook to

Old 08-17-2017, 11:35 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
The port you want SHOULD suck air only when you open the throttle.

And yes, accelerator pump cams can be replaced. You can buy a kit and try each one, but - what color is the cam that's on there now?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-20-12

Old 08-17-2017, 01:04 PM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass
I think it's brown and ok I hooked that up to a port that was sucking at idle and it seemed to run better that was the port it was originally hooked to before I started Project but you say one port does nothing at idle and sucks when u give gas

Old 08-17-2017, 01:05 PM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass
That's what advance should be hooked to?

Old 08-17-2017, 01:55 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
advance should have NO vacuum at idle.

If the carb is adjusted in a way that the throttle plates are open too far, you'll get vacuum on the "ported" vacuum port. Weird as it sounds, and dirty as it sounds, I usually just put the vacuum hose to the tip of my tongue to check for vacuum

There was a port on that carb, way underneath in the front, that looked like ported vacuum - if that has vacuum at idle, you need to turn the idle down until it doesn't. Which will probably stall the engine. Which is why I wanted to check the timing, because it might be way off.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:04 PM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass
Yeah I was about to mess with that port there and can't get it to start back up now think it's flooded but I'm gonna let it sit and try to start it again and check that port under front and the other port I could hear it sucking when I took plug off and I put finger on jus to be sure it was sucking so if the other port under has vacuum also that means idle is adjusted to high?

Old 08-17-2017, 02:17 PM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass
And back to the timing deal I wish I knew how to check timing cuz that's always good to check but every other time I've had a timing issues (note it was on 4cyl cars) I couldn't get them to start ,never had timing issues where engine would run... not saying that timing isn't it cuz it very well could be because hell idk how the last person even checked it cuz I have looked everywhere for that tab gauge thing is seems to me it would be on passenger side sumwhere but this truck has hydraulic brake pump and alternator and the left smog/air pump thingover there ran off serp belt so maybe thats why idk I wish I knew that's why I'm jus trying to do every other thing now til I find info on timing tab gauge thing but it's hard to find info on that hell my book I have on this truck don't even talk about it

Old 08-17-2017, 02:21 PM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass
Manuals are pretty shysti if u ask me I prefer YouTube the play by play and you have access to rewind to watch over and over again lol but I do always buy books for stuff I'm working on even tho it frustrates me that they do absolutely no details what so ever or if they do it's on sumthing that is usually an easy fix

Old 08-17-2017, 02:53 PM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass
Ok so nvm I found marks I feel like a jack@$$ it was filthy as ever and is not able to be seen from top I found it by laying under it and feeling around it and found a big hunk of dust/grease/oil buildup so I'm gonna have to hope I can shine timing light in there enough and use mirror to see cuz all that other stuff is totally in the view.... maybe this is gonna be the ticket jus gonna have to hope my light will fit in there gonna test it out and get back with you

Old 08-17-2017, 05:13 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by Diymechanicmike
Yeah I was about to mess with that port there and can't get it to start back up now think it's flooded but I'm gonna let it sit and try to start it again and check that port under front and the other port I could hear it sucking when I took plug off and I put finger on jus to be sure it was sucking so if the other port under has vacuum also that means idle is adjusted to high?
What happens is, when you retard the timing, the idle drops. So if someone didn't realize the timing was off, and raised the idle by adjusting the carb, the "ported" vacuum port will start to pull vacuum.

Let's see what happens when you check the timing. Be careful not to get the wires caught in the belts

Old 08-17-2017, 06:13 PM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass
I been running into every thing possible fuel wasn't getting to carb all of a sudden thought it was my ghetto fuel delivery system got air in it cuz I have step gas tank with inline pump at top so I have to pressure up tank yo get fuel to the pump to prime system but unfortunately it was the squirter(can't think of name) that give fuel to combustion chamber it was plugged from when I cleaned carb guess there was a lil more trash in there that I missed must have been inside of ports but also adjusted fuel float again cuz it was still flooding out side screw but now it's right level with screw hole so should be good on that letting fuel evap off intake now to start it back up

Old 08-17-2017, 06:23 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
the accelerator pump squirter?

Old 08-17-2017, 06:38 PM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass
Timing is pretty close to right on the line on crank it jus above the pointer while it's running would that make huge deal

Quick Reply: 1985 f600 forestry package (Aerial lift/chip box) project